Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
+1 to what shrapnel said. The older Sako's are among the finest factory produced rifles ever made.

Yep..what they said...Choose the Sako because, well...its a Sako.

Don't choose the kimber because ,well, its a Kimber and they dont always work outside SE Alaska...( sorry Stick......)

Just another opinion, and you know what they are worth...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Twist rate and long heavy bullets mean everything to some, nothing to others.

I've got a slow-twist but ACCURATE .223 M700 that I bought for a future retube. I have had a hoot with plain ol' 55's. It's gonna get worked hard here in the next couple months as I start shooting again.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Twist rate and long heavy bullets mean everything to some, nothing to others.

I've got a slow-twist but ACCURATE .223 M700 that I bought for a future retube. I have had a hoot with plain ol' 55's. It's gonna get worked hard here in the next couple months as I start shooting again.

The first sign of The Apocalypse...I agree with JeffO!! shocked

Stuff keeps dying in front of my 1 in 12 twisted CF .22s and 50-55 gr bullets...havent felt the need to step up in weight and tighten up the twist for anything .....yet.

If I do I have a .243 that shoots 80 grainers lights out! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TannerGun
Stick, have you found some Montanas to not twist the 75Amax quick enough?

No matter who makes the spout and/or the rifle,1-9" is no sure thing in a 223 with 75A-max. Some do,some don't...though punching 223AI and adding more speed(RPM) to the fray do bolster odds.

8" is THE ticket.

'nel,

Blackpowder had a lonnggggg and "illustrious" career(to the tune of Centuries),prior to the advent and shift to smokeless propellants. Same goes the advent of brass cartridge cases,as compared to frontstuffers. Smoothbores to rifling. Stone knives,to steel and the list do go on for literally ever. 'Course Flat Landers kicked and screamed with every transition,while them in the know rocked on. Poignant,ain't it?!!?

The FACTS are: CM is at a huge disadvantage to S/S. Walnut is a huge disadvantage to great Synthetic. 1-14" is a huge disadvantage to 9". Trite mag confines and Ping Pong ball BC's are a huge disadvantage to increased COAL latitude,increased BC's and throating in accordance to same.

Your Sako pics with rear adjustable rings and nary a scratch,are oblivious Testimony to them constants.

Bless your heart.

'flag,

I've never shot any 40-55gr .224" projectiles,please feel free to expound.

Thanks!

'Raider,

The only thing you shoot is your mouth,though points is always awarded for pics of barbed wire,haybales and pointy boots.

You go girl!

'NZ,

Enjoy that you plagiarize me,when Posting to me...that is [bleep] hilarious! Oddly enough the Feb '09 timeline is purty early in the Montucky 223's arrival to the masses and interestingly enough,I didn't have one at the time.

I reckon you was slow parking the blackpowder,smoothbores and pin fires? Laffin'!

'thumper,

That thing really looks like it's been to the Fair.

Wow.

'rey,

Pard slicked one up last R&R. Keep your nose in the wind.

'05,

You was saying?!!?

Jeff-O,

You've never seen or shot any of those boolits,but I'd pay good [bleep] money,to watch you TRY and open the boxes.

At least you'll always have your [bleep] Imagination.

'we,

I enjoy your "stance" ala Jeff-O,from having been on but one side of the equation.

This schit is PRICELESS...if only because you gals is doing the BEST you can do!

Two thumbs up!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Dr.Lou - purchased a SAKO L461 Vixen with the heavy barrel in the mid 70's when the .223Rem chambering was not common. 1:14 twist but shoots 55 gr loads just fine. Paid $250 for it new. When I took it to the range the local National Guard unit was there qualifying with the M16. Their NCO's could not believe a "civilian" was shooting a bolt gun in that caliber. Best part - made a deal with my young son. IF he policed the GI brass that came my way he'd make a penny each ($.01). He was human vacuum cleaner filling up his bucket! Regards, Homesteader.

I have several AIs in 223 and 222. I just love those little actions and that they are designed for the cartridge. I can't stand rifles that use a SA or LA and modify it to feed tiny cartridges - and they look nice, too.

NRA Benefactor member
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Stick...errrr..I mean Boxer..

I just loaded up a buttload of H335..

.std .223 and AI...

That stuff sucks... whistle

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Boxer
Originally Posted by TannerGun
Stick, have you found some Montanas to not twist the 75Amax quick enough?

No matter who makes the spout and/or the rifle,1-9" is no sure thing in a 223 with 75A-max. Some do,some don't...though punching 223AI and adding more speed(RPM) to the fray do bolster odds.

8" is THE ticket.

'nel,

Blackpowder had a lonnggggg and "illustrious" career(to the tune of Centuries),prior to the advent and shift to smokeless propellants. Same goes the advent of brass cartridge cases,as compared to frontstuffers. Smoothbores to rifling. Stone knives,to steel and the list do go on for literally ever. 'Course Flat Landers kicked and screamed with every transition,while them in the know rocked on. Poignant,ain't it?!!?

The FACTS are: CM is at a huge disadvantage to S/S. Walnut is a huge disadvantage to great Synthetic. 1-14" is a huge disadvantage to 9". Trite mag confines and Ping Pong ball BC's are a huge disadvantage to increased COAL latitude,increased BC's and throating in accordance to same.

Your Sako pics with rear adjustable rings and nary a scratch,are oblivious Testimony to them constants.

Bless your heart.

'flag,

I've never shot any 40-55gr .224" projectiles,please feel free to expound.

Thanks!

'Raider,

The only thing you shoot is your mouth,though points is always awarded for pics of barbed wire,haybales and pointy boots.

You go girl!

