Home
Posted By: FOsteology Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12
I am proud to be part of the 52% who actually pays taxes. I just cut a substantial check to subsidize the 48% who pay NOTHING!

Just paying my "fair share".
Posted By: JPro Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12
I gotta pay them tomorrow. Millions of non-payers are depending on us!
Posted By: amr7333 Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12

We pay quarterly. Actually got a little back from last year. It was applied to the first quarter and had to cut another check to cover the balance.

I keep looking for the 48% to step up and do "their share". Personally, I don't think taking entitlements constitutes "their share".
Posted By: snubbie Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12
The 48% ARE doing their part.

They are providing a hand to put something in. Where would we put all that confiscated money if we didn't have empty (idle) hands to put it in?

You're welcome.
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I am proud to be part of the 52% who actually pays taxes. I just cut a substantial check to subsidize the 48% who pay NOTHING!

Count me in........yesterday I did the deed.
Posted By: kup Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12
I don't think you "got a little back" you just payed too much in and they used your money interest free for a while.

I bet you payed way too much in, just like the rest of us in the 52%.

Posted By: 340boy Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12

Just put mine in the mail.
cry
I did my return the other day, and I will be paying an additional $5K on top of the $16K I already paid. Death and taxes -- but no real complaints -- for 41 years, I have counted on honest people paying their taxes for my salary. I don't mind paying my share, but it's when you know you're paying someone else's it hurts.
Posted By: 243WSSM Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12

The part that chaps me is the solidly wealthy people I know who make a career out of paying nothing.

We stopped using a client of Jeanne's that was doing our taxes for the last two years, he gets two different leased Mercedes (a year) that are the big guns $100K plus models, he owns two condos on Vancouver Island, it doesn't sit well with us that someone doing as well as he does pays no taxes. We make a small fraction of what he does and pay more. We get together with them two or three times a year and every time I see him he has a different AMG or 550/600 class something.

I try to tell myself it's not his fault, he's just taking advantage of loopholes that were creatively designed to help people like him pay no taxes. Loopholes that take money to take advantage of.

Last year he wanted us to pay into an investment corporation designed to create losses that could then be claimed by us as investors. We were to pay $20k to negate our $50K+ liability, we told him we weren't interested in it.
Posted By: 243WSSM Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12
Originally Posted by amr7333

We pay quarterly. Actually got a little back from last year. It was applied to the first quarter and had to cut another check to cover the balance.

I keep looking for the 48% to step up and do "their share". Personally, I don't think taking entitlements constitutes "their share".

While you are looking for the deadbeats to pay their share when they can't even pay attention, I'm looking for the wealthy to pay their share, when they have the money and will get by just fine.

Now who has the most realistic chance of getting someone to pay their share?
Sent mine away, it hurt, A LOT, and it's going to hurt, MORE, when they cash the cheque cry
Miss Lynn by your response I would guess you might be paying in Canada or a lest was educated there. Cheers NC

..........I pay quarterly,,,,but me too!

The "pay no" tax, who will be Obama supporters for the most part.
Originally Posted by northcountry
Miss Lynn by your response I would guess you might be paying in Canada or a lest was educated there. Cheers NC

Give the man a prize ! grin

That "q" gives it away, every time ! wink
Posted By: RickyD Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12
I never minded paying taxes until I began to understand how many criminals they were supporting.
Posted By: rrroae Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12
I got back about $7k and wanted to thank you all for contributing to this po' boy.
Originally Posted by RickyD
I never minded paying taxes until I began to understand how many criminals they were supporting.

H.J. Res 34 (2011) � Redistribution of Wealth Amendment to the Constitution

H.R. 3784 (2012) � Legislation to impose windfall profit taxes and price controls on specific industries, including the creation of a Reasonable Profits Boards

H.R. 1124 (2011). Legislation to impose exorbitant federal tax rates on those that government deems to earn too much
I never could understand how it is fair to penalize someone for trying harder to better themselves.

I pay quarterly and also have money withheld from my pay. I have four large checks ready to go, one for my 2011 Fed payment, one for my 2011 State payment, one for my first quarter Fed payment, and one for my first quarter State payment.

These checks total more than what most people earn in a year and do not include all the quarterly payments I made last year or the money deducted from my pay.

You may BYSA I use a CPA to get me every advantage possible only a fool wouldn't

Taxation without representation was a catalyst for something that happened about 240 years ago... now, what was that? The current system no doubt needs an overhaul.

