Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Least we won't see this guy around town anymore!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Cochran

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad to say I had never heard of that little jewel of Austin culture

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Washingtyon has some pretty good hunting too around Spokane. This Muley Buck was taken out of the wheat fields last fall
West of Spokane.

[Linked Image]

These Sheep were in a hay field west of Spokane on the Columbia River.

[Linked Image]

There is Elk South of Spokane in the Blues and/or the Paloose country and they are starting to migrate north as several herds have been sighted West of Spokane between Cheney and Sprague on I-90. Water Fowl and Upland Bird Hunting opportunities abound around Spokane and the fishing is world class in the surounding lakes and streams.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm from CA so Austin is going to be an improvement as far as politics go even if they are die hard libturds. My big hang up is I don't like big cities and I don't want to pay 2K or equivalent trade a year just to wack a deer. However, if we move there we would deffiitly be living outside of town.

My wife really likes the Seattle area. No way I could ever stand living there, but Spokane gets us to within a 5hr driver for her and closer to play land for me.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 007FJ
Glad to say I had never heard of that little jewel of Austin culture

AND he garnered 8% of the vote in one of the last mayoral elections. That's a healthy chunk of folks in that ville.

Founder

WS

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chicoredneck
I'm from CA so Austin is going to be an improvement as far as politics go even if they are die hard libturds. My big hang up is I don't like big cities and I don't want to pay 2K or equivalent trade a year just to wack a deer. However, if we move there we would deffiitly be living outside of town.

My wife really likes the Seattle area. No way I could ever stand living there, but Spokane gets us to within a 5hr driver for her and closer to play land for me.

If you are only going to hunt a few times a year and only want to kill a deer I wouldn't either. But even if you paid the $2k (which isn't required in TX) you might come out ahead if you hunt a lot since you can hunt year round here compared to driving 5 hours to hunt at the price of gas nowdays. Just something to think about.

Everyone has their want list. I could live pretty much anywhere I wanted but I chose to live where I can hunt year round and can travel if I want to hunt some other species like elk etc instead of the other way around. Depends on what you want.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by NathanL; 03/14/12.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Repeat after me. There are no sheep in the NW.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Why do so many Washington hunters,hunt and fish Idaho with all that fish and game you have?

Jayco grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't have a clue. I have never hunted ID.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Texas has big deer, no doubt about it. And there are places you can hunt for free. Washington deer are smaller.

Not Texas elk and bighorns along with their salmon, halibut, Dungeness crab, and such make Texas a much better choice.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logcutter
Why do so many Washington hunters,hunt and fish Idaho with all that fish and game you have?

It probably has to do with all the "right to work" Idahoans that work in Washington. Not only better wages, but much higher unemployment benefits. grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Choose Texas not as much public land for hunting. Washington is one of the liberal A-holes of America with high taxes and the State per capita is in as bad a debt as Mexifornia.

You're an idiot.

We have no income tax, and the a-holes all moved to Texas, or live on the west side of the state.

You don't get out much, do ya?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The deer around the Austin area generally are not very large. Central Texas deer just aren't in the same class as South Texas deer IMO. You'll get lucky every once and a wile and see a 150"er, but in my area 120" is on the large side of average for mature bucks.

If you want big deer your going to have to drive a ways to get to them, and it will cost you when you get there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Austin ain't that bad. There are crazies everywhere, the difference is that Austin is just proud of their crazies.

Depending on where in town you work you can commute 40 minutes and live amongst all the backwards white trash you desire. I'm starting to prefer mellow hippies to methed out honkeys with broke down cars in the yard. YMMV

The climate is great and there's more to do outside in the Austin area than you can keep up with. We could hike and canoe with our kids all year and never see the same place twice. It's one of the safest "large" cities in the country.

For $2000 you could hunt deer, pigs and birds all year with a place to stay and not too much of a drive. $2000 will get you MUCH more than just a chance to shoot deer. And if you're willing to drive a bit you can kill deer for free on public land. It's there, just not like in some western states.

If you come over to look around let me know and we'll meet up.

Eric

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by David_Walter
and the a-holes all moved to Texas, or live on the west side of the state.

You don't get out much, do ya?

Every state has their share of a-holes, libtards and good folk too. I really put no stock in where someone's from myself.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If you come over to look around let me know and we'll meet up.

Then you two better stop by & see me. Eric knows where I work. Hell, I'm crazy. Ask for Cra-z-Bob (The original Cra-z-Bob), downstairs and they will direct you up to my cell.

I'm just one of those old bastids that can't handle all the hope & change stuff that's been going on here for several decades...........I still remember Lake Travis when there was no one on the lake and the fishing was good. When there was water in the lake.

Founder

WS

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Washington nor Texas have a state income tax....the question is how to they charge for sales, property and other taxes to make up the difference.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I agree with the possible exceptions of NYC and Chicago. wink

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I live in Central WA. I also grew up in Idaho and lived for a long time in N. Idaho. I hunt and fish in both states, but that is because I have a lifetime license for Idaho and own land there. My family and friends still live there as well.

Spokane is my favorite urban area with Boise a close second. I love plenty of cities in MT, WY, UT, NV, OR, etc. But, none of them have the combination of access, wildlife, growing seasons, and urban amenities that those cities offer.

This thread shouldn't be a pissing match about whether people from WA ever go to ID for outdoor recreation. What a waste of bandwidth.

Spokane has great access to Whitetail, Elk, and Bear hunting. Upland hunting is at the doorstep. There are turkey, pheasant, chukar, quail, huns, all the waterfowl, and all the forest grouse. It exists on the hairy edge between the inland temperate rainforest, the phenomenal geology of the channeled scablands, and the overwhelming depth of the Snake river gorge.

There is the Pacific a half day to the West, Montana the other way, BC to the North, and the indomitable country of the Salmon/Snake to the South that is almost incomprensible. It lays at the terminus of the Purcell trench with all of the inland lakes and staggering volume of water that is the Kootenai, Flathead, Clark Fork, Coeur d'Alene, and Snake rivers.

If you have a chance to move to Spokane, grab it with both hands.

Here are some photos of the Snake River country, see any public land here?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Repeat after me. There are no sheep in the NW.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Texas has bighorn hunting on public land...it's just that we only give out 12 tags per year smile

Of course 50% of every sheep taken qualifies for B&C. Not cheap either but 100% of the proceeds are going back into sheep habitat. For a while they thought they were going to lose the desert bighorn altogether here after clashes with domestic sheep, now every year they are coming up with more and more tags. Nothing like out west I'll admit.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 03/14/12.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1badf350, 1234, 160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,641
Posts18,474,477
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.