Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
I have the 6 D Cell Maglite that sits by the front door and the 2 C Cell Maglite i carry in my truck. Both are great lights.

Have you noticed the difference in quality and construction in Maglites from the 1980's and the ones sold now? My old 1980 model would suffice as a club ans be no worse for wear. The newer ones not so much.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eh76
I have the 6 D Cell Maglite that sits by the front door and the 2 C Cell Maglite i carry in my truck. Both are great lights.

Have you noticed the difference in quality and construction in Maglites from the 1980's and the ones sold now? My old 1980 model would suffice as a club ans be no worse for wear. The newer ones not so much.
Really? I didn't have one back then. Mine must date from the late eighties or early nineties. They are works of art...but now dated, kinda like the Selectric Typewriter. When did they start cheapening them up. I wouldn't be afeared to bludgeon somebody with mine. I guess I'll have to take a look at some of the new ones. I haven't bought one for years unless it was a little one. I figure I'd rather shoot somebody than beat them and I've got to where the smaller the light, the better, as long as you can see with it.

I'd gladly pay double for a Maglight or Surefire that was made here that had the features and brightness of the Chinese lights.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you need serious azz light and don't want to carry around a spotlight the high end flashlights fill that niche, plain and simple.

Personally I prefer to keep a flashlight or two stashed in each vehicle, boat, packs, and around the house than have one or two high end lights that I don't remember where I left them. I also greatly prefer a headlamp over a flashlight so I have both hands free. One doesn't always need the most intense blinding light, so good flashlights fill most applications suitably.

PS, my budy gave me one of these for a Christmas present

[Linked Image]

Absolutely great when wrenching on stuff as you can get light into an engine compartment, and it has a magnet on the face of the light for picking up those dropped nuts and bolts.

Last edited by 458 Lott; 03/02/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I think I've got a 3 D and a 2 C.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got IIRC, three Surefires laying around here. One 6P stays atop a China Cabinet right by the front door. I think the other is down in the basement on top of the gunsafe and the Outdoorsman which is smaller, is out of order right now, needing a new lamp or bulb or some such. It will cost me as much to fix it as two of them Sam's Club lights that are brighter, take much longer-lasting batteries and cheaper to feed.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry a Streamlight Strion LED as a duty flashlight. That light will light up a very large area. It is absolutely blinding when shot into an inmates face. Plus it has a strobe function that disorients at close range.

Inside the locks I simply shine it on the ceiling. That lights up a cell like you flipped the light switch on.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've got two SureFire mini flashlights in my suitcase. I was in Houston in 1983 or '84 when Hurricane Alisha passed over the Hyatt Regency Hotel in the downtown area (lots of damage and widespread power failures). I was on the 17th floor (long walk up after the electricity failed) and a small flashlight saved the day after the stair lighting went out (the batteries were exhausted after 24 hours). I bought these flashlights for just such emergencies and they've served me well.

I would not spend as much today as there are cheater alternatives on the market, but these have worked well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hunter1960
Originally Posted by okok
I have 5 Surefires, best thing since sliced bread.

Yes, they are. The Streamlights are good also.

we don't agree on much often, so when we do, it might be a clue for the rest of you fellers!

you can get a G2 Surefire for around $35 bucks or so, it's the nylon body which I prefer over the aluminum as sometimes if I'm doing repairs in the dark and it's the light I have to use I don't want a metal aluminum body to hold between my teeth or in a headband against my head in our temps we have up here. Also have a Streamlight that's metal but the barrel is housed in rubber so i can use it the same way.

They both are superior lights with a brightness that I find I can't match with lesser lights.

if you guys know of cheaper lights that have similar lumen output I'm all ears (or eyes in this case I reckon)

flashlights are a tool, I try and use a tool for the appropriate task at hand, I've got cheap flashlights I use all the time around the house or at the cabin

just like I have firearms of differing quality, some I'd bet my life on, some are just to make my life more fun.

the surefires and streamlights I own are used otherwise, but are mainly for air travel. If the lights go out in an emergency situation on a plane I want light I can count on.

Plus due to the ever encroaching travel restrictions, I can't even carry a pocket knife, pity that.

but I can carry a flashlight, and a good one can be a useful defensive tool.

if I'm confronted by someone that poses physical harm to me or my family, most likely they're armed with something more than a flashlight.

I've yet to see the guy that when I shine one of those lights in their eyes, that they don't blink or avert their gaze. It only takes a second, but a second is all I need to try and drive his adam's apple out the back of his throat.

If I can accomplish that, bad odds just shifted slightly in my favor.

I'm willing to spend $35-100 for that advantage, just like on a true defensive firearm, I don't care as much about price as I do quality and am willing to pay for it.

but I've long been a proponent of "buy what makes you happy"

tis what I do, and I don't really care if what I buy makes anyone else happy or not.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got a couple of the Surfire G2's and a 6P LED, great lights and wish they would have been available years ago when I was still working. I do still have a Kel Light 4 d cell and a couple of Maglites as well.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i use a petzl led headlamp for outdoor and carry a 4 d cell maglite in the truck.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
Got a couple of the Surfire G2's and a 6P LED, great lights and wish they would have been available years ago when I was still working. I do still have a Kel Light 4 d cell and a couple of Maglites as well.

I too have a couple of early 70's model Kel lights. Here's to Don Keller of the LA Co. S.O who came up with the idea of making a strong metal flashlight vesus what was available at the time.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Your right Keith. We quit using Mag Lites here at work three or four years ago because they spent more time broken than in service, even brand new ones. Switched to Streamlights and have had very little problem. Had an older mag light that I lost about 10 yrs ago, was a great light. Bought one to replace it and it was a first class POS.