I absolutely, positively believe know I am NOT being represented by my government. Sadly, doesn't appear to be much I can effectively do about it.

I suppose all I can ask is that those I'm supporting, please start sucking on my other teet as one nipple is sore and starting to get chaffed. crazy

One of the biggest problems is the complexity of the tax code. Our personal return is over 200 pages. I don't even pretend to understand it. I just have to trust the CPA and sign the forms and send the checks.
Posted By: Hemi Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12
I gotta pay too, but damn if their getting it before the 17th deadline. I'll wait til Tuesday to send mine in.

I usually take it to the PO and watch as they round stamp it.
Just got on Social Security this year and it gripes me to have to pay taxes on that, plus on the 401K money I take out. Understand the 401K, as no taxes were paid when it was put there but SS taxed???? TM
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Just got on Social Security this year and it gripes me to have to pay taxes on that, plus on the 401K money I take out. Understand the 401K, as no taxes were paid when it was put there but SS taxed???? TM

You don't have to take out 401k money until the year after you turn 70 and a half. Leave it in until then so it can grow tax free.
listening to the news today, apparently mr. obama only has to pay 20% of his income in taxes, while im up around 40%
i sure hope we can get the tax code reformed to a flat rate.

yeah right!
Posted By: jnyork Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12
I'm SOOO glad I got to pay through the teeth so those fatcat bureaucrats could have their lavish party in Las Vegas. What would they do without us? mad
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12
I got $900 back in state taxes about a month ago. $1,500 will be transfered Sunday to the Feds. Last year it was over $4,000. We should do a little better next year. I retired in May 2010, my wife in May 2011. We both were teachers. Because of the way we were paid we actually made more in the year we retired, but were taxed at a lower rate on the retirement income. 2012 will be the first year all of our income will be from our retirement so we should come pretty close to breaking even at the end of the year. We may be at the point where we will be better off taking the standard deduction. Our home is paid off, kids grown and we have very little to claim as deductions after this year.
Posted By: amr7333 Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/13/12
Originally Posted by 243WSSM
Originally Posted by amr7333

While you are looking for the deadbeats to pay their share when they can't even pay attention, I'm looking for the wealthy to pay their share, when they have the money and will get by just fine.

Now who has the most realistic chance of getting someone to pay their share?

Actually, I never said pay their share. I said DO their share. Now that I have thought about that statement, I realize they won't because they don't have to. The sooner we figure out how to get them off the entitlement payroll, the better off this nation will be.

You liberal whiney beotches get on the bandwagon spouting drivel about it being the rich peoples duty to pay more need to realize the rich are tired of being the only ones doing something.

Te so called "rich" pay most of the income tax.
Just got back from the PO...wanted to avoid the rush. I'm tired of taxes
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/14/12
Total obligation to the feds is now over 30% of earned income.

Not even the most crushing, tyrannical governments in history can claim that.

Posted By: Mako25 Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/14/12
T.E.A.

Taxes are not due until next Tuesday the 17th. I'll post mine Tuesday.
Posted By: byc Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/14/12
I just got the call from the tax man who asked if I wanted my refund in the form of a check, direct deposit or gift card. A gift card!??

Wonder how many people make that selection and never use it.

WTF!

Yup and when your drawing SSI,you will thank others for contributing because our Congress can't keep there fingers out of our Social Security deductions.

Jayco
I actually got an $18 refund..............

Of course the wife and I claim 0 deductions and have an extra $150 taken out each pay. I feel rich. Not.

Last year was a $5500 check, hence the $150 extra. We paid more in taxes this year than our combined income when we first got married.

Come on November!
Everyone bitches about paying into the system but does not think they could possibly have an event that would end there current career as they know it.Money flow gone and know job and what then with all the money they have payed into the system?

Are you immune to a Heart Attack or maybe Diabetes/Lung disease/Parkinsons/MS or anything that would disable you to do gainful employment at your current job?

Think Republican and work until your an 85 years old checker at the local supermarket.

Sorry..The republicans suck this term trying to rob the seniors of what they have already paid in and they spent on something else..

Jayco
Originally Posted by logcutter

Sorry..The republicans suck this term trying to rob the seniors of what they have already paid in and they spent on something else..

Jayco

[Linked Image]

The Paul Ryan plan doesn't affect anyone 55 and older.

Those in my generation and younger know that unless the current system is changed dramatically, Social Security and Medicare will NOT be there when we retire.

