Home
But I drew a fired my carry weapon tonight. I was in the basement of the daughters house reloading a bunch of 45ACPwhen my wife jumped through the door and dropped the laundery. Now in 33 years of knowing this lady I have never heard her scream, she just is not the screaming type, but this was a close as I have ever heard her to a real scream. There were three Boerboels in the yard, one in our duck pen doing it's best to kill our ducks, one just watching and one stalking the wife. I hit the back yard and drew the 1911. three quick rounds into the ground and all I saw were Boerboel butts.My daughter was on the phone with the owner and he was begging me not to shoot his dogs. He can move pretty fast when his thousand dollar dogs are in my sights. All ended well and I think he will work harder at keeping them in.

So when some ask why I carry every day all day and wonder if I live in some sort of paranoia I will just smile and know I carry because I love my family and my farm.
Originally Posted by Scott F
...one stalking the wife. I hit the back yard and drew the 1911. three quick rounds into the ground and all I saw were Boerboel butts.My daughter was on the phone with the owner and he was begging me not to shoot his dogs. He can move pretty fast when his thousand dollar dogs are in my sights. All ended well and I think he will work harder at keeping them in.
I bet you his memory would work a lot better had you killed that one as a firm reminder. You are a better man than me.
Any dog should be shot having a name like that.....
Hey, Scott - glad you were ready, and hope the ducks - and your wife - are all OK. You probably showed more restraint than many among us would. With any luck, the neighbor gained some essential knowledge and respect.
You are a better man than I Scott, they would have been dead meat in my yard, especially the one menacing my wife.

Most certainly if it was a breed such as they are.
Scott, I would have had to drop the dog
Shot into the ground? Good thing you don't live in New Hampshire, Scott! laugh
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Shot into the ground? Good thing you don't live in New Hampshire, Scott! laugh

In his situation, the exact same way it already did...or would in Florida wink

George
I had never heard of a Boerboel until now. Those dogs would scare the hell out of me too.
I try to get along with that neighbor even if he is more than trying at times. Second time in a week I have called him to tell him is dogs were running free on my place. He has seen me carrying, I open carry on the farm sometimes and now he knows I will shoot. I could hear him talking to my daughter begging me not to shoot his dogs. I think this may motivate him to keep them home. The next time they threaten human or livestock there will be Boerboel blood and body parts.
Scott I took a cold bite from a timber rattler a few years back running some Pex irrigation pipe for one our gardens close to the timber..made a believer out of me as I don't leave home without my 1911 anymore.
Scott F,

The one "stalking the wife" would have been fired upon if it was my wife. If the duck hunter didn't leave from fear it would know what heaven is like.
Good for you.

I generally give the owner a heads up, but if they are seriously after people, well....

Hindsight is 20/20 but if that solves the problem then you are miles ahead of dealing with a yard full of dead dogs.

Right now you are way ahead of the game assuming no dead ducks. Sounds good to just start killin but in the real world lots of unintended consequences.
But I drew a fired my carry weapon tonight. I was in the basement of the daughters house reloading a bunch of 45ACPwhen my wife jumped through the door and dropped the laundery. Now in 33 years of knowing this lady I have never heard her scream, she just is not the screaming type, but this was a close as I have ever heard her to a real scream. There were three Boerboels in the yard, one in our duck pen doing it's best to kill our ducks, one just watching and one stalking the wife. I hit the back yard and drew the 1911. three quick rounds into the ground and all I saw were Boerboel butts.My daughter was on the phone with the owner and he was begging me not to shoot his dogs. He can move pretty fast when his thousand dollar dogs are in my sights. All ended well and I think he will work harder at keeping them in.

So when some ask why I carry every day all day and wonder if I live in some sort of paranoia I will just smile and know I carry because I love my family and my farm.
excuse me but what is a boerboel ?? understand a dog but never heard of that breed
Originally Posted by Ringman
Scott F,

The one "stalking the wife" would have been fired upon if it was my wife.
Why on earth would your wife stalk his wife and even if she would, would it really warrant shooting her? crazy

What in the hell is a Boerboel?

Scott, very glad to hear no one was seriously injured

I had to Google it. Boerboel is not a breed I have run into before, even though I like mastiffs.

