Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Not bad. Not bad at all, with the exception of the supplements that contain effective anti oxidents. So far, there are no supliment antioxidents that work. The compounds are identical, but when tested in the body, they don't work. E

E, You are so full of crap when in comes to nutrition.

Ed T

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Not bad. Not bad at all, with the exception of the supplements that contain effective anti oxidents. So far, there are no supliment antioxidents that work. The compounds are identical, but when tested in the body, they don't work. E

E, You are so full of crap when in comes to anything

Fixed it for you

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Powerguy
Originally Posted by Ed_T

E, You are so full of crap when in comes to anything

Fixed it for you

Cut E some slack. Maybe nutrition isn't his forte, but he does know guns and 4wds better'n most.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
And don't forget about focusing scopes . . . whistle

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You can do anything on low carb you can on high carb once the body is adjusted with the exception of maintaining about 80% max HR for hours upon hours. 65% Max HR sure you can do it for 12 hours.

To add fuel to the fire here is something that may interest everyone.
World-Renown-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
To add fuel to the fire here is something that may interest everyone.
World-Renown-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease

I completely agree with this guy, he nails it dead on.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Really Ed ? You apparently got your nutrition education by reading the ad hype and "trying it on yourself." Alot of people do that.
The trouble is you, and people like you, spend alot of money on stuff that doesn't work nearly as well as they are led to believe. You see, all you need to do is buy and eat the right foods that are readily avialiable and follow the nutrition advice that's been around for years. No special foods or diet suppliments are needed unless one doesn't eat properly in the first place.
I got mine by learning the basics and following the properly done studies, not by following the ideas of the diet gurus. The Federal Food Guidelines that you reject are simply a summary of many years of properly done studies.
By doing so, I've found myself in better physical condition than ever and I have far fewer sick days or other medical conditions.
It's your call. E

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lets see...

Take advice from an opinionated guy that's frequently wrong and a known bullshitter...

Or a dude who ran ultra marathons and has been there done that...

Decisions decisions??

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm thinking Jeff O and Boxer would even both mutually agree on whose advice to follow between the two.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not even a pretend expert on the internet. Hell until recently i thought light beer and reduced fat oreos were health food. I've a out given up on the diet business. When my little girl wants pancakes for breakfast we're having carbs. I try not to let some "diet" run my life and if I'm 15lbs. Heavier for it so be it. I just try and eat better today then yesterday, and follow what a college buddy said, get the fire hot enough you can burn anything!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You did show me the way when it came to cornbread...

My NW Montana Cracker Ass never knew there was different KINDS of the [bleep]??

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Wow...this has turned into quite a thread. Lot of good stuff in here...mixed with quite a bit of B.S. as well (as usual). smile

I think the bottom line is that different things obviously work for different people. As long as you're fueling your body for the type of exercise and level of exertion you're accustomed to or want to get accustomed to, and you're keeping blood pressure, cholesterol, etc etc in check then you're fine. If you're not staying strong, if you're getting fat, if you have hypertension, if your cholesterol is elevated then you need to make changes. Dan is on the right track, he tried something...it's not working for his activity level and so he's going to make some adjustments until it does work. Perfect.

One thing that's always kind of confused me is the whole "well, people used to do it hundreds or thousands of years ago so it must be good" mentality. Considering people used to die a LOT younger back then, I'm not sure that's the recipe for success. I'm not saying you're completely wrong about their diets (I haven't read enough about those particular diets to form an opinion) and I know there are many factors besides diet that accounted for people dying younger, I just don't understand the argument. If something is healthy, it's healthy. Show me the science and results behind it. But don't try to convince me it's correct because cavemen or frontiersmen did it.

I also have a much harder time buying into diets that are promoted by people who are making money off of them (through books, videos, directly selling the food needed for the diet, etc). That's like buying a new truck and instead of doing your due diligence beforehand, you just ask the guy at the Ford dealership what the best truck on the market is. Obviously he's not going to recommend you buy a Dodge or Chevy. The best research comes from unbiased third party scientific studies in which the researchers have no financial interest in the results.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by strawman
But don't try to convince me it's correct because cavemen or frontiersmen did it.

The Paleo diet is so easy, even a caveman can do it...

Seriously though, you make some good points.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have been on the paleo diet for a short period of time and so far I like it . The underlying premises make sense to me. I enjoy looking at photos of WWII soldiers. They were all scrawny and wiry looking. What do you think they would look like today on the typical high carb/junk food diet? As far as cavemen, frontiersmen, etc., dying early you have to remember accidents happened all the time back then and there was no medical care. Simple medical problems plus bacteria and viruses meant you were dead. It wasn't a person's diet that killed him.

