Hop To
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bullets4yogi

"I suppose you would have shot the bear"
YOU BET...I am not as brave as you (or ..?)

Maybe you should learn bear body language better. You don't have the right to shoot every bear that walks towards you.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would shoot, no doubt. I was charged by a black bear sow with cubs after a pretty lengthy standoff, with me trying to slowly back away and talk in a calm voice (calm by shaky). She kept pace with me for a while and finally got tired of screwing with me and charged. I had already had time (and forethought) to take out my bear spray, and arm it so when she charged I was ready. The spray turned her away and she gathered up her cubs and headed back up the trail where she had come from. Was she bluff charging? I'll never know because I fired the spray at approx. 30 ft and when she hit it she immediately turned back. I'm glad it worked because I emptied the can (I was a little overzealous). I was archery hunting in a unit in CO where you are not allowed to carry a firearm in archery season. I usually carry a sidearm during archery season whenever it's allowed but in this case, had I been carrying, I would certainly have fired my revolver at her (because I had plenty of time to do so). I can't tell you what the outcome would have been. I do NOT live in bear country, but I try to visit their backyards as much as I can and have had a few bear encounters in my life in CO, NM, ID, MT , WY, AK and Canada. I do not know if I would be able to make a CNS hit on a bear at full charge, and I hope I am lucky enough never to find out. All I know is that bears are VERY FAST!!! I've had a couple other close encounters when I was carrying but the bears never charged, just showed enough interest in me that is scared the hell out of me before they (or I) left the scene. They are fast and powerful creatures, but certainly not unstoppable. Most bears I see are headed the other direction, and fast. I just hope I never have to experience something like that again. One last observation, I never seem to have any problems with bear close encounters on the handful of occasions that I've actually had a bear tag in my pocket!

God Bless America!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Royce
bulletsforyogi
Morons like you have NO FRIKKIN BUSINESS in the outdoors- You are too ignorant to learn from people that know more than you do, you have no respect for the animals, and you have no inkling of your own pathetic limitations. Then you come on a public forum laced with people that have more experience, intelligence, maturity and common sense than you and attempt to impress them and others with your obnoxious behavior.
You need to stay in your own safe bac k yard and fiddle with your dibble.

Fred Royce

It's arrogant dibbles like you that give outdoorsmen a scat-like scent.

How's that saying go.. Kettle, Pot, Black, calling or somthin'

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

Maybe you should learn bear body language better. You don't have the right to shoot every bear that walks towards you.

WHEN did I say "walks towards you"...I said "charge" ...and YES I know the difference between an animal "walking" towards me and a charge...just different animals than Grizzly / Brown bears...and THAT is what my OP was about....before these DVD NatGeo Glacier Park Buwanas started to flame me to inflate further their full-of-hot-air egos and hijacked the thread.

I started with a legitimate OP and respectful question...until these MORONS with bear scat for brains got a hold of it.

Last edited by bullets4yogi; 04/23/12.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I started with a legitimate OP and respectful question...until these MORONS with bear scat for brains got a hold of it.

bullshitt. go back and read it. you made a statement based on your googled 'experience'. nothing more.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by redfoxx
I would shoot, no doubt. I was charged by a black bear sow with cubs after a pretty lengthy standoff, with me trying to slowly back away and talk in a calm voice (calm by shaky). She kept pace with me for a while and finally got tired of screwing with me and charged. I had already had time (and forethought) to take out my bear spray, and arm it so when she charged I was ready. The spray turned her away and she gathered up her cubs and headed back up the trail where she had come from. Was she bluff charging? I'll never know because I fired the spray at approx. 30 ft and when she hit it she immediately turned back. I'm glad it worked because I emptied the can (I was a little overzealous). I was archery hunting in a unit in CO where you are not allowed to carry a firearm in archery season. I usually carry a sidearm during archery season whenever it's allowed but in this case, had I been carrying, I would certainly have fired my revolver at her (because I had plenty of time to do so). I can't tell you what the outcome would have been. I do NOT live in bear country, but I try to visit their backyards as much as I can and have had a few bear encounters in my life in CO, NM, ID, MT , WY, AK and Canada. I do not know if I would be able to make a CNS hit on a bear at full charge, and I hope I am lucky enough never to find out. All I know is that bears are VERY FAST!!! I've had a couple other close encounters when I was carrying but the bears never charged, just showed enough interest in me that is scared the hell out of me before they (or I) left the scene. They are fast and powerful creatures, but certainly not unstoppable. Most bears I see are headed the other direction, and fast. I just hope I never have to experience something like that again. One last observation, I never seem to have any problems with bear close encounters on the handful of occasions that I've actually had a bear tag in my pocket!

"They are fast and powerful creatures, but certainly not unstoppable"
+1
...and if one runs toward me, I will spend my 1-5 seconds going for CNS , shoulder and hips... eek

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Cocadori
bulletsforyogi
Morons like you have NO FRIKKIN BUSINESS in the outdoors- You are too ignorant to learn from people that know more than you do, you have no respect for the animals, and you have no inkling of your own pathetic limitations. Then you come on a public forum laced with people that have more experience, intelligence, maturity and common sense than you and attempt to impress them and others with your obnoxious behavior.
You need to stay in your own safe bac k yard and fiddle with your dibble.

Fred Royce

It's arrogant dibbles like you that give outdoorsmen a scat-like scent.