You were very kind, to let them off with a warning. If they come back, it means they're either really dumb, or ready for a fight...and I'd be ready to drop them without hesitation.
Yeah, give the neighbor a warning if their dogs are causing problems. Pretty easy to tell if a stray dog is just goofing off around the cows.

I found 3 dogs so far this year that needed to get 270'd.

Found about 4 more that just needed to get hollered at and chased off with the pickup.

Yesterday afternoon my dad was looking out the window and noticed the horses acting weird. Walked down and here's a big goofy dog being a dumbass. Old horses and they weren't taking any chit from the dog so it was a harmless situation.

Dad hollers at the dog and here stands up a drunk Indian who sitting over in some trees. Turns out he was looking for sheds and wound up 'resting' in the little horse pasture. Dad said well whatever move it along.
Boerboel

[Linked Image]

I killed a Pit mix that had killed several goats. Mostly my neighbors but one of ours. A 22lr threaded through the ribs dropped it and two the head to be positive it was dead.

Next time shoot one to teach the neighbor you are not joking around.
Yeah I'd shoot that fugger just for lookin dangerous.

Farmer/rancher back home had had enough of some local trash that let their dogs run free. He called them up to come get their dogs that were loose. They exclaimed that their dogs weren't running loose. He replied back that they were correct, that they were laying in his pasture with bullets to the head. Didn't have problems after that.
I shot a neighbours dog a few years ago and became the most unpopular person in the neighbourhood.
The owners version was I saw her dog walking down the road, raced out the gate and shot it. That's what she told everyone that night on the phone.
The real version was her dog came up through our paddock, harassed a paddock full of calves, bit two calves, carried on from there to our house cause it heard my kids pet goat. It went round the house and killed the goat just as my son was coming out to feed it then growled at him, snapped at him and took off down the road when he threw the goats milk bottle at it. That was when I took off down the road with the .44-40 and shot it. Then I took it to her house and dumped it on the lawn.
She had been warned by me before that about her dog being on our land.

I now have zero tolerance for wandering dogs.
I keep my dogs under control, if other people can't do the same I put their dog in the permanent "lay down, now stay" position.
Consider making a vicious dog complaint to the authorities.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Yeah, give the neighbor a warning if their dogs are causing problems. Pretty easy to tell if a stray dog is just goofing off around the cows.

I found 3 dogs so far this year that needed to get 270'd.

Found about 4 more that just needed to get hollered at and chased off with the pickup.

Yesterday afternoon my dad was looking out the window and noticed the horses acting weird. Walked down and here's a big goofy dog being a dumbass. Old horses and they weren't taking any chit from the dog so it was a harmless situation.

Dad hollers at the dog and here stands up a drunk Indian who sitting over in some trees. Turns out he was looking for sheds and wound up 'resting' in the little horse pasture. Dad said well whatever move it along.

You know "batschit" when you see it!
I bet you guys have interesting "guests" from time to time.
There would have been one dead dog there. Glad you and yours came through fine Scott.
Originally Posted by ldholton
excuse me but what is a boerboel ?? understand a dog but never heard of that breed

Look here for description and pictures. https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=boerboel&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
You're a good man Scott and a better man than me.

After looking that breed up you are most definitely a better man than me.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Consider making a vicious dog complaint to the authorities.

We are blessed to have a really good sheriff here. I plan to make a visit to his office in the morning. I will let him know I have seen these same three dogs on my place twice in the last seven days. We have sheep, llamas, and ducks as well as two dogs. I think he will see it my way as well as advise me on what to do to protect my farm and myself.
Stray dogs ranging on cattle land has long been an issue with cattle farmers. As a kid, I took care of such problems when I could. Neighborhood boys would shoot their .22's at roving dogs on their places and these dogs got smart, knowing just how far they needed to be.

That worked until they got to our place. .22LR range was a mistake for those dogs, because a certain teenage boy with a .244 Rem 40XB, moving 60 gr. Sierra's at a very respectable clip, was ready for them. A good number ended their roaming careers right there. Buzzards harassing new born calves didn't fare very well, either.

DF
Originally Posted by ranger1
I bet you guys have interesting "guests" from time to time.

I got to drive a cop SUV once in hot pursuit after the cop got out and ran though some trees after the perp.....grin

My dad actually got the guy out in a field. Jumped out of the pickup with an ax handle. Dude(out of towner, stole a new pickup and ended up down on the riverbottom, crashed....) was so tired he just layed down.

