Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The Partition and AB just work so well, I can't understand why go with the mono's unless law dictates? I guess it is a question more than a statement, why?

Good Shooting!
GB1

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I guess I am just intrigued by the penetration and lack of lead fragments/bloodshot. I have heard the bullets being longer than the same weight lead bullets make them more b.c. friendly. I have used accubonds with great success before but was looking at the options.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jcrain,

Any of the bullets you list will expand wider if driven faster. This does tend to help them kill quicker, in my experience, the reason I prefer to start any of them at 3000 fps or more. The XP3, however, does have a lead core in the rear, which tends to shift forward, expanding the back end of the bullet at high impact velocities, especially when it hits bone. This can reduce penetration, just as it does in the Swift A-Frame when the rear core expands.

A lot of people are confused about the extra length of monolithic bullets, compared to a lead-core of the same weight. The length does NOT increase ballistic coefficient or sectional density. SD is purely related to weight and diameter. Any 100-grain .25 caliber bullet has exactly the same SD as any other 100-grain .25 caliber bullets, no matter what it's made of, no matter the length.

Ballistic coefficient is a combination of form and sectional density. A .25 caliber 100-grain TTSX or E-Tip is longer than a .25 caliber 100-grain Partition or GameKing, but that has nothing to with BC.

Bullets kill by tearing up vital organs. The monolithic bullets tear up less tissue, the reason they result in less meat damage, but that also results in less damage to the vital organs. If you put one in the right place, say through the top of the heart and both lungs, it will kill pretty quickly, especially on deer-sized game where the size of the hole is relatively large compared to the animal. But on larger animals the monolithics don't kill as quickly, on average, as bullets that fragment somewhat. They also don't kill deer as quickly when the shot is off-center a little, say in the rear half of the lungs.

The monolithics penetrate quite well, but don't have as big an advantage over some lead-cored bullets as many hunters believe. I've shot lengthwise through deer and antelope with Nosler Ballistic Tips and Partitions, for instance, and almost lengthwise through elk with Partitions. Lead-cored bullets, however, do have more tendency to stop under the hide, due to their rounded, less jagged mushroom. This really has nothing to do with killing power, however, as a bullet that stops under the hide has obviously penetrated everything up to that point, and the skin isn't a vital organ like the heart or lungs.

So, yeah, monolithic bullets work, often very well. But they aren't magic.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Mule deer,
So what lead core bullet would you recommend for elk using a .270 win? The partition, accubond, seem to be popular. What about interlock? And the a frame you mentioned? Or the XP3 as it looks to expand wider & faster

Last edited by jcrain1970; 03/28/12.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Only seen one TTSX on an elk, but seen a dozen or more on elk sized critters in Africa.

The only TTSX I have seen put into an elk made the elk not last long. Nice size, healthy cow... Little brother, 235 yards, 257 wby, 100 TTSX.... One shot, cow fell so fast I would have thought he missed if I wasnt watching through my binos.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jcrain1970
Looking at using GMX, E-tip, XP3, TTSX or similar for elk and deer this year. I know there are tons of other bullet options that are proven to be great like the Partition and Accubonds(used last year). Hear this type of bullet penetrates well and lessens bloodshot. Wondering if any of these are better than the others?

Thanks

I have confidence in the TTSX and the Partition. I like the Hornady SP for deer, and it doesn't mean I wouldn't consider any of the other bullets you mentioned, but I have confidence in both the TTSX and the Partition.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
How does the a frame compare to the partition? Seems like the design is similar but the a frame seems to retain weight better from what I have read. Is that accurate? Any performance difference?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The A-Frame tends to retain more weight than the Partition, but that also depends on the Partition. The bigger the Partition, in both diameter and weight, the more weight it's designed to retain. A-Frames typicall retain about 90% of their weight, but they also tend to open up more widely than Partitions, both front and rear, so usually penetration is very similar. The A-Frame tends to make a bigger hole the entire length of the wound channel, while the Partition makes an even bigger hole on entry, which tapers to a smaller hole after several inches.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Any experiences trophy bonded bear claws? Or interbonds?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed seven deer with the 139 GMX in 7mm Rem Mag. 6 of 7 fell where they stood, but all were high shoulder shots. When you hit that scapula, it makes little difference what bullet you're using. All were complete pass throughs at ranges up to 300 yards.

I like the GMX and the TTSX a lot -- mostly because I can get them to shoot well consistently. However, I take high shoulder shots when hunting with them for the reasons previously stated. I wouldn't hesitate to punch both lungs if that's the aspect I was presented with, but I'd expect a slower kill and, possibly, a tracking job.