Bill

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
I've seen these in stores and magazines for a long time now, and I've always wondered what the fuss was about. Is there something about a $300 surefire that makes it awesome? Do I need one? It seems like flashlights have come a long way since the minimag days, and you can get a pretty good light for $30 or so now.

What am I missing?

some folks think a Surefire is worth the freight. Some don't. Simple as that.
If you want an inexpensive flashlight, then buy one.

the polymer surefires are only thirty some bucks and they are well worth it. get one of them and a AA maglite on a dark night and compare....you won't have to ask why again.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
I've seen these in stores and magazines for a long time now, and I've always wondered what the fuss was about. Is there something about a $300 surefire that makes it awesome? Do I need one? It seems like flashlights have come a long way since the minimag days, and you can get a pretty good light for $30 or so now.

What am I missing?

some folks think a Surefire is worth the freight. Some don't. Simple as that.
If you want an inexpensive flashlight, then buy one.

the polymer surefires are only thirty some bucks and they are well worth it. get one of them and a AA maglite on a dark night and compare....you won't have to ask why again.
http://cree.com/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by hunter1960
Originally Posted by okok
I have 5 Surefires, best thing since sliced bread.

Yes, they are. The Streamlights are good also.

we don't agree on much often, so when we do, it might be a clue for the rest of you fellers!

you can get a G2 Surefire for around $35 bucks or so, it's the nylon body which I prefer over the aluminum as sometimes if I'm doing repairs in the dark and it's the light I have to use I don't want a metal aluminum body to hold between my teeth or in a headband against my head in our temps we have up here. Also have a Streamlight that's metal but the barrel is housed in rubber so i can use it the same way.

They both are superior lights with a brightness that I find I can't match with lesser lights.

if you guys know of cheaper lights that have similar lumen output I'm all ears (or eyes in this case I reckon)

flashlights are a tool, I try and use a tool for the appropriate task at hand, I've got cheap flashlights I use all the time around the house or at the cabin

just like I have firearms of differing quality, some I'd bet my life on, some are just to make my life more fun.

the surefires and streamlights I own are used otherwise, but are mainly for air travel. If the lights go out in an emergency situation on a plane I want light I can count on.

Plus due to the ever encroaching travel restrictions, I can't even carry a pocket knife, pity that.

but I can carry a flashlight, and a good one can be a useful defensive tool.

if I'm confronted by someone that poses physical harm to me or my family, most likely they're armed with something more than a flashlight.

I've yet to see the guy that when I shine one of those lights in their eyes, that they don't blink or avert their gaze. It only takes a second, but a second is all I need to try and drive his adam's apple out the back of his throat.

If I can accomplish that, bad odds just shifted slightly in my favor.

I'm willing to spend $35-100 for that advantage, just like on a true defensive firearm, I don't care as much about price as I do quality and am willing to pay for it.

but I've long been a proponent of "buy what makes you happy"

tis what I do, and I don't really care if what I buy makes anyone else happy or not.
Dude...

cree

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by eyeball
Pelican light, submersible 500 ft, 2 or 3 c-cell, bright as he'll, abt 26 bucks.

+1 on this. Have one hanging on my BCD and one in the garage.
Pelican has a lifetime warranty to boot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DW12
Last year I went thru this flashlight thing.
It was a real education!
I have been a 'maglight' kind of guy, but I put my cash ($130) on a Fenix TK41.
Three handy light modes, on it's high power setting 800lumens (what ever they are), walking the fence line I could easily illuminate a target at 200 yards.
The light uses 8 AA's. I use rechargeable NiMh.
Highly recommend the TK41 if you have that kind of need.

I've had the same flashlight and am damn impressed. Love that it uses rechargeables. I use Sanyo Eneloop in mine with great success.

Some other favorites of mine.

Dorcy 180 lumen.

I love the grip and it's yellow which makes it easy to find. Probably one of the best $20 flashlight you'll ever get. 4 AA abbteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-41-4750..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330740651&sr=8-1

Smaller than the Fenix tk41 but just as powerful is the ThruHite TN11. Versatile with different attachment tubes for additional batteries(makes flashlight longer but better runtimes). For around $100, one of the best flashlight values you can find. Takes CR123 or 18650 batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/ThruNite-TN11..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330740828&sr=8-1

I don't have this but for you maglite fans, here's the new Maglight Pro Plus that runs on AA batteries. 245 lumens and it got good reviewss over at candlepower forums. About $30 which is a bargain. Will blow away your old maglites.

http://www.zbattery.com/Maglite-2AA-MiniMag-Pro-Plus-LED-Flashlight-Black

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

Wall thickness on the tube is half what it used to be. I gave my mini mags to the neighbor kids to play with. No use for something that won't work 100% of the time. Rather spend $35 on a Surefire G2 Nitrolon that does than $10 on one that doesn't.

Gee does Maglite make a weapon light? wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

Wall thickness on the tube is half what it used to be. I gave my mini mags to the neighbor kids to play with. No use for something that won't work 100% of the time. Rather spend $35 on a Surefire G2 Nitrolon that does than $10 on one that doesn't.

Gee does Maglite make a weapon light? wink
You ought to try the flashlight on that link I gave Randy. You're not gaining anything on the Nitrolen because they're made in China anyway. I haven't seen them around here for $35 for a long, long time. More like $65. I gave my Nitrolen to a buddy several years ago. Do a search for Cree or Fenix on Amazon or Ebay and you'll come up with all sorts of cool flashlights.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Half my flashlights are buried someplace by the kids.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (300_savage, 35, 10gaugemag, anothergun, 44automag, 7 invisible), 792 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,387
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.