How's that saying go.. Kettle, Pot, Black, calling or somthin'

...nuther 4 U, Butte Buwana...shoe fits...wear it!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

...and if one runs toward me, I will spend my 1-5 seconds going for CNS , shoulder and hips... eek

does that work for you on your 'most dangerous hunts' video game?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by toad

bullshitt. go back and read it. you made a statement based on your googled 'experience'. nothing more.

Guess your handle is not "TOAD" for no good reason?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bullets for yogi
Why the reference to the Mekong Delta? Trying to impress people? What does that have to do with this topic? If all you have to hang your hat on is something you did over 40 years ago, there isn't much to you.
And if you'd read the posts, you'd know that a lot of the people posting here know what the hell they are talking about.
If you are so damn scared of bears, why go where the bears are? Why don't you stay in your citified environment?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by toad

does that work for you on your 'most dangerous hunts' video game?

Amazing how you Billings Buwanas have so much time to flame on the PC and STILL be out dancing with bears...give the "Welcome to Glacier Park" tourist center 10 minute scary bear speech your day job requires a rest...and get out there and do some hunting.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Bullets for yogi
Why the reference to the Mekong Delta? Trying to impress people? What does that have to do with this topic? If all you have to hang your hat on is something you did over 40 years ago, there isn't much to you.
And if you'd read the posts, you'd know that a lot of the people posting here know what the hell they are talking about.
If you are so damn scared of bears, why go where the bears are? Why don't you stay in your citified environment?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some of you guys are DENSER than the brush you allegedly hunt in...my reference to "Nam was "situational awareness" or the lack of it I was being charged with by some SCAT-brain who does NOT even know me...but such is the internet and you Butte Buwanas certainly come out of the woodwork.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

WHEN did I say "walks towards you"...I said "charge" ...and YES I know the difference between an animal "walking" towards me and a charge...just different animals than Grizzly / Brown bears...and THAT is what my OP was about....before these DVD NatGeo Glacier Park Buwanas started to flame me to inflate further their full-of-hot-air egos and hijacked the thread.

The walk part was a bit of sarcasm. However, I get the impression that if a bear was bluffing, or charging for real. It doesn't matter to you. You're going to shoot it.
If the bear is pissed at you. It's probably because you did something wrong. The bear is just being a bear. Your first choice after you screwed up shouldn't be to kill it.

Now, if we're talking about a mountain lion. All bets are off. If it doesn't run away. I'm shooting.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Bullets for yogi
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"If you are so damn scared of bears, why go where the bears are? "
Generally, NO...if charged, YES...and I suppose you would not be?
LOL

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg483/16n69/2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg483/16n69/1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg483/16n69/trash.jpg[/img]

Last edited by bullets4yogi; 04/23/12.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I typed in "What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself in Grizzly Bear Country"?

The best answer:

My personal favorite defense gun has always been a Beretta Jetfire in .22 short.

I have carried it for many years including while hiking. I never leave without it in my pocket.

Of course the first rule when hiking in the wilderness is to use the "Buddy System." This it means you NEVER hike alone -- you bring a friend, companion, or family member because if something happens there is someone to go get help.

I remember one time while hiking with my girlfriend in northern Alberta out of nowhere came this huge brown bear charging us and was she mad. We must have been near one of her cubs.

Anyway, if I had not had my little Jetfire, I would not be here today. Just one shot to my girlfriend�s knee cap was all it took . . . . . the bear got her and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace.

That's one of the best pistols in my collection...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
you tell the 1/2 dozen of my friends and neighbors
that have been mauled by grizz, here in Wyoming
your line of horseschit and you will be laughed at.
Kinda like here, You Big Bad Bear Bwanna-bee.
You bowed up pretty quick and showed your azz.
And I doubt you have any personal ties to the Mekong Delta,
if you did, you wouldn't be spouting off about it,
like you are here.
I don't know nothing about G-bears as I only see 30-50 a year
of the weeny Yellowstone/Mt/Wy varity.
But I can spot a Boone and Crockett [bleep] a mile away.
Your probably right about "not knowing you" but for what I've seen so far "Big Bad Bear Bwanna-Bee"
You are a dipschit! No,you are a arrogant dipschit!
The worst kind, come back and spew your knowledge after
you have actually seen a bear.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ravenr
you tell the 1/2 dozen of my friends and neighbors
that have been mauled by grizz, here in Wyoming
your line of horseschit and you will be laughed at.
Kinda like here, You Big Bad Bear Bwanna-bee.
You bowed up pretty quick and showed your azz.
And I doubt you have any personal ties to the Mekong Delta,
if you did, you wouldn't be spouting off about it,
like you are here.
I don't know nothing about G-bears as I only see 30-50 a year
of the weeny Yellowstone/Mt/Wy varity.
But I can spot a Boone and Crockett [bleep] a mile away.
Your probably right about "not knowing you" but for what I've seen so far "Big Bad Bear Bwanna-Bee"
You are a dipschit! No,you are a arrogant dipschit!
The worst kind, come back and spew your knowledge after
you have actually seen a bear.

I am getting quite used to...and somewhat amused at you A-hole big white hunter types that interact with 10,000 bears a year...and know-it-all.
Keep it up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are you attempting to accomplish in this "argument" other than looking like a total jackass?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Bullets4yogi sure seems like a smart guy.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Bullets4yogi sure seems like a smart guy.

Travis

With the nick name he took. Nobody will forget this thread.

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 990 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.