-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good on you Scott...after Id talked to the Sheriff and neighbor, Id turn my yard into a free fire zone....the neighbor got their one freebie IMHO...

Last edited by ingwe; 02/21/12.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here in NM, any dog harassing livestock, may be shot on sight! Not sure people get that protection, though.
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get the hole dug now, they'll be back. Will save you some time when the time comes. When the time comes, there should be no more phone calls.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There won't be. I just hope there is never a next time.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
at least it was dogs, not a two legged problem. it would be much harder on the mind i think to have to shoot a human than a menacing dog.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad the boss, you, and the ducks are alright!

grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If someone is genuinely menacing, it will get a lot easier.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Never ceases to amaze me how many dipschitts move to an acerage and think they can let their dogs run loose to bother the neighbors or wildlife. When I bought mine, fencing in my horses was the first thing that happened. I did all the posts and box braces first then the wire and stretching. I was clipping and stapling my wire when the neighbors Rottweiler decided to come over and run me off. All I had was a 28 oz Estwing claw hammer but he backed off after I stood my ground and hollered at him.went over to my pickup and put on my 357. About a half hr later the neighbor came over, looked at my SW and asked if their was a problem . Told him no problem but you keep your Rottie at home cause next time you will have to load him up and haul him home.He got an attitude about that, but a couple weeks later his Rottie tried to bite a little girl who was with her folks that were there to visit the dog owner( they were family friends). After that deal, he took care of his own problem with the 12 ga..My dogs have allways lived in kennels with runs and they might drool on someone but are friendly. I made a point in the 13 years of living here of hiring everyone of my neighbors kids to feed and water them when I needed to go out of town. So they know everybody and everybody knows them. Was part of my plan to be a good neighbor. These days some folks just don't get that. Goodluck Scott it sounds like you have a good plan to talk with the Sheriff. magnum man

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Scott F
But I drew a fired my carry weapon tonight. I was in the basement of the daughters house reloading a bunch of 45ACPwhen my wife jumped through the door and dropped the laundery. Now in 33 years of knowing this lady I have never heard her scream, she just is not the screaming type, but this was a close as I have ever heard her to a real scream. There were three Boerboels in the yard, one in our duck pen doing it's best to kill our ducks, one just watching and one stalking the wife. I hit the back yard and drew the 1911. three quick rounds into the ground and all I saw were Boerboel butts.My daughter was on the phone with the owner and he was begging me not to shoot his dogs. He can move pretty fast when his thousand dollar dogs are in my sights. All ended well and I think he will work harder at keeping them in.

So when some ask why I carry every day all day and wonder if I live in some sort of paranoia I will just smile and know I carry because I love my family and my farm.

I've come close to killing dogs around here. One took out half our chicken flock a couple years ago. His owner was a 13 year old girl down the road, and he was a neat little dog, chicken-killing aside. That said he'd used up his lives around here.

One of the more effective tools I've used in debating guns with my liberal friends is to point out how different it is out in the country. Anti-gun people tend to concentrate in cities; give them some actual, real life tales of guns as tools in the country and you can at least get them to concede that gun restrictions that apply across the board are unfair and unreasonable in the country. From there the next debate step is to point out that their left-wing fear of a fascist government doesn't exactly jibe with their notion of ONLY the government being armed! And if they are still hanging in, an exploration of what makes a free man, free, usually opens eyes.

But anyway Rick- I've been pretty much exactly where you just were; you did good. That said, the dogs MAY have learnt a lesson, or not. Once they start chasing livestock it's hard to break them, especially if they taste blood.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just read about the breed. Here is what the website says:

"When bored, become very destructive"
"Bred in Africa as guard dogs; willing to fight lions"
"Average size of 110 to 175 pounds"

Growing up, the neighbors cat would come into the chicken coup when we had chicks. My Dad told the neighbor over and over to take care of the cat or he would. They threatened to call the cops if he shot the cat because of the no-shooting ordinance. So, he took some wire leader material and snared it and then left it hanging by its neck on fence for them to find. The End.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Right now you are way ahead of the game assuming no dead ducks. Sounds good to just start killin but in the real world lots of unintended consequences.