'NZ,

Enjoy that you plagiarize me,when Posting to me...that is [bleep] hilarious! Oddly enough the Feb '09 timeline is purty early in the Montucky 223's arrival to the masses and interestingly enough,I didn't have one at the time.

I reckon you was slow parking the blackpowder,smoothbores and pin fires? Laffin'!

'thumper,

That thing really looks like it's been to the Fair.

Wow.

'rey,

Pard slicked one up last R&R. Keep your nose in the wind.

'05,

You was saying?!!?

Jeff-O,

You've never seen or shot any of those boolits,but I'd pay good [bleep] money,to watch you TRY and open the boxes.

At least you'll always have your [bleep] Imagination.

'we,

I enjoy your "stance" ala Jeff-O,from having been on but one side of the equation.

This schit is PRICELESS...if only because you gals is doing the BEST you can do!

Two thumbs up!

Tight lines! Gawd...I do get a kick outta you...

Bless your heart

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dr_Lou
the Sako because the action is the correct length for the action. The Montana uses a 308 length action for the tiny 223 cartridge: not a big deal to most, but a huge deal to me.

THIS ^^^^^^^^

It is to me as well.

Then, there is craftsmanship and warmth and beauty. I want them in my wife AND in my rifles. Some don't care on one point or the other, I do.

Have sold some darned accurate CF 22's in the past, the Sako Riihimaki and L-461 (Very similar to the Vixen) are NOT on the chopping block.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Boxer, I have shot the 75 Amax's. My 1:9 M700P didn't like them one bit. My current .223 is whatever Rem twists the SPSS's. I bought it for the stainless action; we agree about that.

It bugholes Horn 55's and I can have lots of fun with that.

In the fullness of time it'll get a 1:8 and that'll be fun too I suspect. Maybe MORE fun.

You ever buy a lathe?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer
'nel,

Bless your heart.

I'm sorry but I don't get what your point is. Only Crossfire could understand this post...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He's saying fast-twisted rifles with mag/throat geometry to allow long bullets to get out to the lands, in stainless/good synthetic, represent the current state of the art in rifles.

He's not wrong. But he way overplays it <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This rifle is a l461, does that mean anything?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
L-461 is the short action, l61r is the long action.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by Dr_Lou
the Sako because the action is the correct length for the action. The Montana uses a 308 length action for the tiny 223 cartridge: not a big deal to most, but a huge deal to me.

THIS ^^^^^^^^

It is to me as well.

Then, there is craftsmanship and warmth and beauty. I want them in my wife AND in my rifles. Some don't care on one point or the other, I do.

Have sold some darned accurate CF 22's in the past, the Sako Riihimaki and L-461 (Very similar to the Vixen) are NOT on the chopping block.

Warmth and beauty is light done right,in a hard use parcel that'll hang tidy Agg's,happily fend the worst of weather,has the twist rate,mag latitude and throat geometry to really ring the bell...all while never missing a lick. There was a time not too long ago,that a guy had to build to approximate those things...yet today it's available over the counter and is called a Montucky. If you had even the slightest of inkling to boolits,you'd swoon the ability to incorporate the best of that which is available,from within that same package. It's called "win/win". Interestingly enough,noone upon this Thread uses a Sako enough to even put a scratch in it and "all" that "time" in the "Outdoors" has precluded the ranks from having even the faintest of [bleep] clues about boolits. The humor inherent would be tough to top,but let's hope someone tries!

I enjoy the bandwidth that the guys who know the least about schit,feel compelled to use,so as to reiterate their plight of sheer cluelessness.

People crack me up!

Jeff-O,

It is well beyond humorous,that you feel compelled to Post about ANYTHING regarding rifles,boolits or glass. Keep shooting your Imagination and playing Pretend.

Wow.

'nel,

Noone ever accused you of having a clue,let alone being able to obtain one. I enjoy that stupidity isn't an Act for you.

Let's trade rifles for a week,if only to connect a few dots for you.

Laffin'!

Travis,

It doesn't mean S/S,Synthetic,fast twist,nor increased mag box COAL.

Hint.

'85,

The L61R hasn't the deadend street,trite mag confines of the A1 and it's ilk. For that reason,one can go numerous ways aboard a donor of it's configuration.

[Linked Image]

That being said and coming full circle,opting a Montucky .532" S/A with it's 3"+ COAL capable box,throated in accordance,light weight,S/S and Synthetic handle...once again offers all the goody over the counter.

Just sayin',if only because I got 'em all.

'flag

The L579 has a box greater than 2.8" which allows nice things. Have had numerous,namely in 22-250,243Win and 308. Their 308's are throated far more favorably than most.

Grass is always green at my house.

Film at 11:00.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
l579 is a medium action. i like them all.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Boxer- do not know where you are . i am envious of your grass. it is green. here it is mostly brown. nice rifle and binos. don't know what to say about those skulls.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roninflag
Boxer- do not know where you are . i am envious of your grass. it is green. here it is mostly brown. nice rifle and binos. don't know what to say about those skulls.

I don't know which skulls you may be referring to, but I know one of his is completely empty...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I don't know which skulls you may be referring to, but I know one of his is completely empty...

wink

Life is just one damned thing after another
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Apples to oranges, but stainless, kevlar, and 1-9" twist gets my vote.

Apples to oranges?
yeah, Horse apples maybe.

FK!
Its not even a question.
SAKO!
Duh.

Better BBL's
Better trigger
smaller action.
all around superior rifle, hands down.

Whats the next thread?
Christina Hicks or Holly Hunter?
SHIIIIT!

[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My vote would be the Vixen. My experience has been that the Vixens are slick little actions and extremely accurate.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,336
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.