Furthermore, anyone who hasn't taken proactive steps throughout their life to save and prepare for their retirement or loss of employment, and is instead counting on SSI or any other governmental assistance to meet their needs is a [bleep] moron.
Furthermore, anyone who hasn't taken proactive steps throughout their life to save and prepare for their retirement or loss of employment, and is instead counting on SSI or any other governmental assistance to meet their needs is a [bleep] moron.

You are a "It can't happen to me guy" for sure....Loose your job/insurance and see how long your stash last.

Jayco
Posted By: 30338 Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/14/12
I'd opt out and responsible for anything that happens to me. If I invest $6,500 a year in investments of my own choosing, I promise you it will be more than what I am going to get back.

Seniors being robbed? How about the seniors being forced out of their houses today by ever increasing property taxes in states like Illinois? How about seniors having to pay ever larger portions of their income for heating and cooling their houses due to energy policies that are driving those prices higher? How about seniors getting screwed by higher gas prices? How about the food inflation we have all felt?

Unemployment rates in this regime are truly closer to 20% and we have 88 million Americans not working and you want to blame the Republicans. Some kind of moron.

I am not blaming the republicans,I am blaming the system....How many teenage athletes have just dropped over dead or disabled for life and some think there untouchable from being one of those....

Grow up and pay your taxes like we all did and be thankful you have a job and insurance.There are millions that don't from failing company's to unseen circumstances.

I have voted republican for most of my life but this new generation of republicans turns my stomach with the Rob the old mentality or what you have paid in,you will never see for the better of the country....

My azz....There sure not hurting getting there raises and insurance.

Both sides suck but the republicans more this time around...

Jayco
I am self employed and pay for all of my own insurance as well as a very large amount of taxes every year. Don't lecture me on responsibility as I paid my way through college and have never been unemployed for 24 years since.

Not sure what teenage athletes dropping over dead has to do with anything regarding the tax situation in this country. If you think the current communist regime is better than any alternative we are looking at, then I think you are sorely mistaken.
Do you have any idea how much a heart attack cost without insurance?

80-100K depending.

I met a guy living in a fifth wheel who was a general contractor and successful at it..All the sudden he had a heart attack and they took his house/business and left him with his camper because of an insurance misunderstanding and payment.

Chit happens.....And it can happen to you or the thousands before.

Jayco
Originally Posted by JPro
I gotta pay them tomorrow. Millions of non-payers are depending on us!

I am giving my fair share tomorrow as well. Hope the [bleep] choke on it.
I am not blaming the republicans,I am blaming the system....How many teenage athletes have just dropped over dead or disabled for life and some think there untouchable from being one of those....

Grow up and pay your taxes like we all did and be thankful you have a job and insurance.There are millions that don't from failing company's to unseen circumstances.

I have voted republican for most of my life but this new generation of republicans turns my stomach with the Rob the old mentality or what you have paid in,you will never see for the better of the country....

My azz....There sure not hurting getting there raises and insurance.

Both sides suck but the republicans more this time around...

Jayco

Well then you have a clear choice don't you ? ROTFLMFAO idiot
Wanna make a bet Obama slams Romney in the election?

Romney cannot win..Unfortunately!

Jayco
Leading cause of bankruptcy. Thinking $80,000 is short by about half on a heart attack. Again, I buy my own health insurance. It is expensive as heck, but I forgo other things in order to pay for health insurance, life insurance etc. Why is someone else making different decisions my problem?

I love the folks who go on expensive vacations, buy houses they can't afford, send their kids to colleges they can't afford, and then whine because they just can't afford to retire. Or after all those other expenses like car payments, boat payments, cable tv payments, they just can't afford health insurance.

Not going to find any sympathy here or a willingness to be taxed more to pay for their selfish behaviors.

Jayco

I don't bet. Plenty of delusional idiots will vote the wrong way again.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Jayco

Can you even make a post without name calling?????????

Jayco mad

You are a "It can't happen to me guy" for sure....Loose your job/insurance and see how long your stash last.

Jayco

Wrong. I'm a "Prepare for it" kind of guy.

As a young man, I worked for the Texas Department of Human Service for a few years. Aside from the usual deadbeats and generational welfare recipients, I assisted those that were elderly and/or disabled (SSI/RSDI).