Never any bad trouble though.

Message to the owner, "This one's on me, next one's on you."
Hahaha - The cuzzins are ALWAYS entertaining folks - and generally pretty decent too.
Oh and one more point, lambs will be here any day now. During lambing I stay on eagle watch, cougar watch, bear watch, and dog watch. The eagles get yelled at and chased, the rest are not treated so nice.
Just re-read - I guess the out of towners can be just as entertaining.
Cuzzin was from Harlem(MT), go figure.....grin
Originally Posted by crosshair

Message has been sent and then stated verbaly. He was pretty ticked I weoud shoot one of his thousand dollar dogs for chasing a duck but he got the message to keep his fences up and his dogs at home before he got pissed and hung up on my daughter.

The timing was right as he heard my shots over my daughters phone and then could hear them for real as we are only about seven hundred yards apart as the crow flies. He is pissed but he got the message.
Scott, you are more even tempered than I and more level headed too. I would have been going for the triple and getting it done rfn. Magnum Man
If there is a next time that may well be what happens. So far tonights exercise achieved the desired results without the loss of blood or a neighborhood feud. That was my goal. I will talk to the sheriff and my neighbor tomorrow and see if I can ensue peace and harmony. wink
Good on you Scott...after Id talked to the Sheriff and neighbor, Id turn my yard into a free fire zone....the neighbor got their one freebie IMHO...
Here in NM, any dog harassing livestock, may be shot on sight! Not sure people get that protection, though.
Mark
Get the hole dug now, they'll be back. Will save you some time when the time comes. When the time comes, there should be no more phone calls.
There won't be. I just hope there is never a next time.
at least it was dogs, not a two legged problem. it would be much harder on the mind i think to have to shoot a human than a menacing dog.
Glad the boss, you, and the ducks are alright!

grin

If someone is genuinely menacing, it will get a lot easier.
Never ceases to amaze me how many dipschitts move to an acerage and think they can let their dogs run loose to bother the neighbors or wildlife. When I bought mine, fencing in my horses was the first thing that happened. I did all the posts and box braces first then the wire and stretching. I was clipping and stapling my wire when the neighbors Rottweiler decided to come over and run me off. All I had was a 28 oz Estwing claw hammer but he backed off after I stood my ground and hollered at him.went over to my pickup and put on my 357. About a half hr later the neighbor came over, looked at my SW and asked if their was a problem . Told him no problem but you keep your Rottie at home cause next time you will have to load him up and haul him home.He got an attitude about that, but a couple weeks later his Rottie tried to bite a little girl who was with her folks that were there to visit the dog owner( they were family friends). After that deal, he took care of his own problem with the 12 ga..My dogs have allways lived in kennels with runs and they might drool on someone but are friendly. I made a point in the 13 years of living here of hiring everyone of my neighbors kids to feed and water them when I needed to go out of town. So they know everybody and everybody knows them. Was part of my plan to be a good neighbor. These days some folks just don't get that. Goodluck Scott it sounds like you have a good plan to talk with the Sheriff. magnum man

I've come close to killing dogs around here. One took out half our chicken flock a couple years ago. His owner was a 13 year old girl down the road, and he was a neat little dog, chicken-killing aside. That said he'd used up his lives around here.

One of the more effective tools I've used in debating guns with my liberal friends is to point out how different it is out in the country. Anti-gun people tend to concentrate in cities; give them some actual, real life tales of guns as tools in the country and you can at least get them to concede that gun restrictions that apply across the board are unfair and unreasonable in the country. From there the next debate step is to point out that their left-wing fear of a fascist government doesn't exactly jibe with their notion of ONLY the government being armed! And if they are still hanging in, an exploration of what makes a free man, free, usually opens eyes.

But anyway Rick- I've been pretty much exactly where you just were; you did good. That said, the dogs MAY have learnt a lesson, or not. Once they start chasing livestock it's hard to break them, especially if they taste blood.

I just read about the breed. Here is what the website says:

"When bored, become very destructive"
"Bred in Africa as guard dogs; willing to fight lions"
"Average size of 110 to 175 pounds"

Growing up, the neighbors cat would come into the chicken coup when we had chicks. My Dad told the neighbor over and over to take care of the cat or he would. They threatened to call the cops if he shot the cat because of the no-shooting ordinance. So, he took some wire leader material and snared it and then left it hanging by its neck on fence for them to find. The End.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Right now you are way ahead of the game assuming no dead ducks. Sounds good to just start killin but in the real world lots of unintended consequences.

