-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was also my understanding that Mr. Forbes was a consultant in the construction of the Montana's stock.

Despite the preference for the ss Montana, is there anyone who thinks that the Forbes Rifle is a good value and/or viable concept?

WAR EAGLE!

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
It was also my understanding that Mr. Forbes was a consultant in the construction of the Montana's stock.

Despite the preference for the ss Montana, is there anyone who thinks that the Forbes Rifle is a good value and/or viable concept?

SS barrel and a melonite or similar coating on the action and I'll bite. I ain't buying no more damn rifles for top dollar that I have to start mailing around the country to get schit it shoulda come with. Sorry.

I'll roll my own or do without.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Of course it is a good value, and viable concept.

With Stainless and what appears to be a $400 lower street price, I would buy the Kimber though.

What could swing me to lay my money down is a more interesting chambering. I'd definitely be interested in something like a 284 in a M20 Forbes, but that is far in the future (if at all).

Somewhere in the write-ups or links I saw something about a 7RM version. Not sure this is true (I would think it takes a M28(?) size receiver). But if it was true, I would be interested in that too.

_

Last edited by WhelenAway; 02/27/12. Reason: added 7RM comment

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gene270
i think you would be money ahead with a forbes rifle compared to a colt after you made all the upgrades
colt rifle upgrades to include
new trigger
new barrel
new stock

gene

I'm about to find out. In October, I sent Melvin a CLR in 270 and told him to send me back a 7x57 with new trigger, new barrel (Douglas), and new stock (his NULA stock).

I am surprised that he never mentioned the new Forbes Rifle, but I was, and am not, interested in either a 270 or 30-06.

I will post my thoughts, along with results, when I see, and test, the product.

donsm70

PS. The total cost for this project should end up being a little more than a Forbes Rifle. I paid $500 for the CLR and Melvin wanted $1125 for the conversion.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Yes, and I'm still wondering what the extra $400.00 is buying you over a $1,100 84L Montana?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to hear the Forbes will have a Shaw barrel. I used a couple that shot very well!
Some comments after owning several NULA's and several more CLR's.---
- I'll be surprised if these actually weigh less than 5# 10-12 oz. My 270 Win NULA with a 24" barrel weighed exactly 5-12 with mounts. The CLR's with the upgraded stock weighed 6-2.
- I hope the Forbes isn't full length bedded. I'm 50-50 with that working on NULA's. Kimber isn't much better with there bedding...

From my experience a CLR only needs a stock, a trigger job that even I can do and Mel's replacement FP spring.

If the Forbes is about 5.5lbs and fully floated for $1400 they will sell.

Nobody has yet stated when they will be available????

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I ain't buying no more damn rifles for top dollar that I have to start mailing around the country to get schit it shoulda come with. Sorry.

I agree completely.

I wish Remington, Winchester, and the rest would understand that people are willing to pay for quality (like a good synthetic stock, and a refined lightweight rifle design) and in this case, stainless steel.

I am really surprised that he did, but I think Mel missed the mark a little bit here.

Besides the obvious durability issues for severe climates, synthetic and blue is just Model-T Fugly.

If I bought one, I would factor in $250 to Cerrakote it in something other than black, and the result would still be less durable.

But at $1650 after Cerrakoting the Forbes, the Kimber Montana looks even better.

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It will be $400 well spent from what I have read, but I can see why some men want CRF, Model 70 safety & stainless steel actions & barrels.

It's like everything thats new that comes out. You WILL NEVER please everyone!
So we have 4 truly lightweight options that come to mind. Weatherby, Kimber, Forbes or NULA. Flip a coin, they all have worth.....!

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I can't see the Forbes 24 being floated at the recoil lug. It will be like the NULA IMO, & for very good reason..........but I will leave it there.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It will be $400 well spent from what I have read

Wow . . . you're easy . . . a marketeers dream customer grin

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
hehe wink yeah it's only a small price to pay when you think about it(what food cost, restuarants etc.... then we [bleep] it out lol ). Plus hunting & fishing are my only vises in life.....And when I'm 80+ I don't think I will be thinking about that $400.......That's a night on the beer with the boys & 3 cheap hookers afterwards LOL wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah, my stuff never gets wet...

