Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Not sure what, if anything, is better about the Remington. I have both Remingtons and Savages. My Savage 22-250 is the most accurate rifle I own. It is but ugly, has a flimsy stock, a lousy trigger (pre-accutrigger days) but it flat shoots lights out. I pretty much only use it for prairie dogs anymore and should re-stock it with a heavier, wider stock but it shoots 1/4" groups with one load and 3/8" with several others. I have never had a Remington that did anywhere near that.

It's pretty obvious you have a closed mind on the whole thing so there is no point debating it with you. Savage has made a lot of inroads to become mainstream and not getting a lot of credit from the homers...

never had a complaint bout how mine shot, still think the old style Savage(Stevens 200) is a hell of a buy to get someone on a budget started in hunting so they can put more money towards optics......just after using some others models i lost interest in the Savages cause the others felt better in the hand......actual performance once the trigger was squeeze never left me with a complaint, just do alot of packing in between trigger time and i like a hunting rifle in my hand as much as possible.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and btw Swamparse is an idiot......dumbphuck thinks using a non-Remington is akin to cheating on his wife......his words, not mine.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WOW there is a zinger in your comment from which I will refrain since Iver never met the guy or his sister...

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I really don't think much of any of the synthetic stocks when it comes to carrying them. I just think that at some point, we need to wake up and smell the coffee so to speak that Savage is actually making some pretty nice stuff regardless of the price.

I can't wait to try a couple different bullets in this rifle as I have only tried the 180 Bergers so far. They are notorious for being fickle and I am yet to break 1 MOA.

Wish the Vortex scope had more eye relief though!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
H
I orderd a 12 LRPV in .243 with a threaded barrel in 5/8-24 with a 1:8 twist(best Savage can do, although I really wanted 1:7) on Jan 9 2012, told 8-10 weeks, it has been 13 weeks and still no word on estimated delivery. Never again!, buy a 6 BR Norma and rebarrel, much quicker and cheaper!!!

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I'm guessing there will be a Mossberg Custom Shop next. I mean after all Savage has one.

+1 Savage and custom shop in the same sentence is too funny - almost an oxymoron. I'll take the Marlin ove Savage any day, just because the bolt shroud is much more appealing to me.

NRA Benefactor member
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by rattler
and btw Swamparse is an idiot......dumbphuck thinks using a non-Remington is akin to cheating on his wife......his words, not mine.....

...and with a Sturm Ruger logo for an avatar... Swampy is the gift that keeps on givin'!

One does have to wonder why, in a market driven economy, such a superior rifle as the 700 would foster so many aftermarket parts and so many using them as the basis of customs... If they're so perfect right out of the box, I mean...

I have an old 110 that was born to donate... it was a 270, that is... and I rebarreled it to 338-06 which shot nicely. I wanted to cobble something together for my boys and picked up a factory take-off in .243 Win which they like. It does ok w/ the "blasting load" I threw together consisting of 80 gr RP-PSPs & IMR-4350:

[Linked Image]

Can't imagine doing that w/ a Remchester...

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I just bought a Savage 220 slug gun last week to replace my Remington 870. There is really no comparison as the Savage will easily put a box of Accutips in the 10 ring at 100 yds. with no trouble at all.

I used to think Savages were just too ugly and they are compared to my old Savage 99. But now I think I'll take ugly over pretty when I see how they shoot.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by inland44
WOW there is a zinger in your comment from which I will refrain since Iver never met the guy or his sister...

And yes, Swampturd has worn out his welcome, especially in the BPCR forum of the Campfire.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Swampman700
The advantage of the Remington is sublime accuracy, great looks, and perfect function.

The disadvantages of the others are less than stellar accuracy, fuglyness, poor fit and finish, and shoddy workmanship.

I have been shooting a Savage 12 single shot in 22-250 for many years. I paid $300 for it new. It has always grouped less than 1/2 inch with Hornady 60 gr spitzers. It shoots just as well today with the barrel rechambered to 22-243AI.

Last fall, I purchased my first (non-trombone) remington. It was a 700 ADL synthetic in 243 and cost a bit less than $400. Before I ever shot it, I took it to the gunsmith and spent almost another $600 on a used ADL Walnut stock, bedding, recrowning, trigger tuning, bore lapping, and rechambering to 6mm-284. The best groups it has ever delivered have still measured over 1.5 inches.

So, my limited samples of one each indicate the Savage is three times as good for 1/3 of the cost.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
LMAO - the Savage bashing is hilarious....mine has been fantastic....no plastic triggers, no safety problems, no ejector problems...and it has been able to shoot better than Remington so far...for a lot less $ that I could spend on 10-rd box mag, stock...FORD/Chevy...its like Deja-vu all over again...I now like Tikkas since theyre better overall than either of them IMO.

Last edited by tundraotto; 04/12/12.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 2five7, 47 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,443
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.