Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
A friend of mine hit an armadillo at 120 km/hr on a motorbike. He healed but still has scars all over his face.

What thell was the armadillo doing on a motorbike in the first place?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I was hiking in the lower mountains (8000ft) in the beginning of the rut. I didn't have a deer tag, or even a gun. I was just enjoying a hike.

Not hunting I was moving faster then my normal still hunting snail pace. I noticed up ahead of me a good looking mature buck about 100yds away. He had 5 does with him, and they were all staring at me.

Just for the hell of it I started to move towards him at a very slow pace with as little movement as possible. I got to 75 yds and stopped and stood still for a few minutes. I then repeated it to 50 yds. Baffled and nothing to lose I moved to 25 yds. Then 15 yds and stood still what seemed forever. All this time the buck and 5 does were frozen staring at me.

I've never see this before, and wasn't quite sure what to do. I thought it might be foolish to get closer, so I just froze there. After a few more minutes the buck slowly turned it's head away and walked off. The does did the same.

Anybody ever experience anything like this? I did have a breeze in my face, but still. They must have known I was danger.

You must have not been wearing blue jeans, works every time. grin

Last edited by Whelenman; 04/28/12.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw something yesterday that I hadn't seen before....a tom in full strutt right in the middle of the street pacing back and forth looking at his reflection in the highly polished quarter panel of a brand new Mercedes SUV all the while pecking the hell out of the SUV thinking it was a rival tom. They'll wonder what the hell happened to their paint job.....and never guess.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
dead body of a guy hit by a car way out on a country road.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of stuff -

While duck hunting I've several times have had 7 to 12 elk wade past my decoys in the San Luis Valley.

On low saddles or cols on ridges that are natural game passages I've found arrowheads from prehistoric hunters while hunting. Done that a couple times too. That's always cool.

If I dig through some photos I can prolly show you some cool finds instead of just type about it. Stay tuned.

Still hoping to come across a Spanish suit of armor complete with skeleton inside.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I was hiking in the lower mountains (8000ft) in the beginning of the rut. I didn't have a deer tag, or even a gun. I was just enjoying a hike.

Not hunting I was moving faster then my normal still hunting snail pace. I noticed up ahead of me a good looking mature buck about 100yds away. He had 5 does with him, and they were all staring at me.

Just for the hell of it I started to move towards him at a very slow pace with as little movement as possible. I got to 75 yds and stopped and stood still for a few minutes. I then repeated it to 50 yds. Baffled and nothing to lose I moved to 25 yds. Then 15 yds and stood still what seemed forever. All this time the buck and 5 does were frozen staring at me.

I've never see this before, and wasn't quite sure what to do. I thought it might be foolish to get closer, so I just froze there. After a few more minutes the buck slowly turned it's head away and walked off. The does did the same.

Anybody ever experience anything like this? I did have a breeze in my face, but still. They must have known I was danger.

You must have not been wearing blue jeans, works every time. grin

See, I told you they can see blue. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
My dad and some of his friends were archery hunting in PA many
years ago and did a small silent drive through a patch of woods. At the end of the drive they all met up in a field
on the other side of the woods. As they all stould there
talking two small black bear cubs walked by them, no hurry
at all, like they werent even there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Still hoping to come across a Spanish suit of armor complete with skeleton inside.

This is from your neck of the woods. Its on a rock inside the La Garita wilderness.

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
While on a bear hunt in Sask., CA. well off the road, on a small river, was in a tree stand with a S. Sharps 50-70, a buddie was in another stand, to film my hunt, 40 mins before dark comeing down the river to us, we heard a Roaring, I swear, it was an African lION, IT GOT CLOSED AND CLOSER! just out of sight, it stoped, at almost full dark, my buddie said "F" this let get out of here! I agreed, we had 200yrds. to the 4wheeler and 5 mile ride out, we split, was a bait getting hit hard by the bears , but we never saw anything, in 5 hrs.. there! The local guides said they never heard anything , like we decribed! I hunted another spot, and no one else want to go back there!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Alamosa,

I was climbing a 14er down in the San Juans, and was about 100 feet from the top. I was kinda bent over, 'cause you know there is a little more O2 down there, and noticed some non-locale stone at my feet. Picked it up and carried it to the top, cleaned the mud off and saw right away that it was a bird point arrowhead. My thought is that it was someone after some eagle feathers, when there weren't no rules about stuff like that.

John

IC B3

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
A coyote turd that sure looked like it had land and groove inprint.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Riverhawk
...a tom in full strutt right in the middle of the street pacing back and forth looking at his reflection in the highly polished quarter panel of a brand new Mercedes SUV

And all we keep hearing about out here is how smart and wily your eastern turkeys are compared to our Merriams....
I hope that one didnt get to pass his genes on.... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
gmg Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I had my marlin 336 shoot a decent group.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And all we keep hearing about out here is how smart and wily your eastern turkeys are compared to our Merriams....
I hope that one didnt get to pass his genes on....

Anybody that thinks a turkey is smart, has never raised them. Hard to hunt, yes, but not smart. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gmg

That is strange. laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Not as if it was a ruger, though.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Setting in a stand a few years ago, with a squirrel on the ground behind me, to my left.. Watched a rabbit come out of a thicket from in front of me, and circle around to my left. I heard a strange growling sound, so I looked, and saw the squirrel jump on the rabbit. They were just a gray moving ball, with hair and fur flying, and some strange growls and squeals, for a few seconds, then the squirrel took off, he had had enough. Squirrel ran up a tree and the show was over.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Was up a tree bowhunting at nearby WMA and about 20 yards to my left a big red tailed hawk landed in a pine tree.

We both sat there fairly close by each other and watched a gray squirrel about 45 yrds in front of us in really open terrain on the ground.

I guess the hawk wasn't hungry because he never made any attempt to swoop down and snatch him up!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by gmg

That is strange. laugh laugh

Originally Posted by eyeball
Not as if it was a ruger, though.

Hey, hey... sounds like U R a savage guy???? grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton
I hope that one didnt get to pass his genes on....

Anybody that thinks a turkey is smart, has never raised them. Hard to hunt, yes, but not smart. miles

+1

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,478
Posts18,508,711
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.