-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
...and don't forget, we BOUGHT Mexico from Santa Anna, after kicking his ass.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just one addendum re Cole's last sentence in his post.

Texas and later the US said that the Rio Grande was the border. Mexico said the Nuaces river was because when the area was known as Cohuilla y Texas that was the boundry. Mexico invaded to take back an area they believed was theirs to begin with.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
BORDERLINE insanity, if you get MY drift,....wink, wink etc.

Borderline my sweet a$s. The guy is a menace and should be institutionalized. He is just trying to push the wrong buttons and it ain't gonna end well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ola Julio!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Mom had Marty Robbins' LP with The Ballad of the Alamo on it. When I was about four or five I could sing the whole thing.

496 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by 496
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Right...Texas was part of Mexico. In a nut-shell, the Government in Mexico was bad, Texas rebelled and broke away. Then Sam Houston sold Texas out to the United States.

Ok so Mexicans got tired of their corrupt government and rebelled against them and made Texas?

Sam Houston was a Mexican?
The area now called Texas was at the time part of an area along with portions of Colorado, Oklahoma and Kansas that was the northernmost portion of Mexico. Mexico had a dictator named Santa Anna. He was a tyrant. Santa Anna had already put down at least one rebellion The Fredonian Rebellian in 1826. The Texans were mad because he refused to abide by the Constitution established in 1824. Basically Texas had been settled first by mainly Hispanics but these people had had a difficult time in keeping the Comanche Indians along with other warlike tribes...Karankawas, Kiowas, Apaches, etc. at bay. White settlers were already coming in and the Mexican government offered them land in order to bring them into the fold and insure their alleigance to Mexico rather than the USA and also to provide a buffer against the aforementioned natives. Along with some Hispanic settlers, these immigrants were dissatisfied with the way Santa Anna was running things. They were also probably subject to propaganda from US agents.

The Texans broke away and formed their own government much like their forefathers had in 1775-1776. They quickly formed an Army the core of which were probably existing Ranger units which had protected them from Indians and fought several small battles basically running the token Mexican Army forces out of Texas. Santa Anna disagreed and you can see my former post for a quick explanation. His forces also laid waste to the other Texian force at Goliad which Col. Fannin had surrendered by executing the prisoners. Texas settlers fled from Central Texas to east Texas in what is termed the "Runaway Scrape" pursued by Santa Anna's army. General Houston lead the Texans and had been training in a swampy area near the present day town named for him. The Texans caught Santa Anna's army in a boggy area called "Buffalo Bayou" and whipped them even though they were outnumbered. Santa Anna was captured and Houston forced him to relinquish the title to Texas. Mexico never really fully recognized this action and tried for years during the Republic to get it back culminating in Texas entering the union and the US fighting a war with Mexico over it and other southwestern areas such as California.

Cool, thank you

AN OATH IS NOT SOMETHING YOU GIVE BACK UNLESS YOUR A POLITICIAN!

RACISM ALWAYS EQUALS FEAR!

THE WANTS OF THE FEW SHOULD NOT OUTWEIGH THE RIGHT OF THE MANY!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zachary Taylor sent an urgent message from Corpus Christi to Washington soon after Texas was Annexed to the US, reporting on the fate of a patrol that had been attacked just north of the Rio Grande, that "American blood had been spilled on American soil". Congress declared war on Mexico and began the bombardment of Vera Cruz. After Mexico lost that war, what is now the American Southwest was indeed purchased from Mexico. Mexico actually wanted to ceed much of what is now Northern Mexico (approximately 1/3 of what is now Mexico) to the US in that deal. President James K. Polk advised against it and proposed establishing the Rio Grande as the permanent boundary. The rationale was that we had enough to deal with and that much more would be impossible to police.

While some view the annexation of Texas into the United States as less than perfect, it is more than a little likely that Texas could not have withstood another invasion by Mexico. They were going to come back and were not going to be very nice about it. It was by shear luck and the motivation of eminent annihilation that Sam Houston's Army routed the Mexicans at San Jacinto.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If the mexicans were routed out then why can't they be routed out now? You guys living there in Goliad and the rest of Texas I have a question for you.

Why do you tolerate the illegal mexicans coming in to strip you of your holdings?

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ltppowell
...and don't forget, we BOUGHT Mexico from Santa Anna, after kicking his ass.
And we're still buying it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AKHntr
If the mexicans were routed out then why can't they be routed out now? You guys living there in Goliad and the rest of Texas I have a question for you.

Why do you tolerate the illegal mexicans coming in to strip you of your holdings?
It's a dimocrap thing.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AKHntr

It's a dimocrap thing. We can't even get rid ofba bunch of sand turd terrorists in GITMO.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That answer to me is indefensible. Citizens are obligated by the Constitution to defend their country against all enemies foriegn and domestic. Most Fire members have also taken a sworn oath to the death to do this. What are they waiting for? Is their word not worth a dam anymore? Do they also lie to their kids and tell them they are doing what they can?
I say they are cowards thru and thru. They should not be allowed to call themselves Texans or American Citizens if they shirk their Constitutional Duties and Responsibilities. And I am not talking about politicians here. We all know they are gutless. But I am only now realizing how gutless our fellow citizens are too. I fail to see how they can look in the mirror or look into their kids eyes and hold their heads up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless someone quotes our village idiot I don't know what he says. Since that has been done, I will respond in a manner that I hope will not feed the Troll and get the point across.

