Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They may or may not go up, who knows. I'm thinking they will eventually appreciate. However, I wouldn't plan my retirement around a collection. If so in the long run they are something to enjoy and have some fun with.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Huh...and I was just starting to like my ultra Lightweight...grins

MK
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Melvin24

Compare the bolts, then try & field-clean a 700 compared to a NULA or Forbes.....

Sorry no glorification here lads grin

You just described exactly what I mean... it's a glorified M700 (ie, an elevated M700)... just like a Kimber 84 is a "glorified" M70.

Not sure how that's hard to comprehend and is certainly not a put-down.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still curious about the bedding...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I'm curious too.

I've always considered FL bedding "cheating" to get accuracy and it's not how I want a rifle set-up.

Likely pole-vaulting mouse turds on my part, but there it is.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Brad
Seemed like Dave Petzal was pulling stuff out of his hat on the fly.

If I were involved in any aspect of selling some sort of outdoor product, I'd do my damnedest to keep it outta DP's hands. I hear/see him and all I can think is "Pompous Condescension".

Back to the topic @ hand, I'll be interested to handle a Forbes. It'll have to really be "something" for me to go that route vs. Kimber.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There's a video with Melvin Forbes talking about the Forbes rifles. IIRC he said NULA cutomers will still have customer service on existing NULA rifles if NULA shuts down. It seemed that's one reason he got involved with the Forbes rifle project.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think that may be one of the big reasons. Mr. Forbes has a strong sense of responsibility for what he does and the rifle he makes.

Have often thought if Nula eventually closed and I was still kicking it would be wise to acquire some rifle specific parts.

Last edited by battue; 02/26/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You just described exactly what I mean... it's a glorified M700 (ie, an elevated M700)... just like a Kimber 84 is a "glorified" M70....

Isn't everything Brad ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDFinn

You just described exactly what I mean... it's a glorified M700 (ie, an elevated M700)... just like a Kimber 84 is a "glorified" M70....

Isn't everything Brad ?

Not really... A Wby MkV for instance.

The Kimber and NULA bear more of a resemblance to their parents than most.

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
For less than half the price of a NULA there has to be some corner cutting somewhere, barrel cost is only around $80 retail, I'd be curious to know if the action is truly the same exact one or are there some differences, same with the stock, will have to wait and see but so far it's way ahead of the Montana mountain Ascent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a guess, but I'm thinking most of the cost reduction is through mass production and the lack of hand fitting which sounds like it is the case with the NULA rifles. Imagine what it would cost to hand assemble any American car made these days.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Aside from the barrel, the "cost cutting" comes from mass manufacturing of the action, rather than each being made in what's essentially a small machine shop.

It's been interesting reading this thread. It reminds me a lot of the threads on Berger VLD's, with a lot of speculation and assumptions from people who have obviously never even shot a NULA or ever talked to Melvin Forbes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Isn't everything Brad ?

Not really... A Wby MkV for instance.

The Kimber and NULA bear more of a resemblance to their parents than most.

Might as well included a Ruger #1 too.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Regarding barrel flexing..I agree with you. Poor choice of words by Petzal. Really, has anyone seen or flexed their barrel by hand, ever...in their lives? Yup, that's what I thought.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Imho, It's going to be mass produced clone of the Nula. Not much hand fitting, which accounts for $$$ on the rifles price tag. Mass produced receivers, stocks. He will still build his Nula with the grace of his hands, hand fitting, acute attention to detail through out the rifles assembly/making. Kimber better start to worry, once these rifles get out with a SS barrel! I think even a blued barrel Fobes rifle will take customers away pretty quick.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Here is a good link that answers alot of question, bedding, how made, etc. One question, are E. R. Shaw barrels the same as Bulldog barrels?

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/forbes-rifle-model-24b-review-2/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntsville
Here is a good link that answers alot of question, bedding, how made, etc. One question, are E. R. Shaw barrels the same as Bulldog barrels?

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/forbes-rifle-model-24b-review-2/

Thanks for that. It still doesn't clarify whether it's a no.1 or no.2 barrel, but it looks like a no.2.

If so, I'll likely be a 30-06 owner.

I especially like the Timney he uses which locks the bolt when in "safe."

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Huntsville,

No, Bulldog barrels are NOT the same as E.R. Shaw barrels.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To be fair, lets put everything into perspective and consider some history to boot.

I have handled NULAs and spoken with Mr. Forbes on a couple of different occasions. His rifles are VERY nice and he can be quite cantankerous grin (As is my dad and 94 year old grandfather. Both of which I love and respect.). Mr. Forbes' "Colt adventure" had to have soured him on the whole idea of mass production! Thus the decade-ish time period between the Forbes Rifle and the hosing by Colt. I think Mr. Forbes has yet to recoup all of his investment in that endeavor! If I'm not mistaken, the man had to go to court to regain the rights to his intellectual property.

That said, The Forbes Rifle might very well be Melvin's swan song!! Maybe whomever/whoever has been contracted to make/assemble these actions/rifles will show his brainchild the respect it deserves and follow a proven recipe! Colt overthought and pimped a rifle that spent too much time in the beds of penny pinchers!

If the Forbes Rifle endeavor will stay true to Melvin's concept and roll out both the 20 and 24 actions, We just might see some real competition in the quest to make the best and affordable lightweight rifle. As Brad mentioned, it will be akin to the M70 vs M700 saga, but in the lightweight realm. It would be wise to reflect on the real and marketing attributes of the 70 v 700 "arms race"! smile

If Forbes can keep the costs similar, all the while looking for newer and more innovative ways to bring the Forbes Rifle on par with his fully custom rifles, he will have created a major player in the lightweight game!! I consider his NULA rifles to be the Model T of this genre and nothing would tickle me more than to see the Forbes Rifle come to the same or similar fruition!

I wish him well. I hope he doesn't let the Colt debacle make him too reluctant to go all-in again! I like his hand much better this time!

WAR EAGLE!

Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (320090T, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, 25 invisible), 1,268 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,980
Posts18,519,946
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.