Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
coues32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
With all the use of trail cameras these days,seems like it is an unfair advantage for hunter. Cameras sitting on water or bait 24 hrs a day.Are we getting lazier?Trophy at any cost?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Add a cell phone to the package and one won't have to endure the trip out to check things.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not use them because they would be stolen on public ground. eek

All they do is give you a picture, not like it kills the animal for you.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 1minute
Add a cell phone to the package and one won't have to endure the trip out to check things.

They already have them with cell connections. e-mails a picture to you online.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
C
coues32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I do not use them because they would be stolen on public ground. eek

All they do is give you a picture, not like it kills the animal for you.

So if you go scouting a new area or a old one a couple of times and dont see a good animal,are you gonna still hunt that area.If you have a camera on a water source for a couple months and see there is a good animal coming in,you wont hunt there now?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This question sort of proves a delimma for me. On one hand, trail cameras add a whole new chapter of enjoying the outdoors. I can see the animals I chase year round and watch things I'd never see otherwise. On the other hand, it takes away a lot of the mystery and excitement of what 'might' be out there.

Sometimes I think the best place for my trail cameras would be at the same spot as my cell phone,.....at the bottom of a lake.

Just feel that maybe I should step away from all the technology and BS and just friggin' hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the automatic update ones, yes could see those being bad......normal ones you have to go and check? all they tell you is where a critter has been in the past.....wish Montana's laws werent as strict cause i would like to use them to check some stuff out, less looking for horns more to try and see what other critters are around but the way Montana law i written you can only use them briefly during the year as they cant be used during ANY big game season....which means you can use them from about June 16 to Aug 14 this year.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I like setting out in the off season. interesting to see animals.

never used to aid in hunting. kind of have mixed feelings in that regard.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We were given thumbs for a reason...

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
from what ive seen during our deer season mule deer move and act differently through the season as the rut usually kicks in the last couple weeks.....usefulness could be limited, know the elk we hunt move alot aswell....

know ppl elsewhere that use them and short of sitting in a tree stand with all the trails wired with the automatic update ones i honestly think though they are helpful they arent a huge advantage....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rrroae
This question sort of proves a delimma for me. On one hand, trail cameras add a whole new chapter of enjoying the outdoors. I can see the animals I chase year round and watch things I'd never see otherwise. On the other hand, it takes away a lot of the mystery and excitement of what 'might' be out there.

Sometimes I think the best place for my trail cameras would be at the same spot as my cell phone,.....at the bottom of a lake.

Just feel that maybe I should step away from all the technology and BS and just friggin' hunt.

...a hunter with Class... cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have 4... no, 3 or them. One of those $200 boogers took a $200 poop. I have pics of alot of deer That I never see during hunting hours. The only deer that has ever been caught on camera and killed was 15 yards in front of my wifes tree stand and 2 days later during youth muzzle loader season a 14 year old kid sitting in a tent 400 yards from my front door killed it. I heard the shot and walked out to see the 192 " pig. I have a blue spruce in my yard the bucks love almost to death every year. I put a camera out there this year { 39 lazered yards from my back door} and caught 5 different bucks in one night. I have more than one picture of a 190 class 10 pointer rubbing the tree. Never see them while hunting tho

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Is your truck fair chase or should you walk to the hunting woods? Binoculars? Radios? Rifle scope? It can get a little ridiculous. A deer that feeds and waters at night, isn't necessarily going to show up during the daylight. I don't use trail cams, but I can't see where they increase your odds of taking a trophy animal.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Is your truck fair chase or should you walk to the hunting woods? Binoculars? Radios? Rifle scope? It can get a little ridiculous. A deer that feeds and waters at night, isn't necessarily going to show up during the daylight. I don't use trail cams, but I can't see where they increase your odds of taking a trophy animal.

Dan

My viewpoint exactly -- almost. I think they can (but haven't yet for me) increase the odds of taking a trophy animal. For one thing, they can tell you a trophy animal is there, and help you make a decision where to hunt.

Originally Posted by rrroae

Funny how two people can think the same thing and come to the opposite conclusion. With all the animals I see on my trail cameras, I think they increase the mystery and excitement of what might be out there.

How can a thread on trail cameras can go on for 12 posts, and have no trail camera photos? To fix that, and to illustrate my point, check my picture of a bald eagle with an injured wing. (No food, no carrion, nothing to put it in front of the camera.) What happened to this eagle is a mystery, and it's always exciting here in these parts to see a bald eagle. She was in front of the camera for over 3 minutes, and in all 5 pictures she is holding her right wing so it doesn't drag on the ground.

[Linked Image]

There's a nest about 150 yards from here, and another about 400 yards, but they don't use the nests in November.

Is there a hunter anywhere who doesn't do anything to increase the odds of taking an animal? Why aren't we all using spears? Or digging pits and chasing the animals into them?

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trail cameras are great for figuring out what or who is living on your back 40. Imagine my surprise when I discovered it was one of the guys who posts to 24hr.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finally someone got a good picture of Big Foot. Instead of some blurry picture no one can tell if he is real or not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fairness isn't a concept that exists in nature. The idea of what is fair and not fair exists only in your head and in your head alone. Go to someone else's head and you'll find a totally different "fair".

In nature, you're either the windshield or the bug. Let's keep game management practices strictly to real numbers instead of bullschit artificial concepts.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Where do you draw the line. Take the scope away. Camo and scent lock clothing/not fair. You have to catch um with your bare hands.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If I could afford them there would be several on the farm just to see what it is that lurks in the night and sets the dog off. We usually have bear tracks in any fresh snow and it would be fun to see what he looks like.

Not really interested in using them for hunting.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

Dan

+1

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,473
Posts18,529,410
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.