Much wisdom in that comment........much as we all might want to do what we want to do, distorted & misguided laws, judges & courts fail to use much common sense.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crosshair
Message to the owner, "This one's on me, next one's on you."

Message has been sent and then stated verbaly. He was pretty ticked I weoud shoot one of his thousand dollar dogs for chasing a duck but he got the message to keep his fences up and his dogs at home before he got pissed and hung up on my daughter.

The timing was right as he heard my shots over my daughters phone and then could hear them for real as we are only about seven hundred yards apart as the crow flies. He is pissed but he got the message.

He was pissed at you because his dogs were on your property and you ran them off with warning shots? What a dick. I'd let him know that he needs to get a handle on his dogs AND his attitude. Its not your job to "make peace" with him, it's his job to do so with you

Drum

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Glad to hear everyone, including the ducks, are OK.

Really glad to know you carry everywhere! grin

I hope the "neighbor" gets the message and you don't have any more problems.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well in Florida warning shots can get you in trouble, on Ag land running livestock is reason enough to shoot dogs and is covered by statute as is menacing any human anywhere.

I don't do warnings to critters chasing the horses, cattle, goats or feathered livestock, that includes cats in the hen house or trying for chicks or ducklings.

Don't know the law where you are Scott but any critter threatening my wife or another human will assume room temp real fast.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Scott, that is a very mature and diplomatic way to handle the situation.

I suspect that the neighbor was p*ssed because he knew that he was in the wrong. Cant blame him for not liking that place.

At least the neighbor knew enough to hang up rather than get into an argument and staple himself into an even more indefensible position. Particularly since he was talking with, what I suspect, was a very upset young lady.

I wish Scott well in working this out to a mutually agreeable truce.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just returned from a visit to the sheriff's office. Talked to a nice man there who already knows the dog's owners and watches him closely. He was fine with what I did and made it clear that is the dogs come back and I feel they are a threat to me, any family of farm guests, pets, or livestock I can kill them all. He was fine with the warning shots and said my actions were the response of a good neighbor who was using his head.

I just hope there is not a next time but if there is there is a record of last nights incident.

Now to recover my losses. I have found the three empties, I have recovered the lead. I will cast up, lube and reload the three spent rounds. It is a Scottish thing. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had to Google Boerboel! Never heard of them either! Yikes, that's quite an animal(s). Can't say what I would have done had I been there, but maybe you gave them a reason to NEVER come back!

WAR EAGLE!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had the same type of thing happen with my next door neighbor. We each have acreage but he insisted on having his 9 dogs, mastiffs and st bernards, run free. It didn't take long to convince him that he was in the wrong, just one visit from the sheriff with the knowledge that he gave me the go ahead to shoot any dog threatening my family. That happened after my wife got into a dangerous situation in our own yard while I was at work.

The neighbors didn't like me for a while, but if they don't have any more sense than that, then to hell with 'em.

It worked out OK , and now I have permission to hunt and cut wood on the neighbors place. That never would have happened if I had shot one of his dogs, eventhough it would have been legal to do so in that one circumstance.

The dogs still bark way too much though.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have recovered. grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just returned from a visit to the sheriff's office. Talked to a nice man there who already knows the dog's owners and watches him closely. He was fine with what I did and made it clear that is the dogs come back and I feel they are a threat to me, any family of farm guests, pets, or livestock I can kill them all. He was fine with the warning shots and said my actions were the response of a good neighbor who was using his head.

I just hope there is not a next time but if there is there is a record of last nights incident.

Now to recover my losses. I have found the three empties, I have recovered the lead. I will cast up, lube and reload the three spent rounds. It is a Scottish thing. grin

Good news!
cool

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,026
Posts18,500,526
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.