Much wisdom in that comment........much as we all might want to do what we want to do, distorted & misguided laws, judges & courts fail to use much common sense.

MM
Originally Posted by crosshair

Message has been sent and then stated verbaly. He was pretty ticked I weoud shoot one of his thousand dollar dogs for chasing a duck but he got the message to keep his fences up and his dogs at home before he got pissed and hung up on my daughter.

The timing was right as he heard my shots over my daughters phone and then could hear them for real as we are only about seven hundred yards apart as the crow flies. He is pissed but he got the message.

He was pissed at you because his dogs were on your property and you ran them off with warning shots? What a dick. I'd let him know that he needs to get a handle on his dogs AND his attitude. Its not your job to "make peace" with him, it's his job to do so with you

Drum
Glad to hear everyone, including the ducks, are OK.

Really glad to know you carry everywhere! grin

I hope the "neighbor" gets the message and you don't have any more problems.

Ed
Well in Florida warning shots can get you in trouble, on Ag land running livestock is reason enough to shoot dogs and is covered by statute as is menacing any human anywhere.

I don't do warnings to critters chasing the horses, cattle, goats or feathered livestock, that includes cats in the hen house or trying for chicks or ducklings.

Don't know the law where you are Scott but any critter threatening my wife or another human will assume room temp real fast.
Scott, that is a very mature and diplomatic way to handle the situation.

I suspect that the neighbor was p*ssed because he knew that he was in the wrong. Cant blame him for not liking that place.

At least the neighbor knew enough to hang up rather than get into an argument and staple himself into an even more indefensible position. Particularly since he was talking with, what I suspect, was a very upset young lady.

I wish Scott well in working this out to a mutually agreeable truce.
Just returned from a visit to the sheriff's office. Talked to a nice man there who already knows the dog's owners and watches him closely. He was fine with what I did and made it clear that is the dogs come back and I feel they are a threat to me, any family of farm guests, pets, or livestock I can kill them all. He was fine with the warning shots and said my actions were the response of a good neighbor who was using his head.

I just hope there is not a next time but if there is there is a record of last nights incident.

Now to recover my losses. I have found the three empties, I have recovered the lead. I will cast up, lube and reload the three spent rounds. It is a Scottish thing. grin
Had to Google Boerboel! Never heard of them either! Yikes, that's quite an animal(s). Can't say what I would have done had I been there, but maybe you gave them a reason to NEVER come back!
I had the same type of thing happen with my next door neighbor. We each have acreage but he insisted on having his 9 dogs, mastiffs and st bernards, run free. It didn't take long to convince him that he was in the wrong, just one visit from the sheriff with the knowledge that he gave me the go ahead to shoot any dog threatening my family. That happened after my wife got into a dangerous situation in our own yard while I was at work.

The neighbors didn't like me for a while, but if they don't have any more sense than that, then to hell with 'em.

It worked out OK , and now I have permission to hunt and cut wood on the neighbors place. That never would have happened if I had shot one of his dogs, eventhough it would have been legal to do so in that one circumstance.

The dogs still bark way too much though.
I have recovered. grin

[Linked Image]
Just returned from a visit to the sheriff's office. Talked to a nice man there who already knows the dog's owners and watches him closely. He was fine with what I did and made it clear that is the dogs come back and I feel they are a threat to me, any family of farm guests, pets, or livestock I can kill them all. He was fine with the warning shots and said my actions were the response of a good neighbor who was using his head.

I just hope there is not a next time but if there is there is a record of last nights incident.

Now to recover my losses. I have found the three empties, I have recovered the lead. I will cast up, lube and reload the three spent rounds. It is a Scottish thing. grin

Good news!
cool
Recycle! grin
It is a Scottish thing. grin

Boy, that explains a lot!
grin
Scott, you showed a great amount of restraint for being in the position you were put into. You might want to call the county animal control about the incident. That way, if you do have to shoot for blood, you will have a track record of your neighbors dogs trespassing and their threatening behavior toward your family and livestock. It would really worry me if my grandkids were outside running around with those dogs on the loose. mad
Scott I hope you reported to the Sheriff as the county takes a real dim view of dogs attacking people and livestock. Just ask a couple of dog owners out on the Coyle Peninsula. By reporting the incident to the Sheriff puts the dog owner on notice if it happens again and it covers your donkey.
Great outcome Scott, and man what a fast recovery. Did you find any unburnt powder? smile smile smile
They are some powerful beasts. I'd keep a rifle a bit more handy, as the other two may be a ways off after the first one drops & you can get back on target.