I learned early on "vicariously" through these individuals that never really took steps to ensure some means of income (aside from governmental assistance) for their retirement, loss of employment, or medical condition.

My exposure lead me to quad-triple my efforts to better myself and family's social-economic position. My wife and I have not labored under the false illusion that government would be there to meet our needs.

My wife and I have worked our asses off to ensure our family is as well prepared and provisioned as we possibly could.

We're self employed.
No debt.
Self sufficient to a degree as we have livestock, water wells, and grow food.

In addition to our self-employment, we have managed over the years to invest wisely, and build our assets. Through our efforts we have several independent sources of revenue.

I've directed my life and efforts in the belief and knowledge that I can better meet the needs of my family than the government.

I detest paying the amount of taxes levied, and came to realization long ago that the $$ I've paid into Social Security will not be there for me nor my family. Nothing I can do as an individual to change that, so instead I've focused my efforts on what I could do.

And in summation, that was my original point. Far too many people have labored under the false impression that what they have contributed into Social Security will be there for them, and that it will or should meet their needs. Far from it.

While no one can plan and be prepared 100% for what life throws at you, it still doesn't excuse one from being totally apathetic and not putting into means and practice what they can do with what they have available to ensure a better life and future for their family.

Very well written and the kind of lesson I want my kids to see.
Definitely a Romney guy...I'm rich and your a looser just because.I will and can fire you if you disobey the almighty....Some of that was in humor..

Not everyone has had the good things happen as you have so don't try and sweep the others under the rug.I truly hope you never loose your insurance by any means,but it does happen..

Even with insurance a rare disease or procedure not covered under your policy can break the farm..It is on the news daily.

In other words...Don't count your chickens until there hatched!

Jayco
Jayco, I don't know about you, but I am thinking this Fosteology guy has somehow benefitted unfairly. Let's get together with the party and figure out a way to tax the life out him!! Then we can all be poor together.

Madeline Albright once said that it if we were all poor, it would be bad, but at least we would all be the same. That just seems fair to me. So let's vote in the communist party to insure we are all the same and as happy as Russians!!
Not everyone has had the good things happen as you have so don't try and sweep the others under the rug.

Obviously your outlook is glaringly skewed and explains your shortcomings if you believe "good things happen". You shape your own destiny and create your own luck.

Everything my wife and I have, we obtained through hard work and sacrifice.

Opportunities abound in this country. You just have to seize them and work for them. Unfortunately most born and raised in the USA for the past couple generations are LAZY and are petrified of hard work. Expect it to be given to them, or be paid for simply clocking-in and taking up space.

My wife was born and raised in the deep interior of Mexico. Her family was dirt poor. Literally. The floor of their home was DIRT.

She applied herself academically. Immigrated to this country (legally), and the two of us have worked our asses off to obtain the American Dream. No one gave us handouts.

Even with insurance a rare disease or procedure not covered under your policy can break the farm..It is on the news daily.

In other words...Don't count your chickens until there hatched!

So what am I suppose to do? Go around fretting and wringing my hands? Hope and pray the government will take care of my families medical bills?? Naw... I'll continue doing what I've been doing.

From what I gather reading between the lines, unlike you, I've prepared. Being self-employed, I have to pay my insurance premium out of pocket, and I assure you it's not cheap. But it's budgeted and prepared for long before "discretionary" expenses like entertainment, vacations, and gadgets.

And God forbid a severe medical condition/situation occurs and my insurance either doesn't cover or is canceled.... we've prepared for that too as best we can. We've prepared and set aside a future for our children as well.

And unlike you, if a catastrophic disaster were to occur to my family that wipes out all of our assets, income, belongings (unlikely, but never 100% certain), we'll survive, and still have a positive "can do" attitude without looking towards the government to provide for our needs.

My wife and I have been dirt poor before. We know the value of hard work and that there's opportunities for those that want them. We refuse to fall into that "victim" mentality.

Seems like Logcutter spent too much time cutting logs instead of trying to move up to hiring logcutters. Now he is whining and wants Mama Government to take wealth from others and give it to him.

Anyone who expected to live on SS is stupid.

I'm pretty much retired but my income is higher now than it was working full time. SS is nice and you can BYSA I would not give up the $1600.00 a month. But if I had invested that money as I have other monies I would have a lot more than $1600.00 a month.

Quit your bitchin and start your gettin.
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
Quit your bitchin and start your gettin.

