Hop To
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Melvin24

Compare the bolts, then try & field-clean a 700 compared to a NULA or Forbes.....

Sorry no glorification here lads grin

You just described exactly what I mean... it's a glorified M700 (ie, an elevated M700)... just like a Kimber 84 is a "glorified" M70.

Not sure how that's hard to comprehend and is certainly not a put-down.

The Kimber has about as much in common with the M700 as M70. The NULA has a few more points in common with the M700, but when comparing the NULA and M700 side by side, the M700 looks a little crude.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Kimber has about as much in common with the M700 as M70.

The tubular receiver and separate recoil lug notwithstanding, the notable points of the Kimber action (three-position safety, full-length mauser-style extractor, standing ejector, and CRF operation) clearly favor the M70 by a good margin.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by spiwonka
Imho, It's going to be mass produced clone of the Nula. Not much hand fitting, which accounts for $$$ on the rifles price tag. Mass produced receivers, stocks. He will still build his Nula with the grace of his hands, hand fitting, acute attention to detail through out the rifles assembly/making. Kimber better start to worry, once these rifles get out with a SS barrel! I think even a blued barrel Fobes rifle will take customers away pretty quick.

If the Forbes rifle's accuracy is consistant from rifle to rifle, kimber had better watch out!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's the actual, off the rack price diff between Kimbers and Forbes?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
but when comparing the NULA and M700 side by side, the M700 looks a little crude.

Well, yeah... that's why it's glorified laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 338Federal
What's the actual, off the rack price diff between Kimbers and Forbes?

Until the Forbes hits the shelf, no one will realy know.

Can say, I've bought most of my MT's for no more than $1050 new.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
When I contacted Mr Forbes he was sighting in rifles at his range, or in-between it.......
He was a gentleman in every aspect of the word, without once asking me to cool off with the 5 odd questions I had for him.
The second time we spoke was the same deal......always happy to share. I think he was taken back(chuffed) that this rifle was my dream rifle for a LONG TIME & I would hunt with it until I move on.......my go to......

I have dealt with enough gunsmiths to know. Mel is all class!

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
And sold$$$ a good many rifles at that to get 1. Best rifle ever & I have had my fare share......! wink

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Petzal flexing a barrel?

Where are my waders!

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Not sure what he was trying to prove with that stunt!

Do the Forbes 24B come with any kind of accuracy guarantee?

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Imho, It's going to be mass produced clone of the Nula. Not much hand fitting, which accounts for $$$ on the rifles price tag. Mass produced receivers, stocks. He will still build his Nula with the grace of his hands, hand fitting, acute attention to detail through out the rifles assembly/making. Kimber better start to worry, once these rifles get out with a SS barrel! I think even a blued barrel Fobes rifle will take customers away pretty quick.

By offering CM only, Forbes/NULA/whatever, lost at the gate. I don't think Kimber has anything to worry about other than trying to move faster to get rifles in their customers hands and filling all those back-orders....

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bearstalker
By offering CM only, Forbes/NULA/whatever, lost at the gate. I don't think Kimber has anything to worry about other than trying to move faster to get rifles in their customers hands and filling all those back-orders....

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Do the Forbes 24B come with any kind of accuracy guarantee?

If I owned Forbes Rifles I would offer an accuracy guarantee only to folks who guarantied me they knew how to shoot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lot of guessing going on, so I'll throw a guess in also.

My guess is that the Colt adventure was a very profitable one for Mr. Forbes.

They bought him out and then he bought it back for less and kept on rolling.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bearstalker

Two ways to look at it.
It seems Kimber now have their [bleep] together from my last rifle(Montana 84L) I received, which is a damn sweet rifle for those $.
But the 2 Montana's I had before that(first production runs of 84M & 8400. 308Win & 338WM) where POS, although they shot good........Issues with feeding.....etc....).
So what we have is 10 odd years of ironing out 'bugs' for Kimber. And like I stated. All seems to be solved.

NULA/Forbes on the other hand has had allot more time to work through the bugs. And all rifles have some, some just more than others......
So the Forbes rifles have a head start with their pedigree in NULA to let the good times roll straight up......without too many issues.

It's going to be a tussle but there will be always men that want CRF with 3 position Model 70 safety on the shroud & others that lust PF with 2/3 position safeties near the tang........
It can only be a good thing for us & the future UL loonies out there wink

Last edited by Melvin24; 02/26/12.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Could care less about CRF and three position safeties, but CM is a deal killer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny, I'm the reverse... I like CRF and 3-pos.

What I can't stand is the rain/freezing water collector that is the safety slot on M700's and its clones (NULA). Have seen a trigger freeze up from its easy access to the environment.

I could care less the Forbes rifle is CM. Truth of the matter is Kimber's stainless is some of the easiest rusting I've seen.

Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you.

Stainless is no panacea... it just buys you a little more time.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
CM is a non starter for me also. I spent enough of my youth knocking rust off of CM guns with a bronze brush, a bit tired of it now. I know stainless will rust, but it doesn't rust nearly as easily and if it does I just take some fine grit sandpaper to it and knock it off. If it gets too ugly I just strip it down, take the parts to the local cylinder head shop and give the guy $5 to bead blast it. Yes, I've done that and it turned out looking great!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All BS aside---
Who are the dealers ? Are they actually shipping????

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How in the world did we make it before stainless steel??

WAR EAGLE!

Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, AceBall, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 15 invisible), 1,025 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,922
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.