That type of dog, loose, is absolute lunacy. Hope the neighbor realizes that the free pass has been used.
The deputy I talked to this morning when I went to the sheriff's office was the head of animal control. He gave me his full blessing to shoot if they came back. He was careful to word it that if I felt threatened in any way for people, pets or farm animals. He knows the owner of the dogs and keeps a close eye on the place. He was invited to drop in anytime he passes. If he does I will go into pusher mode and sent eggs home with him. Once hooked he will be a farm customer for life. wink

I know there are the jack booted thug types out there like the Canton, OH officer who made the news a while back. I am extremely thankful that there do not seem to be any around here. The man I talked to today could not have been better for my cause. He even laughed when I told him about firing three rounds into the dirt and seeing nothing but dog butts headed out the gate.

I like living here. With luck this is where I will be until I go Home. smile
Originally Posted by T LEE
Great outcome Scott, and man what a fast recovery. Did you find any unburnt powder? smile smile smile

Vacuumed for an hour but could not find one flake. mad
Damn the luck! smile smile
That stuff should not be waisted!
I agree, waste not, want not!
I carry as much for dog control as I do bad guy prevention. The only time I drew and fired my weapon inside city limits was on an attacking Pit/ Charpei mix. That dog in winnie's picture looks really similar ot the one I hollow pointed a few years ago.

So glad this turned out well for you, I just KNEW that I should have driven over there when you posted about the loose felon. If I had left then I would have been there just in time to make doggie stew!
We are taking nacho pile up and pineapple upside down cake to Bible study. You are not only going to miss that you also missed me climbing on the roof to clean the chimney. That alone would have been worth the drive. wink
Doggie stew.....

Dig deep, bow-wow at the bottom.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Doggie stew.....

Dig deep, bow-wow at the bottom.

I remember that story from my grandfather when I was around 5 or 6.

I just hope the problem gets fixed. We are now closing the gate, something we never do and is a huge pain in the butt. I think the owner got the idea he had better keep his high dollar dogs home. He did not like the idea we would even think about hurting one of his thousand dollar dogs over two ducks. Guess he thinks his dogs should just be able to do what they want.

I do know my neighbor at the next driveway down the road will not hesitate to kill any of his dogs that get near his place. There is no love loss there either.
He did not like the idea we would even think about hurting one of his thousand dollar dogs over two ducks. Guess he thinks his dogs should just be able to do what they want.

It's the principle of the matter, 100%.

Guy sounds likes a major dumbass, either he's arrogant or just ignorant to the ways of the country.

Well, to make nice nice with that neihbor, should you someday have to perforate a puppy, you COULD invite him over for some of the stew..... smile

THAT would make it all better, I am sure.
A long time ago I sold a Ruger Single Six to our department secretary.

Years later, I had occasion to call the company and I'll be darned if she didn't answer. So we had a fun few minutes catching up on old times.

Then she said, "Remember that gun you sold me? I used it to dispatch the neighbor's dog the other day. And as far as anyone knows, it still belongs to you." (giggle giggle)

Turns out the dog was on his third trip through her chicken coop, and that she had warned the owner after the two previous incidents. Third time, bang. The dog owner called the police and threatened to sue. The police told the ownersthat they didn't quite understand the situation. They owed my friend for chickens, and the loose dog was automatically their problem, not hers anymore.

For some reason, I've always enjoyed recalling that conversation.
[quote=denton

For some reason, I've always enjoyed recalling that conversation. [/quote]

As did I. Thanks

870 by the back door with #4 buckshot ought to be on your shopping list.

Mossberg 500 with seven rounds of #2s. It is what I own and what we will use. Wife knows how to make it talk and in 33 years I have never seen her miss with a rifle or a handgun. I doubt she will miss with a shotgun.

Just saw on the other thread you had a shotgun handy.