[Linked Image]

Few things funnier than a Do-Nothing Flatlander,trying to talk "weather" or "trigger time". Feel free to regale me with the "perils" associated with Montana's "legendary" precipitation and the "rigors" associated. You know it's a "tough" show when there ain't no scope caps. Laffin'! Only Titty Tags could trump that dumbphucktitude.

Here's a single afternoon's jaunt,if only for extrapolation.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/Dec14SteelheadE.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/Dec14SteelheadD.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/Dec14SteelheadC.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/Dec14SteelheadB.jpg[/img]

What next,you're going to go Jeff-O and building a [bleep] chart?

Bless your heart.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Boy, you really remember a little JBM spanking, don't you...........

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Melvin Forbes told me stainless actions in his opinion are a gimick because they will still rust. Stainless barrels are better for longer life.
Don't shoot the messenger, I just repeating what he told me! wink

Night and day difference between hunting a Stainless action and a CM action, when it comes to rust. My CM action 243ai drives me insane. I can't do enough maintenance on that thing to keep the rust off of it while hunting in Nov. Stainless on a Rem 700 is way more forgiving, obviously.

You have an XCR... right?

Now there's a good factory coating.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gene270
i think you would be money ahead with a forbes rifle compared to a colt after you made all the upgrades
colt rifle upgrades to include
new trigger
new barrel
new stock

gene

I actually talked to Mel on this very thing the other day.
For trigger, stock, and rebarrel to a 280 AI with a Douglas is $1250 and that is getting the stock hand fitted to your action. And having your action squared if needed.
So $1250 plus doner CLR

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cant see spending that much money and not getting SS

Last edited by AKduck; 02/27/12.

Yup.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Some good looking eaters there! What did the biggest Trout go?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, looks like a real torture test.

Guess us flatlanders have a lot to learn.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Brad,you and Jeff-O should really make charts for a living. As an aside,what do you two sorry bastards do for a living? You still at Burger King?

I find it interesting that you couldn't concoct a chart to measure Montana "rainfall". Also always a pleasure to view your Rat Collection,yielded from "all" your "hardcore" pursuits. It's almost as [bleep] funny as listening to you pretend,that you have a [bleep] clue about rifles.

Always a stretch to pick my favorite Do-Nothing Moment betwixt you and Jeff-O. He's ascared of blue,cain't manipulate cardboard and will wax eloquently on goods he's never seen...let alone shot,then chart it! Very [bleep] funny,as a minimum! Then he'll start panhandling,to frost the cake.

You are simply a peach,from start to [bleep] finish. I much enjoy that you believe your dumbphucktitude and it's impossible to accurately quantify the incredible depths of that humor,if only because you don't do it on purpose.

Reality is,the only thing you two dumbphucks shoot is your mouths and you'd have to bolt several of your Rats together to even begin to crowd THE Book. In overview,it is the consumate comedic script and that you [bleep] are oblivious,only sweetens the pot. Bless your hearts.

Hardly "surprising" that a 13yr old girl toting a Montucky 7 Whizzum,whacks schit that crushes your combined "efforts".

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Also very entertaining,that you two [bleep] can't even knock the new off a rifle and I'd dearly love to hear your break-in procedure. I know,I know...you set 'em in the house and talk about all the shooting you are gonna do. Too [bleep] funny!

Pardon my being more hands on.

The Usual

Cheer up,it was a 162 whistled through The Booner Bear's shoulder...feel free to chart it.

Laffin'!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This schit always cracks me the [bleep] up,if only because you two dumb [bleep] couldn't poor piss out of a boot.

Much enjoy that the 10yr old has far more Montucky trigger time than both of you [bleep] bolted together and I'd really like to see that chart also.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/20110423-DAD_3727.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/20110422-DAD_3663.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/20110423-DAD_3733.jpg[/img]

Eagerly anticipating the next installment of your Imagination(s).

Bless your hearts.

Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1234, 257Bob, 22kHornet, 58 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,594
Posts18,532,480
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.