Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Sounds a little like the Joe Pool case in Texas in some ways. After a long court battle he was no billed by the Grand Jury.

Hard to tell how it will play out until all the facts come out...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 1minute
I saw a news report this evening. I heard mention that is was a gated community, but there were way too many details missing from the report for one to even make a guess as to what transpired. Maybe you close in folks have more details.

agreed,
I finally heard the home owners 911 call
and it was clear that the "perp" was calling for HELP
and then one gunshot stopped the ruccus.

I blame the home owners that had this "block watch " dude on patrol.
If someone is screaming Help in my back yard, I'm there with a 12 gauge putting a stop to the assualt.
Even if one assailant is wearing blue.

The FBI is investigating now
The coloreds are up in arms.

It's gonna be a LONG HOT summer, already calling for 82 here in Ohio!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone yelling for help gets shot is I saw in my minds eye when I read the account. No stolen goods. No weapon. Doesn't it seem like the watchmans job was done when he scared him off?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I guess Hispanics can be white?

Don't worry, I got tripped up on this too and I've been living and working in a 90% American Mexican setting for more'n twenty years grin

The confusion comes because in many if not most settings, here in America we use the term "Hispanic" as if it WERE a "race", even to the extent of having scholarships specifically for Hispanics.

Interesting thing is, I've worked with a kid who is the daughter of Spanish parents. She was adamant that she was "White" and not "Hispanic" in the American sense, even to the extent of not applying for such scholarships where she might have gotten money. Her parents were quite emphatic about this too, it seems the ORIGINAL Hispanics set themselves apart.

No biggie, when I was a kid in England we thought we were better than them OTHER folks who lived on the next street over, us being marginally less poor than them crazy

As for the rest of it, I was imagining the shooter in this case to be an older White guy, of the sort that does neighborhood watches in gated communities. Now it turns out that he weren't, and was a much younger man as well.

I expect this is gonna throw Jesse and Al for a loop grin

Birdwatcher

I'm glad some of you answered this is a more fact-based and less passionately than I would have. Suffice to say, ignorance abounds and is all around us, thanks to our union-based democrap controlled education system.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've known lots of red haired blue eyed Mexicans who could buy and sell everyone on this board. They definitely considered themselves white even though their families had been in Mexico since about 1540 or so.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Self Defense all the way!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BarryC

... we don't want there to be another Trayvon," Tracy Martin said.
Well, hey, at least there's one thing we can all agree on! grin

You do have to wonder what he was doing skulking around a gated community. He had to climb a fence somewhere.

The kid's father lived in the community; the kid was visiting. He'd been expelled from this Miami HS for 10 days for violating school administrative policy (however, the school has said it was not related to violence or firearms).

And the shooter (who felt threatened) had been previously arrested for battery on a police officer and resisting arrest. Additonaly, ehent he shoooter called 911, he was told to not follow the kid - he ignored the advise.
see: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...0120310_1_crime-battery-wftv-com-reports

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
This is nothing to do with "stand your ground".

Zimmerman was instructed to stay in his car, and not to follow this kid. He chose to do otherwise, pursue this kid, and the situation devolved from there.

But, the media will try to twist this into something else so that little old ladies, college girls, elderly homeowners, or anyone else, cannot legally shoot their attackers.

Well let me throw a hypothetical at you.

You see a guy breaking into your car or your neighbors car. You yell at him and he runs off, would it be absolutely wrong to chase after him? If you caught up to him and he chose to attack you at that point, could you then percieve a situation possibly warranting deadly self defense? Just because one gives chase does not mean he has forfeited his right to self defense does it?

No lawyer here, but the "stand your ground" policy should apply only if the guy is in his own home, or clearly threatened. It should not apply to a case in which the shooter pursues the suspect and engages him (the shooter then becomes the aggressor). Am I correct?

In this case, the cops had been called and were responding.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Well let me throw a hypothetical at you.

You see a guy breaking into your car or your neighbors car. You yell at him and he runs off, would it be absolutely wrong to chase after him? If you caught up to him and he chose to attack you at that point, could you then percieve a situation possibly warranting deadly self defense? Just because one gives chase does not mean he has forfeited his right to self defense does it?

No lawyer here, but the "stand your ground" policy should apply only if the guy is in his own home, or clearly threatened. It should not apply to a case in which the shooter pursues the suspect and engages him (the shooter then becomes the aggressor). Am I correct?

In this case, the cops had been called and were responding.
I don't believe you're correct. The stand your ground law authorizes you to defend yourself, with no obligation to retreat, so long as you are where you have a right to be at the time. Since every citizen has a right to investigate crimes in progress, and to make arrests (that's where cops get those powers, i.e., we lend them to them to act in our stead), he would have a right to be there and to defend himself should the person he seeks to arrest become violent.

PS I wasn't there, and there is no video, so don't know if the actual fact pattern fits what I wrote above.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote=djs] No lawyer here, but the "stand your ground" policy should apply only if the guy is in his own home, or clearly threatened. [quote=djs]

In Florida (THANK GOD) all you need is the latter...

Last edited by jorgeI; 03/20/12.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The real story here (that's being missed since the superficial aspects are so talky) is that the DA and cops are using this as an attack on the "Stand Your Ground" law.

Take an obviously bad shoot (sounds like he basically mugged and murdered the kid) and make sure you very publicly interpret it in a way that makes the "Stand Your Ground" law, and all its supporters, look stupid.

"Yeah, it looks pretty bad, but this law means that he can pretty much do what he wants to, and we have to take his word for it, and our hands are tied. If you want to avoid situations like this, you need to change the law to get rid of this 'self-defense' nonsense. It's just a ticket to lawlessness."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pine_Tree
you need to change the law to get rid of this 'self-defense' nonsense. It's just a ticket to lawlessness."

Gee, I didn't know MoveON readers posted here....Go back to your Directorate kamarad...

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
you need to change the law to get rid of this 'self-defense' nonsense.
============

Are you confident you thought that one through?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
[quote=djs] No lawyer here, but the "stand your ground" policy should apply only if the guy is in his own home, or clearly threatened. [quote=djs]

In Florida (THANK GOD) all you need is the latter...

What was the kid gonna do? Take him down with that package of Skittles?

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 03/20/12.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not justifying his actions there ace, just merely pointing out the portion of the law that could POSSIBLY apply...

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Pine_Tree
you need to change the law to get rid of this 'self-defense' nonsense. It's just a ticket to lawlessness."

Gee, I didn't know MoveON readers posted here....Go back to your Directorate kamarad...

reading comprehension....how does it work?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by isaac
you need to change the law to get rid of this 'self-defense' nonsense.
============

Are you confident you thought that one through?

Yep, positive. Are you confident you read and understood what I wrote?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

I'm glad some of you answered this is a more fact-based and less passionately than I would have. Suffice to say, ignorance abounds and is all around us, thanks to our union-based democrap controlled education system. [/quote]

WTF??

Where did that come from? Did little JorgeI have a bad experience in grade school?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Concealed carry does not make you a police officer, nor does it give you a red cape and "S" for your chest.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, the word "nonsense" seemed rather focal to your OP, not to mention your other comments on this site..

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,771
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.