Good job.
There is a CZ in 22 K-hornet sitting in another corner. If dogs or wolf get into the sheep then I will put it to work. I can and have broken five paintballs at a hundred yards with the little CZ. I think that is minute of big dog at 300. 40 gr V-Max still have enough to slow down a big dog when they enter one ear and exit the other.
My next rip out your way, I will have some Tungsten Iron mix #T shot on hand to donate.
grin
I mean, uh.... err TRADE for some Pineapple Upside down cake!
... There were three Boerboels in the yard, one in our duck pen doing it's best to kill our ducks, one just watching and one stalking the wife. I hit the back yard and drew the 1911. three quick rounds into the ground and all I saw were Boerboel butts.My daughter was on the phone with the owner and he was begging me not to shoot his dogs. He can move pretty fast when his thousand dollar dogs are in my sights. All ended well and I think he will work harder at keeping them in. ...

The owner of these dogs is very foolish, one does not let such dogs roam around, specially as a group.

I hope they will not hurt somebody and make you regret your forgiving treatment of this matter.
Once dogs pack up it's game over.
Pick out the leader, shoot it in the guts. It'll flop(135 SMK/270 Win of course) and start howling, next in line will run up to alpha like WTF.

Smoke it next.

By that time the rest of 'em will be high tailing it out.

Only when needed, shooting dogs sucks but sometimes it's the only thing to do.

Those dogs, especially the one stalking my wife, followed by the one going after the livestock, would have died.
Scott;
I'm glad to read that your livestock survived the ordeal and that your local law enforcement were reasonable to deal with as well. It makes life so much more simple when folks are sensible about such matters.

Not that I have extensive experience with such things Scott, but the one coyote that we called in close enough to receive a charge of steel T's resulted in a very memorable postmortem for me. He was kind of "loose" all over inside. wink

So a vote for Mark's tungsten T's as a yard load from me! grin

All the best to you and yours my friend. As always you remain in my daily thoughts and prayers.

Dwayne
Glad to hear that you have fully recovered excepting the powder, primers, some gasoline to the sheriff's office, and some adrenaline.

From what you are saying, Sam Olsen is probably right, the dog owner is ignorant of the local 'etiquette'.

It also sounds like others have had run ins with those dogs. This probably means that if you can prevent the dogs from getting onto your property, it will be somebody else who will end up having to shoot the dogs. Sad, but not having to participate in dog owner's problems has its benefits.

Curious though, at what weight is a four legged critter going to be too big for even a .45 to make a quick effective kill? I remember JJHack concluding that it wasn't enough for a black bear.
BC30cal

The same Officer Scott talked with got another call about two years ago from another friend of mine out on the Coyle Peninsula about twenty miles from Scott's place. A neighbor's two dogs came into her place and killed about half of her her prize goat herd. Her daughter's boyfriend killed one of the dogs and the other went went home. When the officer arrived he took the collar off the dead dog, which had the owner's name and address on it and went down to the owner's home and asked to see their dogs as they had been caught in the act of killing goats and the owner denied that her pets would do a thing like that. The officer and the owner went back to the kennel and the other dog was in the kennel covered in blood. When she was asked how come it was covered in blood she said oh it must have gotten into a fight with a bear. That was when the deputy told her that it was caught killing goats and that her it's mate wouldn't be coming home as it was laying dead in the neighbor's goat pen. He then took the remaining dog in custody and it was destroyed.

I know the officer in question and the wife and I have had a number of conversations with him over the years.
Without using names I will say he is one heck of a nice guy almost our age.
Originally Posted by deersmeller

The owner of these dogs is very foolish, one does not let such dogs roam around, specially as a group.

I hope they will not hurt somebody and make you regret your forgiving treatment of this matter.

Today the owner was seen working on his fencing and the dogs were in all day.

The next time they are here they die. I have done my part and it up to the owner to do his. I hate playing the bad ass but I know I have to draw a line.

For what it is worth these three live and work together. They are livestock protection animals who live and work in the highest cougar concentration in the US and in heavy black bear population. They are trained by keeping them with goats and llamas. I have never seen them threaten a human of any size. The one that looked to be stalking my wife was probably looking to be petted but in the dark it was hard to tell. It did look spooky to her and finding herself suddenly surrounded in the dark unnerved a lady who is not easily unnerved. She has taken on bear and moose in the past without being armed. I have seen her sit in a creek and let water snakes swim between her feet. She has lived with me for almost 33 years. eek She does not spook easily. They spooked her but I do not believe she was in any real danger.