Troll, you don't have any idea of what you are talking about. No one is being stripped of any holdings and the people who are charged with stopping the illegals from entering the United States through Mexico are working at it as fast as they can. I know this probably does not mean anything to you, but the Border Patrol is a federal agency, not a State agency. To a large extent, we in Texas, and surely in other places as well, tend towards observing and following laws, certainly State laws and especially Federal laws. We do not take it upon ourselves to patrol and apprehend UDAs and deport them. That would be STUPID, reckless, illegal, stupid, dumb, and stupid. To suggest such a thing would be stupid, irresponsible, stupid and stupid.

If your intent is to incite a response to cause someone to type something irresponsible, reckless, illegal, or stupid, then you must surely be STUPID.

I know there are some of the guys here who do not have you on ignore. I suppose they find your total and utter ignorance on most subjects amusing. I just really don't know. What I do know is that you don't know anything about Texas or Texans. We understand that being Texan is something that most folks who aren't Texans Wish they were and some harbor a lot of ill will about it and really don't feel good about themselves because of that. That's not our problem son, it's yours. Good luck with it. Stay wherever you are, we've done just fine without you till now. I expect we'll continue to do so.

I know from your posts that I have read, that there is very little that you have any respect for, hold dear, or uphold with honor or dignity. Your posts are negative, inciting, and seek to tear down and destroy. Therefore you must be a dishonorable, disrespectful, undignified, excuse for a human being. I don't have a bit of use for you at all except to point to you as the perfect example of a bad example.

I know you won't have your feelings hurt by my words. I know you won't be insulted because you have no integrity. You only have words, shallow meaningless words, cloaked behind a convenient veil of internet secrecy.

Troll on Troll.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Cowardice is all too often masked by bravado. This is what I see in your post. You say you are doing well but you honestly know better. You are doing poorly and we know this. Call me names if it makes you feel better. Get it out of your system. It will help to get your mental state back to where you used to be. It's OK with me and no you don't have to worry you have not hurt my feelings whatsoever. I know you are in dire straits down there and your guilt is showing it quite a bit. I suggest you start on your recovery by reading and testing yourself on the USofA Constitution. Then do exactly what it tells you to do. You don't need the govts approval to do your duties. You should also never rely on them as you well know they are inept and incapable of doing right by the citizens. Take a good look at bammy the kenyan and tell me again you trust him to do right by you. He is bent on destroying you and your family and you honestly need to believe that. That is my message to you whether you choose to ignore it like you do your responsibilities that is your doings and on you and no one else.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Look anything like this, maybe?
[Linked Image]

The Alamo is one of the harder battle sights to visualize today, the car from which that photo was taken was stopped INSIDE the area defended in 1836...

[Linked Image]

On the other side of the car just across tbe street lies a section of the original compound foundation preserved for viewing under a glass case. Most of that wall is covered by businesses now in a row of multi-story buildings dating back to the late 19th/early 20th Century.

Travis got fatally hit early on on the fortification above the "Large Area" on the diagram. That spot lies under the present Post Office Building, about fifteen stories tall.

The Alamo Mission had ceased operating as such nearly forty years before this fight, but there's probably hundreds of burials dating from the mission epidemic days underneath that area in the photo.

'Nother interesting thing is that the flag most likely to have flown at the Alamo (nobody knows for sure what banner they fought under) was this one, the 1824 constitution flag....

[Linked Image]

Hard to imagine now, but for another four years after the Battle of the Alamo and the founding of the Republic of Texas, hundreds of White Texans would be fighting in South Texas and Northern Mexico on the Federalist side of a Mexican civil war. Hindsight is 20/20, but the future weren't all that crystal clear back then.

Likewise "the bloodiest battle on Texan soil" was fought just south of San Antonio twenty-three years earlier, in 1813, by American adventurers allied with local Tejanos. The Battle of the Medina River....

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qfm01

Jos� Bernardo Guti�rrez de Lara and Augustus William Magee, abetted by the United States, organized an expedition to wrest Texas from Spain. Adopting a "Green Flag" for a banner, their Republican Army of the North crossed from the Neutral Ground in Louisiana into Texas on August 7, 1812, and soon captured Nacogdoches, Trinidad de Salcedo, La Bah�a, where Magee died, and San Antonio, where a declaration of independence for the State of Texas under the Republic of Mexico was proclaimed on April 6, 1813.

This, however, was short-lived, for Joaqu�n de Arredondo, commandant-general of the Provincias Internas, organized an army of 1,830 men and marched them early in August from Laredo toward San Antonio to quell the rebellion. In the meantime, Toledo deposed Guti�rrez and became the new commander of the republicans on August 4.

With a force of about 1,400 men composed of Anglos, Tejanos, Indians, and former royalists, Toledo, urged by Tejanos who wanted to spare San Antonio from the ravages of battle, chose to meet the enemy south of the city.

The Mexicans loyal to the Spanish won that one, and in 1813 there simply weren't enough Americans yet in Texas for a follow up battle like San Jacinto.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great thread Birdie, as usual lots of good historical data. thanks for the lessons.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're very welcome Jorge, this stuff is interesting ennit?

In this case the plot thickens in light of the fact a major Texan/Tejano Federalist expedition into Mexico had just been launched from San Antonio a couple of months before, under that same 1824 flag, against the Centralist faction headed by Santa Anna. That expedition stripped the Alamo compound of supplies that had been stockpiled there.

From a Mexican perspective, you could make a strong case that Santa Anna's invasion of Texas was part of a continuing Mexican civil war.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very interesting indeed!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just to add a bit. When Santa Anna userped the government there were uprisings all over Mexico that he had to put down. Before he could take care of Texas he had to conquer Zacatecas state which took him @ two years. With his attention focused on Mexico, Texas was left to build what anglo population it had and Tehano Republicans there were left alone to fester until the invasion to put down the rebellion.

Quando Omni Moritati
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (10gaugemag, 44automag, Anaconda, 450yukon, 10 invisible), 1,052 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,382
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.