Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jnyork
In 1933, Earl Ozel Osbon was a homeless waif of 11, living in filthy squalor in a barn on a ramshackle ranch a few miles southeast of Lander Wyoming. My parents, who were childless at the time, paid the rancher $50.00, took the boy from the ranch and informally adopted him as their own. The family soon found employment at Torrey Lake Ranch, near Dubois, where they lived until 1942.

After being homeschooled to an 8th grade level, Earl spent his teenage years working as a cowboy on several Dubois area ranches. In 1940, he enlisted in the Navy and spent all of World War II in the Pacific Theatre. A career Navy man, he also served throughout the Korean conflict. He died tragically in 1956 while still serving his country.

After a summers work on the Double Diamond ranch near Dubois, Earl accepted this rifle as partial payment of wages. He made the scabbard himself and carried the rifle on his saddle for the remainder of his years as a cowboy. When Earl enlisted in the Navy, he left the rifle with his foster father , who then passed it to me, his son . I used the rifle for hunting occasionally, the last time in 2009, harvesting a bull moose only a mile or so from the old Double Diamond ranch. I also shot it quite a bit in Metallic Silhouette.

The rifle is an 1886 Winchester, caliber .33 WCF, made in 1907 and shows the scars of years in the saddle and in hunting camps.

Last Summer, my wife and I donated the rifle, the scabbard and a pair of Earls spurs to the Lander Pioneer Museum. The Museum was very happy to receive the items, and made them a central part of their cowboy memorabilia. There was a nice article in the local paper about the donation, which brought about a truely astonishing event .

Soon after the article was published, I received a call from an elderly lady who told me she had known Earl and wanted me to come over, which I did. It turned out that she, Marie, had been Earls first love, his girlfriend all during his cowboy days in Dubois. He had proposed during the war, but she had turned him down, something she said she had regretted over the years. She gave me some pictures taken of him and his group of friends back in the 1930's and when he was home on leave in 1942. Marie is now my only link to my beloved foster brother, I left her home with tears in my eyes. These are the things that can only happen in small town America.

[Linked Image]

And here's to EHG

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JNYork and Crossfire. You just made my eyes leak. What a story. God bless old cowboys, present and past. RIP Mr. Osbon.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crossfire, thanks for the tune, I had not heard that one before. smile

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
[Linked Image]

Going by the leg covered in ACU in the corner, M24.

Have you seen what is replacing it?

Introducing the M24E1 or XM2010 chambered in 300 Win Mag.
[Linked Image]

Already in use.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crossfire, thanks for the tune, I had not heard that one before. smile

My "Double Diamond" was a little further North and West,...basically the same experience, graced with the same sad sense of living out the "End of an era".

Lots these days wouldn't KNOW what a "Double Diamond" is, much less be able to throw one.

I'd be tickled to send you some CDs of more of Tyson's tunes, Se�or.

GTC.

Last edited by crossfireoops; 03/13/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In 1933, Earl Ozel Osbon was a homeless waif of 11, living in filthy squalor in a barn on a ramshackle ranch a few miles southeast of Lander Wyoming. My parents, who were childless at the time, paid the rancher $50.00, took the boy from the ranch and informally adopted him as their own. The family soon found employment at Torrey Lake Ranch, near Dubois, where they lived until 1942.

After being homeschooled to an 8th grade level, Earl spent his teenage years working as a cowboy on several Dubois area ranches. In 1940, he enlisted in the Navy and spent all of World War II in the Pacific Theatre. A career Navy man, he also served throughout the Korean conflict. He died tragically in 1956 while still serving his country.

After a summers work on the Double Diamond ranch near Dubois, Earl accepted this rifle as partial payment of wages. He made the scabbard himself and carried the rifle on his saddle for the remainder of his years as a cowboy. When Earl enlisted in the Navy, he left the rifle with his foster father , who then passed it to me, his son . I used the rifle for hunting occasionally, the last time in 2009, harvesting a bull moose only a mile or so from the old Double Diamond ranch. I also shot it quite a bit in Metallic Silhouette.

The rifle is an 1886 Winchester, caliber .33 WCF, made in 1907 and shows the scars of years in the saddle and in hunting camps.

Last Summer, my wife and I donated the rifle, the scabbard and a pair of Earls spurs to the Lander Pioneer Museum. The Museum was very happy to receive the items, and made them a central part of their cowboy memorabilia. There was a nice article in the local paper about the donation, which brought about a truely astonishing event .

Soon after the article was published, I received a call from an elderly lady who told me she had known Earl and wanted me to come over, which I did. It turned out that she, Marie, had been Earls first love, his girlfriend all during his cowboy days in Dubois. He had proposed during the war, but she had turned him down, something she said she had regretted over the years. She gave me some pictures taken of him and his group of friends back in the 1930's and when he was home on leave in 1942. Marie is now my only link to my beloved foster brother, I left her home with tears in my eyes. These are the things that can only happen in small town America.

Here are some pix of the rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I believe we have a winner in the cool story/cool working gun catagory. Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by troutfly
I believe we have a winner in the cool story/cool working gun catagory. Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

Concur on the wonderful story, and thank you for sharing Mr. York, but EHG wins for "working" gun. He was hunting more than deer with that rifle.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by troutfly

Here are some pix of the rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll heartily second that!!! Great story and with Crossfires' musical addition (his taste in music is fantastic imo) I can't imagine how this thread could get better. But that's why I love the 'fire..'cause it often does.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Taken this one out several times, finally scored a dink with an hour to go in the hunt. Sure wish I knew what that brand of "16 Co" on the side panel means. It's a 1899A SR in 303 Savage from 1920.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
[Linked Image]

Going by the leg covered in ACU in the corner, M24.

Have you seen what is replacing it?

Introducing the M24E1 or XM2010 chambered in 300 Win Mag.
[Linked Image]

Already in use.

[Linked Image]

speaking of M24s ...

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Here's my old go to for ducks and geese a vintage Ithaca 600 Mag that's never let me down in 30 yrs..drug through the snow,mud and below freezing temps and refuses to quit.Told my son I would come back to haunt him if he restores it when I finally check out! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Badass!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
In 1933, Earl Ozel Osbon

Incredible all around. Thanks so much for sharing that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This 16ga SXS is photogenic. In person it looks like that 20 footer at the end of the bar, come daylight. eek

I use it as much as all my other guns, combined.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How not to treat a Bennilli!! Or any gun for that matter. They are tools, maybe someone should have cleaned it on occassion!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Here is a 102 year old American beauty.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A couple of other well-aged firearms

[img]http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww184/Fishnfowler/12-11-11025.jpg[/img]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's a great tear jerker story Mr York!

don't know why but the 33 Win and the 40/65 just talk to me for some reason.. and I've never owned either calibers..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep her in the truck ready for action.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My favorite trout gun.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of hand me downs from yesteryear I still hunt with to honor their memory.My grandfather's Parker DH grade 16ga S/S and my FIL's Savage/Fox 20ga S/S.

[Linked Image]

Purchased these years ago and are still my hunters for Teal,Pheasants and quail.Belgium 20ga 3" A5 and very low serial # Ruger Red Label 20ga 3"

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (219 Wasp, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 68 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,225
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.