But I would take anything Dr. Dwight C. Lundell says with a big grain of salt. Between 2000 and 2008, Dr. Lundell was subjected to five regulatory actions by the Arizona Medical Board and then had his medical license revoked in 2008. He has filed for bankruptcy twice. In 2004 he was convicted on three counts of willfully failing to pay his federal taxes and put on three years probation. He would not be my source of information for a healthy diet.

Once again get your information from solid scientific sources and make your choices. Don't embrace someone's spiel just because he's telling you what you want to hear.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Well, it is important and relevant what "cavemen"did...that IS the science, and it is based on our genetics and how we developed. I read in a book sometime ago that if you look at human history as it relates to diet In the context of a football field the distance to the age of agriculture is like 98 yards and something like 100,000 generations; then to the industrial revolution is like 99 2/3 yards and about 8 generations.

Our modern diet is abased on the last couple inches of a football field. I thought that was an interesting way to illustrate things. As mentioned by someone else, it is not diet that killed our ancestors. They were eating what our bodies were designed to eat based upon thousands and thousands oaf years of adaptation or whatever your want to call it (don't want to enter a theological argument). The simple fact is that it takes many generations for genetic adaptation and the human body has not had enough time to adapt to the foods we currently eat. Diseases like heart disease weren't even described until the early 1900's but are epidemic now, as is obesity, diabetes,etc. we all know this, but still disagree on causation. Stephen Taube and authors like him (as well as physicians that have questioned the wisdom of the supposedly heart-healthy diet for many years) base their argument on sound science based on human history and evolution/adaptation and the way cells function metabolically. The not-so-smart thing to do in my estimation is to swallow the garbage (no pun intended) espoused today as "healthy" and "necessary".

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I think many people are mistaken as to what complex carbs are. I eat plenty of complex carbs, but try to get most of them as vegetables rather than grains.

Here are some of my meals fro the past couple weeks:

Breakfast this morning. Breakfast burrito with 3 eggs scrambled with salsa and eaten on collared greens rather than a tortilla:

[Linked Image]

Lunch yesterday. Baby turnips with the greens, cauliflower, broccoli, green garlic, orange bell pepper and grape tomatoes sauteed' in olive oil.

[Linked Image]

A supper of grilled elk steak served on a variety of steamed and fresh veggies including broccoli, carrots, kale, chard, and tomatoes.

[Linked Image]

A supper of baked chicken breast with ginger served with sauteed' veggies of bell pepper, fennel, asparagus, and broccli diccio.

[Linked Image]

Another supper of grilled elk steak on raw veggies that include kholarabi, watermelon radish, arugula, spinach, avacado and cooked beets. Topped with romano cheese.

[Linked Image]

I still eat grains, but I feel much better if they are limited.

Ed T

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Damn Ed, those meals look delicious.

Do you grow your own veggies?

If not are they organic?

Are the eggs homegrown or organic?

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
elkhunter,

Thanks! They were delicious.

I grow many of my own veggies, but the iceburg just melted off my garden spot, so it will be a while yet smile I still have some kale and tomatoes in the freezer from last summer though.

I eat mostly organic and prefer local organic when possible.

The eggs we eat are raised organically by a co-worker of mine.

Ed T

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ya winter started with a whimper this year but went out fighting to the last breath, three weeks ago I had no snow, yesterday there was three inches, now its melting again ......... for the third time.

I would say you are a lucky man Ed, but proper planning, preperation and execution arent luck. smile

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
In order to get enough calores from greens and most vegetables Ed, one has to eat about five pounds of them per day. That's why whole grains are a much better choice. Even with alot of whole grains, it's still tough to get 50% of your calores from complex carbs. Again, if you run out of glucose from carbs, the body turns to proteins and them muscle tissue for glucose.
I eat alot like you do as a matter of fact. But I center my breakfasts on a large bowl of oatmeal, not veggies, eggs or meat. I also have a small whole wheat bagel, a fat free yogurt with chunks of fruit and top my oatmeal with fresh or dried berries.
Lunch is another bowl of oatmeal, with a banana, and either fresh berries or honey. I add a hard boiled egg, 3-4 ozs. of almonds, and usally a couple of apricot newtons.
Dinner is a large salad for a center piece. Greens of five different varieties, baby carrots lining the edge, a small tomatoe or several cherry tomatoes, a slice of red bell pepper, some white chicken meat, say 6 ozs. worth, and a topping of brocoli or several brussel sprouts. That, and a large baked potatoe eaten with the skin and topped with fat free ranch dressing, and a couple of corn meal cup cakes for desert.
If I need to snack between meals, I choose something that's at least 50% complex carbs, not sugar. Some fat and fiber if I'm not out of breath much from activity. E

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (1badf350, 1234, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 48 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.