Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
We are coming back to Alaska this summer, and need a little feedback about boots.
Last time I brought my Big Boy Burleys and while they work well, I don't think they are as suited for boat use as the Xtratuf boots.
There is a local sporting goods store near me that has USA made blems for a great price. I was thinking about boots for me and my wife. Should I get the insulated ones? Or are the uninsulated with good wool socks the way to go in July?

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Uninsulated......

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
+1 on the uninsulated

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was at Sweeny's the other day and the guy there explained to me that the boots that they were making in China now were better quality that the boots that they made in the USA.

He showed me where the uppers were put together using better techniques and the soles were put together using glues that they couldn't use in the US. Also, the Chinese made boots don't come with the sticky gook on the outside of the boot.

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I, too, was at Sweeney's to get a new set of LaCrosse ankle fits. Better or not it still pisses me off to see they are built in China. Need to bring back the old Red Ball's and make 'em here in the good 'ol U.S.A.

It's not the destination...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Non insulated, and get the felt insole.

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always preferred, and bought, the insulated version.

Brian

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like the uninsulated Xtra-Tuffs, with a pair of merino wool socks. I need to new ones this year, as well. I've had my older pair for 9 or 10 seasons now, and they are finally giving up on me. They are cracking at the ankles.

The newer pair of XT's are a huge disappointment, though. I bought them in 2008, and they gave up after only three seasons.

While I hope my next pair of XT's are more like my first pair, I doubt I'll ever own another pair of Muck boots, though. The toe cracked on one of the boots at about six months, and they have progressively fallen apart ever since. They have been water tight up to this season, even though they looked like crap, but I got wet feet at the boat ramp last weekend. They're toast.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like uninsulated with wool socks.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
another vote for UNinsulated...and definitely another vote for the insoles....

I wear them pretty much daily...in fact, I've even been known to hunt goats in them...though I may or may not recommend that...especially when you have run out of Aquaseal and have to use duct tape to try and plug holes... smile

[Linked Image]

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife likes the insulated but I go for the uninsulated with wool socks. And as someone else said, the wool insoles are great.

Deal with it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My moose hunting boots are X-tra Tuffs & I wear 'em everyday for 3 weeks of our season and are uninsulated. I get 'em so there is a snug fit while wearing 2 pair of socks, 1 light and one heavy. In addition, I strongly advise you put a felt pad in the bottom of the boot and then an arch support.
Doing this will allow you to wear them all day with a lot less discomfort.
When buying them, try them on with the socks you're gonna wear AND a felt inner sole AND an arch support. There should be a snug fit with little movement of your foot. Get 2 sets of felt inner soles and take the used one out at night to dry out.
X-tra Tuffs are great for what we do. Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Uninsulated XT's. Spenco insole.

Mucks if you want insulation.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
uninsulated for me other wise my feet are on fire.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
I like the uninsulated Xtra-Tuffs, with a pair of merino wool socks. I need to new ones this year, as well. I've had my older pair for 9 or 10 seasons now, and they are finally giving up on me. They are cracking at the ankles.

The newer pair of XT's are a huge disappointment, though. I bought them in 2008, and they gave up after only three seasons.

While I hope my next pair of XT's are more like my first pair, I doubt I'll ever own another pair of Muck boots, though. The toe cracked on one of the boots at about six months, and they have progressively fallen apart ever since. They have been water tight up to this season, even though they looked like crap, but I got wet feet at the boat ramp last weekend. They're toast.

Dan, what size do you wear? I might be able to find some here, maybe these would last you longer.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Another vote for uninsulated. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
+1 on uninsulated and wool socks and insoles.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Another vote for uninsulated. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Noice! Bloody decks make me hotter than insulated Xtratuffs...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Someone else makes rubber boots? Uninsulated for me too. Bought my latest pair (Blems) from Sweeneys 7 or 10 years ago for $50.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I'm the odd man out here, but I like the insulated ones. But then again, I have bad circulation in my hands and feet so I need all the help I can get.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (44mc, 808outdoors, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 308ld, 10 invisible), 1,241 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.