Five star summation.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/15/12
Dave Ramsey, financial consultant of national acclaim, said he has been completely broke before, but never poor. Have to agree with you and him.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Jayco

Can you even make a post without name calling?????????

Jayco mad

If you vote for Obama I will include you with the delusional idiots. Quite frankly you would be dumb as a box of rocks to do so but it is a free country.................for now.

This discussion is a perfect illustration of why BHO has a very good chance of winning. The fact that some, even on a very Conservative forum, would like more largesse from the Central Government greatly distresses me.

I would not bet against the HalfBlack.
Do you have any idea how much a heart attack cost without insurance?

80-100K depending.

I met a guy living in a fifth wheel who was a general contractor and successful at it..All the sudden he had a heart attack and they took his house/business and left him with his camper because of an insurance misunderstanding and payment.

Chit happens.....And it can happen to you or the thousands before.

Jayco

God, people like you make me insane. You keep driveling about what an unplanned medical catastrophe costs, as though you are entitled to having the government shield you from the unplanned. Get insurance. If you can't, get a job that has it. Or, save your money. The government collects trash, not provide free benefits to the unprepared. You're lucky I'm not President.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/15/12
Just curious, at what percentage of taxation on income would be considerd too much?

50%?

60%?

70%?

more?
Posted By: Dess Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/15/12
Originally Posted by bwinters
I actually got an $18 refund..............

Of course the wife and I claim 0 deductions and have an extra $150 taken out each pay. I feel rich. Not.

Last year was a $5500 check, hence the $150 extra. We paid more in taxes this year than our combined income when we first got married.

Come on November!

I agree. My wife and I both claime zero deductions, have extra taken out of our checks, and still woe money. I'd be satisfied, if I could claim myself, and come out square with the government.

I think if tax day were in November, nobody would get re-elected. mad
Posted By: Tony Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/15/12
The company has Deloitte prepare my taxes, this year for three countries, as they are a bit complicated. Throw in the tax equalization provided by the company which becomes imputed income and we end up with a second round of preparation of the US ones. I am always stunned at how much gets paid to the Canadian government. The Kazakh's tax code is pretty simple. If you work less than 182 days in the tax year, no tax is due. If you work 182 days or more, the tax rate is 10%, done. When the dust settles I owe or receive nothing.
I just want a number; what's the maximum % of earned income that is "just" taxation for the federal government.
If the objective were maximizing tax revenus I am sure that a relatively scientific percentage could be developed. I'll wager a number somewhere in the 15% range on everybody would generate max revenue. Get way above that and I would say screw it. We can agree it isn't 0 and it isn't 100%. After that there won't be a lot of agreement.

I don't think the primary objective of taxation is revenue generation however.
15%, there's a start. Plenty high, but a number none-the-less.

As to how the thieves buy votes with the maximum, I don't care - but there must be a limit - NOW.
I actually don't think that is high. Calculate sales tax, gas tax, property tax, payroll tax, etc, etc and I am somewhere around 40% today total. I hear what you are saying and agree completely. And they can't spend a dollar more than they take in.

The fed takes more than 40% of my earned income.

15% would be a step in the right direction, but at the upper end of just taxation.

Change, it's comin'.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/15/12
I would guess its above 50% for me.

Some where around 20% federal income tax, add SS medicare, state tax, near 25K in property taxes. 8% sales tax, fuel taxes, Federal fees and income taxes that are part of the goods we buy. State income taxes. It would be lucky if the % was below 50% Do keep in mind that a chunk of state money goes to fund federal/state joint programs.
Posted By: Steve Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/15/12
Sent out check in last week. It really pisses me off the amount of money they take. Couple years ago I added up fed/state/medicare/SS/property taxes and it was well over 50%.

One good thing, didn't get hit with AMT.
I'm somewhere between 40-50% considering State and Fed, not counting SS, medicare and state sales taxes. Throw in those and property taxes, vehicle registration, all the various fees and licenses and it is way above 50%. And then there is the cost of the CPA to prepare them. Taxes are by far the largest item in my "Cost of Living".

Everyone agrees that taxes are necessary to the running of a First World Country but it has gotten out of hand.

Other than true hardship cases I cannot understand how any reasonably healthy and intelligent individual can arrive at retirement age without enough money to live comfortably. For years now most companies have had tax deferred compensation plans. Even our small company provides those. Also available are Roth IRAs and personal IRAs.

