Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Looking at using GMX, E-tip, XP3, TTSX or similar for elk and deer this year. I know there are tons of other bullet options that are proven to be great like the Partition and Accubonds(used last year). Hear this type of bullet penetrates well and lessens bloodshot. Wondering if any of these are better than the others?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seen and/or put to use TSX, TTSX and XP3. Not impressed with the reactions or speed of death on any of them on elk. Seen or used: 270 WSM 130 TSX, 264 Win 120 TTSX, .30-06 180 XP3, .300 Win 168 TSX.

Not much bloodshot though and through and through penetrations.

I don't believe weight retention and penetration is everything though

Last edited by exbiologist; 03/27/12.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
What was shot placement? Do you think that the slowed expansion and through and through penetration did a poor job delivering energy to the elk? In you experience what bullet delivered the best results consistently?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First elk with a TSX was the 270 WSM, first shot was a little bit low, hitting it in the "elbow", when I finished him off, took what felt like 5 to 10 minutes with a lung shot to actually die from about 5 yards away. Shot in the neck to speed things up, but apparently missed bone, didn't seem to help, so I quit shooting and let him die.

Next was a cow at about 200 yards from a 300 Win Mag and 168 TSX that a buddy shot through the lungs, no reaction, I dropped her with the 264 and 140 Partitions.

Next elk was a cow and calf pair. A buddy shot the cow in the lungs, no reaction with 180 XP3 from 30-06 from about 50 yards, it ran about 50 yards til I shot it with a 264 Win Mag and 140 Partitions, stopping it and staggering it, then shot it again, dropping it. Calf was then shot by another buddy with a 180 MRX (thought it was an XP3 before, sorry) also from a .30-06. It just stood there next to dead momma for a minute or two and was shot again. One bullet recovered that went from the shoulder to the femur, first bullet went through.

Next was a bull that I shot with the 264, 120 TTSX quartering away at 100 yards, broke the off shoulder. No reaction. Next shot was quartering towards, breaking the on shoulder, no reaction. Third shot I hurried too much but accidentally broke the fore leg, dropping him.

Prob my last usage of the monolithic bullets. Just not impressed with them. I prefer Partitions and Accubonds as a better blend of penetration and fragmentation. Elk and deer seem to shrug them off less for whatever that's worth. But I also use Ballistic Tips heavily on deer and antelope and they don't go far, if anywhere, plus there seems to be more audible and visual confirmation of a hit.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First elk with a TSX was the 270 WSM, first shot was a little bit low, hitting it in the "elbow", when I finished him off, took what felt like 5 to 10 minutes with a lung shot to actually die from about 5 yards away. Shot in the neck to speed things up, but apparently missed bone, didn't seem to help, so I quit shooting and let him die.

Next was a cow at about 200 yards from a 300 Win Mag and 168 TSX that a buddy shot through the lungs, no reaction, I dropped her with the 264 and 140 Partitions.

Next elk was a cow and calf pair. A buddy shot the cow in the lungs, no reaction with 180 XP3 from 30-06 from about 50 yards, it ran about 50 yards til I shot it with a 264 Win Mag and 140 Partitions, stopping it and staggering it, then shot it again, dropping it. Calf was then shot by another buddy with a 180 MRX (thought it was an XP3 before, sorry) also from a .30-06. It just stood there next to dead momma for a minute or two and was shot again. One bullet recovered that went from the shoulder to the femur, first bullet went through the lungs.

Next was a bull that I shot with the 264, 120 TTSX quartering away at 100 yards, broke the off shoulder. No reaction. Next shot was quartering towards, breaking the on shoulder, no reaction. Third shot I hurried too much but accidentally broke the fore leg, dropping him.

Prob my last usage of the monolithic bullets. Just not impressed with them. I prefer Partitions and Accubonds as a better blend of penetration and fragmentation. Elk and deer seem to shrug them off less for whatever that's worth. But I also use Ballistic Tips heavily on deer and antelope and they don't go far, if anywhere, plus there seems to be more audible and visual confirmation of a hit.

Last edited by exbiologist; 03/27/12.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You know of course,everyone of the bullets you mentioned will kill Elk as well as the cheaper,less expensive...

Our ancestors only wished for the bullets of today!

