-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 33 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 32 33
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, this the damnedest evolution argument thread I've ever seen.

I was in college when the internet took off. Suffered thru years of dancing jesus and homer simpson picture webpages. Net news sites and out of nowhere blog celebrities. Terrorist groups hiding messages in digital pictures. Hell we have everything from from illicit animal trading to elf sex going on in the internet. But in all my years I've never seen anything like this. :p

Way off track. I'm talking Deep Space 9 territory here.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rob p
I tried to change the subject.

Yes you did. But this is turning into an example of the 2nd Law of thermo. Frankly, I am impressed that it took this long.

I thought it might be proof of evolution. Guess not.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What about that flying peter pan fairy.. that dude was all over the net back in the day.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
holy [bleep], he's still alive..

http://pixyland.org/peterpan/updatenews.html

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yes, you tried. Anyway, is there a difference in evolution and simple natural selection? I would not argue about the finches or the moths in England or the many varieties of dogs. I would call that "natural selection." Evolution in my view refers to the progression, for example; of lemur to monkey to man. Or dinosaur to bird.

I would not want to argue that with these definitions, "natural selection" proves evolution.

TF

Last edited by TF49; 03/19/12. Reason: typo

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bwahaha, I do remember that guy now!

Ah man, back in the innocent days of the net. Ain't never seen anything like this though. This has been an unusually ~ahem~ spirited debate.

Anybody got a picture of the fridge chick?

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TF49
Yes, you tried. Anyway, is there a difference in evolution and simple natural selection? I would not argue about the finches or the moths in England or the many varieties of dogs. I would call that "natural selection." Evolution in my view refers to the progression, for example; of lemur to monkey to man. Or dinosaur to bird.

I would not want to argue that with these definitions, "natural selection" proves evolution.

TF

Natural selection is one mechanism of evolution. There is one other - genetic drift.

Both undeniably happen. (undenably references only rational adults).

Lemur to monkey is not anything. Lemurs did not evolve into monkeys nor did monkeys evolve into humans. Evolutionary biology makes no such claim. Such simple concepts as common ancestors are lost by antis.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Brent,

How is evolutionary biology different from evolution?

I seems to me that in these 41 pages "evolution" is the explanation for "how we got here."

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rob p
I have a biology (and science) background, and I can prove evolution exists. I can do it easily, and in a way that cannot be disputed. I can talk about Darwin's Finches, Gypsy Moths, Galapagos Tortoises, Fruit Flys, Potato Bugs, Gregor Mendel's Peas..., ..., ... The best, easiest argument I came up with is germs. Yes, germs. They are becoming more virulent and antibiotic resistant every day. That's evolution. By it's very definition, Evolution is the mechanism. Start with a population of organisms. Within a population, there is variation in traits among organisms. Now, the environment has to change. Stress has to be introduced. Some organisms in the population will be better suited to deal with this stress. They will do better. Get more food. Make more babies. Avoid predators... Eventually, over many generations, the favorable traits will be dominant in the population. That's evolution.

You have a strain of bacteria. Say, Staph aureus. It lives on our skin and usually doesn't bother us. Well, it also kills us. Jim Henson, the guy who created the Muppets died of a paper cut. Staph aureus got him. A particularly virulent strain. Hospitals are full of it. There are strains that are Streptomycin resistant. Soon, there will be strains that are Vancomycin resistant and a lot of people are going to die.

Bacteria on you probably number in the millions. They reproduce quickly and have lots of offspring. The perfect formula for evolution. You get sick, take antibiotics and get better. It doesn't kill all the bacteria. Some survive and reproduce. It won't kill their progeny either! Antibiotic resistance will become a trait of that strain. Eventually, unfortunately, a particularly nasty strain will follow this model and we have a killer. Germs evolve faster than we can find their weakness and develop antibiotics to treat them.

How long before the bacteria become people?

You don't use Streptomycin to treat a staph infection. I think you are groping for Methicillin, as in MRSA.

If you think this actually "proves" macro evolution, explain how you wind up with less genetic material in the end? And you also got the primary mechanism bacteria become resistant wrong, it is plasmid transference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This schit is laughable.

Science and God are not an either/or proposition. Neither is creation and evolution. The greatest scientific minds of our era and eras past believed, yet still managed break-throughs. Only the self-blinded and self-made ignorant make the case for the deity and science being mutually exclusive.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
You don't use Streptomycin to treat a staph infection.

Not anymore!

Streptomycin was once effective against staph infections until strains of the bacteria EVOLVED mechanisms to inhibit the action of Streptomycin.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Facts, are a bitch.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
This schit is laughable.

Science and God are not an either/or proposition. Neither is creation and evolution. The greatest scientific minds of our era and eras past believed, yet still managed break-throughs. Only the self-blinded and self-made ignorant make the case for the deity and science being mutually exclusive.

"The irony of the thread is that most of the individuals accepting the existence of evolution also accept the existence of God (or Goddess, depending on who's checking in...)

On the other hand, the Creationists reject even the notion of evolution in favor of literal application of ancient writings, translated into English, by the fallible hand of man, despite clear and abundant evidence that the timeline isn't possible.

Who's really close-minded and arrogant?" - Flyfast

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Exactly.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Ringman

What metaphors and parables are you refering to?
Curious whether you believe the bread and wine at the last supper were literally the flesh and blood of Jesus. Roman Catholics believe it, but just wondering if you agree with Catholics on this.

I know how Jesus made the wine, he has a picture on the internet:

How to make wine

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by antlers

Not anymore!

Streptomycin was once effective against staph infections until strains of the bacteria EVOLVED mechanisms to inhibit the action of Streptomycin.

They came up with S-T-R-E-Ptomycin to treat, wonder of wonders, a streptococcal infection. That has always been the drug of choice Marcus (as in Welby)

They germs started out as bacteria, and the "evolved" ones are now what, pray tell? Let me take a wild-azz guess, bacteria? Whooda [bleep]' thunk it?

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 03/19/12. Reason: spellin'
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you had a clue, you'd be dangerous. Check with the Harvard School of Medicine, School of Public Health, and the Johns Hopkins equivalents and get back to us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not anymore!

They came up with S-T-R-E-Ptomycin to treat, wonder of wonders, a streptococcal infection. That has always been the drug of choice Marcus (as in Welby).

Streptomycin is an aminoglycoside that was DERIVED from bacteria of the Streptomyces genus.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Not anymore!

They came up with S-T-R-E-Ptomycin to treat, wonder of wonders, a streptococcal infection. That has always been the drug of choice Marcus (as in Welby).

Streptomycin is an aminoglycoside that was DERIVED from bacteria of the Streptomyces genus.

You are slow googler, now if you only knew what that meant. Streptomycin is no longer a very effective drug and is seldom used, save for TB. But that isn't the main reason it isn't used on humans. So what is it Dr Welby?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
After that Tri-Delt on Spring Break, I think they gave me tetracycline.

Murphy was an optimist.
Page 21 of 33 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,867
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.