I would wager that those who arrive at retirement depending upon SS without enough other investment income have made very poor choices over the span of their working career. Oh well, Wally World needs greeters and Costco needs food demonstrators...

I cannot understand how any reasonably healthy and intelligent individual can arrive at retirement age without enough money to live comfortably

Sure you do - same reason they struggle to live.

taxes, vehicle registration, all the various fees and licenses and it is way above 50%. And then there is the cost of the CPA to prepare them. Taxes are by far the largest item in my "Cost of Living".

Pretty obvious that when over half your income is taken, times are going to be tough.

Depends on how much income you have and how many reserve assets you have.

To supplement taxable income you can always draw down your reserve funds (funds you have already paid tax on).
Originally Posted by Mako25
I just want a number; what's the maximum % of earned income that is "just" taxation for the federal government.

I'm not an economist, so any guess is just that...a guess. Let's say a flat tax of 15-18%. And every swinging d_ck in this nation pays it -- EVERY one.

Honestly though, it's not about the rate for me so much as it is that not everyone pays it. We have a system that pays incentives for doing nothing. EPIC FAILURE. Make it consistent across the board, do away with all loopholes as far as I'm concerned, and I'm good.
Originally Posted by richardca99

I'm not an economist, so any guess is just that...a guess. Let's say a flat tax of 15-18%. And every swinging d_ck in this nation pays it -- EVERY one.

Honestly though, it's not about the rate for me so much as it is that not everyone pays it. We have a system that pays incentives for doing nothing. EPIC FAILURE. Make it consistent across the board, do away with all loopholes as far as I'm concerned, and I'm good.

Would you do away with the home interest deduction, charitable deduction, children deduction, etc.?

Would you do away with the home interest deduction, charitable deduction, children deduction, etc.?

Yes.
Yea I had to pay !And I'm discus-ted with what were all seeing At least I'm square with the world.

Yes.

What about business deductions?
Posted By: Jamie Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/15/12
My wife and I both claim 0-married and still pay every year. I allways thought of it as my duty as a productive part of society. But I'm thinking its more of a punishment for working hard and trying to make a good liveing. The loan on our house is getting low enough that we dont pay much interest, I think 2011 will be the last year we have enough deductions to itemize. I'm sure we'll have to pay even more going EZ form.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Cutting the Check Today... - 04/15/12
Originally Posted by rrroae
I got back about $7k and wanted to thank you all for contributing to this po' boy.

Wacky tax year for me. I sold ~$20k in depreciated assets from one business to fire up another. That 20k had to be reported as income. However I had a ton to write off against it. And had a cruddy year otherwise. In the end I got a refund AND carried almost 10k over to this year to apply against 2012 machine shop earnings, so next year shouldn't be too bad either. However I'll probably get the smackdown in 2013.

Our business made a large profit in 2011. Since it is an S corp the profits flow through to the two owners, myself and my son.

We only took out enough to pay taxes and left the remainder in to grow the business. So, although we had very large taxable incomes, we don't have personal use of that money. I'm not complaining, just explaining.

Why have any deductions? That's why the flat-tax rate would be so much lower. You want to have six kids? Have at it! That doesn't mean your tax rate should be any lower than anyone else's. That was a personal decision.

I also advocate revamping capital gains and am for overall tax reform. This is where I depart from a lot of Republicans, but it's time to slay this beast called the tax code. The "don't crush the job creator" argument just isn't believable.

Why have any deductions? That's why the flat-tax rate would be so much lower. You want to have six kids? Have at it! That doesn't mean your tax rate should be any lower than anyone else's. That was a personal decision.

I also advocate revamping capital gains and am for overall tax reform. This is where I depart from a lot of Republicans, but it's time to slay this beast called the tax code. The "don't crush the job creator" argument just isn't believable.

Why have any deductions? Are you serious? You mean a business could not deduct the cost of salaries, wages, materials, advertising, rent, depreciation, employee benefits, state and local taxes, etc.?

I'm all for revising the tax code but that would put business out of business.

Actually a business pays no taxes. The "taxes" the business pays are part of the cost of doing business. Those costs are passed along to the customers. If the business cannot pass those costs along the business soon goes out of business.

Many who have never owned a business do not understand this simple fact. That is why many are of the opinion that we should raise taxes on the large evil corporations. What they do not realize that by doing so they are but raising prices the evil corporation must charge to stay in business thus causing the little people to bitch and moan about "gouging".
© 24hourcampfire