Jayco

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I know Partitions are well known for a good mix of expansion and penetration. I used 165 grain Accubonds last year for the first time on a deer at 230ish yards from a 308. It did give a good audible confirmation. The deer was laying and I delivered one broadside shot into the heart and lungs, broke off side shoulder/leg but did not exit. The buck never stood up, seemed to almost have died upon impact as I do not recall motion at at all. But I was a bit concerned that the bullet did not exit and the entrance was small, though the bullet did do what was intended. What is your experience with Accubonds? What would be your personal suggestion for elk? deer?

Thanks

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My experience with those bullets (and similar ones, such as the Fail Safe) is pretty similar, not just on elk but similar-sized game. If they hit heart/2lungs they kill OK, but outside of that perfect broadside shot they kill slower. They do penetrate, though.

The bullets I have experience with include the Nosler E-Tip, Winchester XP3, and all the versions of the Barnes X, from the original to the TTSX, mostly in .30 caliber.

The XP3 can penetrate less than the others, due to the rear core expanding on impact, much like the rear of a Swift A-Frame. This depends on impact velocity.

These days I tend to choose such bullets more for smaller animals I like to eat, such as pronghorns and doe deer, since they kill pretty well and shred less meat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I am aware that cup and core bullets will do the job. I am merely trying to get the best advantage to make a clean ethical kill. I understand that I must do my part and place the bullet in the vitals at reasonable ranges.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Mule Deer,
I put in for seperate hunting seasons for deer and elk and antelope, so I may choose 2 different loads. Which of the stated do you use for deer and antelope? I was going to go with the GMX but the XP3 seems that it would expand to a larger diameter and would penetrate just fine on deer and antelope.

What would your suggestion for elk be?

Thanks

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jcrain1970
. What is your experience with Accubonds? What would be your personal suggestion for elk? deer?

Thanks

130 .264 Accubond and 200 .300 Win Mag Accubonds on elk and mule deer. The only one that wasn't complete penetration was a severe quartering (found against the femur) shot from the .300 by a buddy. Here's the recovered bullet, cow went 20 yards:
[Linked Image]
Sample of one mule deer and 3 elk, none went very far, good blood trails and visible reactions, lots of visible damage

From the .308, I'd go with a 165 Partition, and that's what I'll be loading for my girlfriend this year.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
The .308 is no longer mine, just sold it a few days ago. This year I will be using a .270 more than likely but possibly a 30-06. Does that change your suggestion?

Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
it would if it was a .270, then I'd go 150 or 160 Partition

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the 168 TTSX from 300 Wby won't get er dun best bring in the heavy stuff!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had very good results with TSX, TTSX, and GMX bullets on antelope, deer, and elk. Extremely accurate, fully penetrate, and quick kills.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Taz
Has any of them performed better than the next? or are they all about the same?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used TTSX and TSX for a few good seasons now. They shoot well and have good on-game performance.

One thing I found lacking was the 'impact' if a high-shoulder shot wasnt taken. The lack of reaction from critters or the quick death that is seen with a 'softer' bullet seems to happen if you dont hit good solid bone with one of these bullets.

While I've loved the penetration and the on-game performance when it comes to meat, etc, I have moved to an Accubond this year and will see how it does for giving me a bit better reaction at shot when shooting away from the shoulder.

Most of my experiences are with 7-08AI and 140TSX and 140TTSX. This year I'm moving to a 7SAUM and 160AB. I may still use the 140/150TTSX in this cartridge and may try the 120TTSX in the 7-08AI or a 140AB for kicks.

So many options!!!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We pretty much load TTSX's for everything now days. Sure many other bullets will do the job, but so far on mule deer, whitetials, antelope and elk they've worked great and we see good to great accuracy in all our model 70's, so why change. Guess I'm just boring.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have tried to like the mono's on deer and they just don't do it for me.

1st elk I ever killed fell to a 130 grain .277 gameking, DRT, since then, Partitions, Accubonds, Hornady Spire Points and SST's have all done excellent work for me at varying range's!

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Has anyone had experience with the XP3s? Seems like a good balance of bullet performance. Have you had any issues with the TTSX? I do not hand load so would be buying factory loaded

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,856
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.