But, they will not do it again.
Dogs, even good ones, can get sucked into chasing birds. My lab and little poodle-creature even take a spin at our free-range chickens now and again, just to see them scatter and cluck.

If they are trained dogs, good around goats etc, you SHOULD be ok now.

Shoot 'em if not.

Another time I almost shot a dog was during a flood. Went out by the goat pasture because they were agitated. In my flashlight, I spot a very large, very wet, very unhappy Doberman (or similar). He was up against a fenceline, obviously lost. Weather was crazy. He finally started trying to leave and went within 30 yards of the goats. Wanted NOTHING to do with them but he was in the crosshairs of a .223 the whole time.

I'm a dog lover, big time. I'd hate to shoot someone's dog. I've had my dogs be a problem for others; when we bought this place ~20 years ago, our city dog didn't translate well to the country; killed a couple of the neighbor's goats. That sucked. So, I do have empathy for both sides, but in the end... shoot 'em if you need to.

I think that if you look hard you might just find a few hanging around here at times. None of the present company, though. whistle
laugh laugh laugh
Had you been on the border it might have had a different outcome by your shooting the dirt. Also if you try that up here with any of the predator bears you will be the one in the dirt.
Officer, it wasn't a "warning" shot. I was shooting to kill, I'm just a bad shot.
Originally Posted by AKHntr
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post
Shoot in the dirt if you so choose but I will never do that. Too many that second guess the threat in front of them end up in a bad way. First rule of thumb is to neutralize the threat and that does not mean shooting in the dirt. I deal with predators often and scaring them off is a temporary measure every time.
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

Some people with single digit IQs cannot seem to comprehend that it is useless to reply to someone who has them on ignore.
I am not responding to you. What part of INet forums decor do you not understand? I am responding to your simplistic post in which you chose to shoot into the dirt when a threat was before you and that in and of itself says volumes about one's IQ I would think. In my experienced opinion, all you did was stave off a bad situation that is sure to return to haunt you.
I guess some people just cannot be taught.
Guess you are right. Especially those that willfully choose to close their minds to other's thoughts and those that think they know it all already. The OP does not own the thread. sorry for you but that is the way it is.
I just remembered something that happened two weeks ago. I saw something move in the back of the orchard. I went over to my grandmother's house, out the window I caught a glimpse of my cat running and jumping on top of the hay stack.

Two dogs (bull dog and a mutt) came running from the orchard barking at Tanner (my cat). I ran to the house, put on my holster, went out to the stack and yelled. The dogs turned and started to bark at me. I pulled this

[Linked Image]

And shot one in the ground close to me. The two dogs stopped, then fake charged me. Two more in the ground in front of them and they took off back to the neighbor's.

A week later and the bulldog (cost her 1500) was stolen due to the fact she let it go wherever it pleased.

Same lady I had the peacock problem with. mad

S.S.S my young freind.
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I just remembered something that happened two weeks ago. I saw something move in the back of the orchard. I went over to my grandmother's house, out the window I caught a glimpse of my cat running and jumping on top of the hay stack.

Two dogs (bull dog and a mutt) came running from the orchard barking at Tanner (my cat). I ran to the house, put on my holster, went out to the stack and yelled. The dogs turned and started to bark at me. I pulled this

[Linked Image]

And shot one in the ground close to me. The two dogs stopped, then fake charged me. Two more in the ground in front of them and they took off back to the neighbor's.

A week later and the bulldog (cost her 1500) was stolen due to the fact she let it go wherever it pleased.

Man I hear ya on the peacocks. They are tasty though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

[Linked Image]

Man I hear ya on the peacocks. They are tasty though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mmmmmmmmmmmm peacock breast.
Cut a pocket in it, stuff them with crushed pecans and cranberries, wrap them in bacon, wrap the whole thing in foil and bake them in the oven slowly. Just before you think they're cooked unwrap the foil and grill them for a few minutes to brown them up.
Thank you! I will try that when they breed up & get out of hand again. This was the second time I've knocked the flock back. Others, here at the end of my rural road, shoot them too. But they don't eat them.