Chris
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jcrain,

I've used all the versions of the Trophy Bonded, since they were produced by Jack Carter himself in the 1980's up to the present nickel-plated, plastic-tipped, groove-shank version. There are some people who think the original was the best, but that hasn't been my experience. It fouled like crazy, sometimes didn't shoot that well, and in all but the very largest calibers the front end tended to expand into a ball, which didn't kill nearly as well as the flatter mushroom of many other controlled-expansion bullets, such as the TSX and Partition. When Federal took over the manufacturing they revamped the jacket to create a flatter mushroom, which killed quicker. The present version is very accurate and kills quite well.

Interbonds open up widely and so don't always penetrate as deeply as some other controlled-expansion bullets--but they generally penetrate enough. I've never gotten super-accuracy out of them, which seems to be common, but they generally shoot well enough for most big game hunting.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by richardca99
I've killed seven deer with the 139 GMX in 7mm Rem Mag. 6 of 7 fell where they stood, but all were high shoulder shots. When you hit that scapula, it makes little difference what bullet you're using. All were complete pass throughs at ranges up to 300 yards.

I like the GMX and the TTSX a lot -- mostly because I can get them to shoot well consistently. However, I take high shoulder shots when hunting with them for the reasons previously stated. I wouldn't hesitate to punch both lungs if that's the aspect I was presented with, but I'd expect a slower kill and, possibly, a tracking job.

That's been my experience with X/TSX/TTSX bullets, as well. I usually shoot between 1/2 and 2/3 up the body, in line with the shoulder, and they usually collapse at the shot, with little meat damage. The bullet usually passes within a couple of inches of the lower spinal processes, breaks some scapula or shoulder bone, and punches both lungs.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Mule deer,
Seems like you have experienced most bullets available and have a wealth of knowledge. If you were to choose a bullet for an elk hunt using a 270 win, what would you choose? And what would be the second choice?

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
What about the SST? I think its a bit thinly cased for elk but anyone use it for em?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jcrain,

Have seen more 150 Nosler Partitions used on elk than eny other bullet from the .270, and it does a fine job. But it's really hard to go wrong these days, with all the premium bullets on the market.

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have seen more Elk killed with the 270 Win than any other caliber and never seen one yet killed with a 150 NP that a 130 grain Partition would not have killed.I have used both and stick to 130 Partitions and the old 140 Trophy Bonded.

Like in the 30-06...You don't need a 200 grain bullet because the 180 does it all.I think the record Brown bear for years was taken with a 180 grain pill.

The 270 Win and 130 grain Noslers are like peanut butter and jellie in a jar,with the twist just perfect.

Jayco

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Jayco,

What is your favorite 130 partition load?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have tried most of the powders early on and liked RL-22 for speed(I was young) but these days I save my W-760/H-414 for my personal loads and IMR-4350....

I use Winchester brass and Winchester LRP..I don't give out powder charges on the net..Seems to cause problems for some reason...

But 3100 fps in my 24" Winchester is fairly easy.

Jayco

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I need to get into reloading, all the fac tory stuff i can findshoots pretty mildly except the Superformance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by exbiologist
First elk with a TSX was the 270 WSM, first shot was a little bit low, hitting it in the "elbow", when I finished him off, took what felt like 5 to 10 minutes with a lung shot to actually die from about 5 yards away. Shot in the neck to speed things up, but apparently missed bone, didn't seem to help, so I quit shooting and let him die.

Next was a cow at about 200 yards from a 300 Win Mag and 168 TSX that a buddy shot through the lungs, no reaction, I dropped her with the 264 and 140 Partitions.

Next elk was a cow and calf pair. A buddy shot the cow in the lungs, no reaction with 180 XP3 from 30-06 from about 50 yards, it ran about 50 yards til I shot it with a 264 Win Mag and 140 Partitions, stopping it and staggering it, then shot it again, dropping it. Calf was then shot by another buddy with a 180 MRX (thought it was an XP3 before, sorry) also from a .30-06. It just stood there next to dead momma for a minute or two and was shot again. One bullet recovered that went from the shoulder to the femur, first bullet went through.

Next was a bull that I shot with the 264, 120 TTSX quartering away at 100 yards, broke the off shoulder. No reaction. Next shot was quartering towards, breaking the on shoulder, no reaction. Third shot I hurried too much but accidentally broke the fore leg, dropping him.

Prob my last usage of the monolithic bullets. Just not impressed with them. I prefer Partitions and Accubonds as a better blend of penetration and fragmentation. Elk and deer seem to shrug them off less for whatever that's worth. But I also use Ballistic Tips heavily on deer and antelope and they don't go far, if anywhere, plus there seems to be more audible and visual confirmation of a hit.

Easy on the assessment, my oldest boy hit a cow elk in the boiler room 3 times, all right next to each other (because the elk would not go down) with a 180 grain Accubond at 225 yards with his 30-06 two years ago. We found 2 of the bullets on the aft hide. The cow elk would not go down so the guide kept telling him to put another one in her. So you cant just assume bonded are better or delivering a faster kill in all cases either.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.