Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They probably will be back sooner or later.

I used to give dogs at least one free pass, but not any more.

A few years back there were two dogs running around the area that belonged to someone several miles away. I saw them at least three times and let them go every time, once even giving them a couple warning shots from a .22 mag. Then one day I caught them chasing deer in our back pasture, as Sam said, they got .270'd.

No more problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a neighbor who kept a pack of dogs. He told another neighbor the only reason he kept them was to chase deer off is place. It got reported to the local game warden and the game warden went over and had a little conversation with owner of the dogs, he told him that if he had to come back on another complaint he would issue him a citation but he didn't think he would have make a return trip as the neighbors had a tendency to handle the problem without his intervention.

Needless to say word got back to him that I was the one that called the Game Worden so I got blamed for the whole affair as a result of that visit the number of dogs at his place has declined, the local deer herd is happier, and there has been need for the SSS scenario.

That was about ten years ago.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
But I drew a fired my carry weapon tonight. I was in the basement of the daughters house reloading a bunch of 45ACPwhen my wife jumped through the door and dropped the laundery. Now in 33 years of knowing this lady I have never heard her scream, she just is not the screaming type, but this was a close as I have ever heard her to a real scream. There were three Boerboels in the yard, one in our duck pen doing it's best to kill our ducks, one just watching and one stalking the wife. I hit the back yard and drew the 1911. three quick rounds into the ground and all I saw were Boerboel butts.My daughter was on the phone with the owner and he was begging me not to shoot his dogs. He can move pretty fast when his thousand dollar dogs are in my sights. All ended well and I think he will work harder at keeping them in.

So when some ask why I carry every day all day and wonder if I live in some sort of paranoia I will just smile and know I carry because I love my family and my farm.

As a dog owner, I"m thankful you gave him a warning. The dogs sure aren't to blame but they are often the ones to die... I've done the same thing many times. A shot usually convinces them life is better somewhere else.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AKHntr
Shoot in the dirt if you so choose but I will never do that. Too many that second guess the threat in front of them end up in a bad way. First rule of thumb is to neutralize the threat and that does not mean shooting in the dirt. I deal with predators often and scaring them off is a temporary measure every time.

I know I shouldn't... but I will reply. A great friend is a guide in the great state that you refer to as home. In all his years as a brown/grizz guide, they've had close encounters and never had to kill a bear yet. Much less a dog. Speaks worlds of their professionalism.

I have other friends in the great state also, that also have never had to. Mind you if it comes down to it every last one would kill if need be.

Some people just jump the gun too quickly IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 57 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,981
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.