Heck... I might even have a stray pack of breasts in the big freezer. However- these were some tough birds. We made pan-sausage and meatballs and so on with 'em. After we tried the first stir-fry or whatever I mean. smile

(I'm ok with chewy meat. Even the meatballs were tough from these birds. Time of year? I don't know. )

They die like a turkey but taste more like a pheasant.
1960 � Carol Anne and I honeymooned in a Forest Service fire lookout on Jay Point in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness Area (Idaho).

Two years before, a "pet" bull moose killed the lookout couple's pup. The year before we were there, he kept the lookout girl in the outhouse all day. (They'd been hand-feeding him salt. We didn't give him any.)

He charged me twice in two days. A .44 Magnum between his ears made him flee in a scrambling all-legs-every-which-way panic. (I shot over his head, between his ears, from about ten yards or less in front of him � I still have a "freeze-frame" mental image of lodgepole needles drifting off a high limb behind him.)

The third morning, he charged Carol Anne as she was on her way to the outhouse. He ignored my warning bullet over his head as he ran by me. The next ones � IN the head � put him down, hard, without a twitch. I don't think that I ever emptied any handgun so fast, before or since! (Cast Keith-Ideal 429421 and 22 grains of 2400, in case anybody's hungry for the load data.)

The warden was furious � frustrated because he couldn't hang me. I'd sent him word after the first time when the bull charged me, and he was on his way up to the lookout with salt blocks on a pack horse, to "salt" the bull away from the lookout, when he heard my .44. Had said ne'er a mumblin' word to me � not even to acknowedge that I'd sent word down � so I had no idea that he was on his way up.

That didn't soften things a bit � just made him madder. Jerk!
Boerboels are sure cute, aren't they?

Doesn't this 'n' look sweet 'n' cuddly?

[Linked Image]
I have enjoyed a few bordello's in my day I also shot a few rounds
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

I think that if you look hard you might just find a few hanging around here at times. None of the present company, though. whistle

I gotta back off on that last part as it looks like a couple of the "flakiest" just showed up....
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

[Linked Image]

Well, the one on the right, not so much, but the other one, maybe.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

They die like a turkey but taste more like a pheasant.

They are pretty tasty. wink

I do not know how to compare mine to a turkey since I had to help him down with from a oak tree with my 1300.

Originally Posted by Ken Howell

[Linked Image]

Holy crap on a stick!

I hope that girl is a midget!

If any of the three had faked charged me or even stood their ground they all three would have died right then.

I guessed they would run if I shot and I guessed right this time. If I had to do it over again I still would fired into the dirt. I still feel it was the right thing to do. Next time I fire into dog.
Your dog problem is huge, the ones that chased my cat were a french bulldog and another small mutt. If need be, I could have stepped on them and they would have died. grin

They probably will be back sooner or later.

I used to give dogs at least one free pass, but not any more.

A few years back there were two dogs running around the area that belonged to someone several miles away. I saw them at least three times and let them go every time, once even giving them a couple warning shots from a .22 mag. Then one day I caught them chasing deer in our back pasture, as Sam said, they got .270'd.

No more problems.
Have a neighbor who kept a pack of dogs. He told another neighbor the only reason he kept them was to chase deer off is place. It got reported to the local game warden and the game warden went over and had a little conversation with owner of the dogs, he told him that if he had to come back on another complaint he would issue him a citation but he didn't think he would have make a return trip as the neighbors had a tendency to handle the problem without his intervention.

Needless to say word got back to him that I was the one that called the Game Worden so I got blamed for the whole affair as a result of that visit the number of dogs at his place has declined, the local deer herd is happier, and there has been need for the SSS scenario.

That was about ten years ago.

As a dog owner, I"m thankful you gave him a warning. The dogs sure aren't to blame but they are often the ones to die... I've done the same thing many times. A shot usually convinces them life is better somewhere else.
Shoot in the dirt if you so choose but I will never do that. Too many that second guess the threat in front of them end up in a bad way. First rule of thumb is to neutralize the threat and that does not mean shooting in the dirt. I deal with predators often and scaring them off is a temporary measure every time.

I know I shouldn't... but I will reply. A great friend is a guide in the great state that you refer to as home. In all his years as a brown/grizz guide, they've had close encounters and never had to kill a bear yet. Much less a dog. Speaks worlds of their professionalism.

I have other friends in the great state also, that also have never had to. Mind you if it comes down to it every last one would kill if need be.

Some people just jump the gun too quickly IMHO.
© 24hourcampfire