Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by logcutter
Do you have any idea how much a heart attack cost without insurance?

80-100K depending.

I met a guy living in a fifth wheel who was a general contractor and successful at it..All the sudden he had a heart attack and they took his house/business and left him with his camper because of an insurance misunderstanding and payment.

Chit happens.....And it can happen to you or the thousands before.

Jayco

God, people like you make me insane. You keep driveling about what an unplanned medical catastrophe costs, as though you are entitled to having the government shield you from the unplanned. Get insurance. If you can't, get a job that has it. Or, save your money. The government collects trash, not provide free benefits to the unprepared. You're lucky I'm not President.

Chris
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just curious, at what percentage of taxation on income would be considerd too much?

50%?

60%?

70%?

more?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bwinters
I actually got an $18 refund..............

Of course the wife and I claim 0 deductions and have an extra $150 taken out each pay. I feel rich. Not.

Last year was a $5500 check, hence the $150 extra. We paid more in taxes this year than our combined income when we first got married.

Come on November!

I agree. My wife and I both claime zero deductions, have extra taken out of our checks, and still woe money. I'd be satisfied, if I could claim myself, and come out square with the government.

I think if tax day were in November, nobody would get re-elected. mad

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The company has Deloitte prepare my taxes, this year for three countries, as they are a bit complicated. Throw in the tax equalization provided by the company which becomes imputed income and we end up with a second round of preparation of the US ones. I am always stunned at how much gets paid to the Canadian government. The Kazakh's tax code is pretty simple. If you work less than 182 days in the tax year, no tax is due. If you work 182 days or more, the tax rate is 10%, done. When the dust settles I owe or receive nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just want a number; what's the maximum % of earned income that is "just" taxation for the federal government.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the objective were maximizing tax revenus I am sure that a relatively scientific percentage could be developed. I'll wager a number somewhere in the 15% range on everybody would generate max revenue. Get way above that and I would say screw it. We can agree it isn't 0 and it isn't 100%. After that there won't be a lot of agreement.

I don't think the primary objective of taxation is revenue generation however.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
15%, there's a start. Plenty high, but a number none-the-less.

As to how the thieves buy votes with the maximum, I don't care - but there must be a limit - NOW.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I actually don't think that is high. Calculate sales tax, gas tax, property tax, payroll tax, etc, etc and I am somewhere around 40% today total. I hear what you are saying and agree completely. And they can't spend a dollar more than they take in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fed takes more than 40% of my earned income.

15% would be a step in the right direction, but at the upper end of just taxation.

Change, it's comin'.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I would guess its above 50% for me.

Some where around 20% federal income tax, add SS medicare, state tax, near 25K in property taxes. 8% sales tax, fuel taxes, Federal fees and income taxes that are part of the goods we buy. State income taxes. It would be lucky if the % was below 50% Do keep in mind that a chunk of state money goes to fund federal/state joint programs.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sent out check in last week. It really pisses me off the amount of money they take. Couple years ago I added up fed/state/medicare/SS/property taxes and it was well over 50%.

One good thing, didn't get hit with AMT.

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm somewhere between 40-50% considering State and Fed, not counting SS, medicare and state sales taxes. Throw in those and property taxes, vehicle registration, all the various fees and licenses and it is way above 50%. And then there is the cost of the CPA to prepare them. Taxes are by far the largest item in my "Cost of Living".

Everyone agrees that taxes are necessary to the running of a First World Country but it has gotten out of hand.

Other than true hardship cases I cannot understand how any reasonably healthy and intelligent individual can arrive at retirement age without enough money to live comfortably. For years now most companies have had tax deferred compensation plans. Even our small company provides those. Also available are Roth IRAs and personal IRAs.

I would wager that those who arrive at retirement depending upon SS without enough other investment income have made very poor choices over the span of their working career. Oh well, Wally World needs greeters and Costco needs food demonstrators...

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cannot understand how any reasonably healthy and intelligent individual can arrive at retirement age without enough money to live comfortably

Sure you do - same reason they struggle to live.

taxes, vehicle registration, all the various fees and licenses and it is way above 50%. And then there is the cost of the CPA to prepare them. Taxes are by far the largest item in my "Cost of Living".

Pretty obvious that when over half your income is taken, times are going to be tough.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Depends on how much income you have and how many reserve assets you have.

To supplement taxable income you can always draw down your reserve funds (funds you have already paid tax on).

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mako25
I just want a number; what's the maximum % of earned income that is "just" taxation for the federal government.

I'm not an economist, so any guess is just that...a guess. Let's say a flat tax of 15-18%. And every swinging d_ck in this nation pays it -- EVERY one.

Honestly though, it's not about the rate for me so much as it is that not everyone pays it. We have a system that pays incentives for doing nothing. EPIC FAILURE. Make it consistent across the board, do away with all loopholes as far as I'm concerned, and I'm good.

Chris
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by richardca99

I'm not an economist, so any guess is just that...a guess. Let's say a flat tax of 15-18%. And every swinging d_ck in this nation pays it -- EVERY one.

Honestly though, it's not about the rate for me so much as it is that not everyone pays it. We have a system that pays incentives for doing nothing. EPIC FAILURE. Make it consistent across the board, do away with all loopholes as far as I'm concerned, and I'm good.

Would you do away with the home interest deduction, charitable deduction, children deduction, etc.?

www.paracay.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Would you do away with the home interest deduction, charitable deduction, children deduction, etc.?

Yes.

Chris
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Yea I had to pay !And I'm discus-ted with what were all seeing At least I'm square with the world.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Yes.

What about business deductions?

www.paracay.com

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My wife and I both claim 0-married and still pay every year. I allways thought of it as my duty as a productive part of society. But I'm thinking its more of a punishment for working hard and trying to make a good liveing. The loan on our house is getting low enough that we dont pay much interest, I think 2011 will be the last year we have enough deductions to itemize. I'm sure we'll have to pay even more going EZ form.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,914
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.