Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have been doing some reading in order to buy my first rifle. But I want to buy so that I can expand my collection without buying rifles that will duplicate each others purpose.

The 3 calibers that make the most sense to me is
.264 Shooting 140grain
.284 Shooting 160grain
.338 Shooting 200/225/250grain as needed

They are all calibers that have a wide variety of bullet weights in factory loaded ammunition.

They have the highest sectional density available in factory loaded ammunition.

After some consideration I think I have narrowed my choices to
1) .264/6.5mm such as 6.5x55 SE, .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor. in a 22" barrel rifle of about 7 pound.

2) 7mm Rem Mag for the longer work

3) .338 win mag for the really big stuff. (.338RCM if the win mag kicks too hard)

I don't see how that does not cover the whole spectrum of hunting worldwide. For everything other than Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo etc. But I don't plan on hunting that. If I was, I would add a .375 and .458 to the list.

I know you can get heavy for .270 and .308(the whole family) bullets. But then you have to hand load. And even then there are still bullets available with higher sectional densities in the above mentioned three calibers.

So why the massive popularity of .270 and .308(the whole family) calibers?

Oh yes... I have not taken varminting into account. That is another topic on its own I think...

Last edited by Andre123; 05/23/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JMHO... but to answer the question of the massive popularity.

They will work on just about any game animal in the US, been around a long time, ammo readily available, etc.

Back when a man could only afford one or two guns, he had to get one that would 'do it all'. The 270, 308, 30-30, 30-06, could and still do 'do it all'.

Just a note... What caliber of gun is credited with the most elephant kills. Answer: .308 Poachers use them, because they are readily available, worldwide.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Elephant poachers use AK-47... so yes I hear your point.

But if I was going to buy only one rifle I would go with the .264

The sectional density of .264 bullet is
160 - .328
140 - .287
130 - .266

Which makes it a very capable caliber. Capable of taking anything in America (though I wouldn't use it on big bears)

Basically you just have to decide what case you want to put behind that bullet.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
To get a .287 SD on a .308 bullet yo would have to go to a 220gr bullet...

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I read your list over and over but still dont see 30-06 in there anywhere..Ill try again..

seriously though, I think those are interesting choices for a first rifle and that you should get a 30-06

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Andre123
I have been doing some reading in order to buy my first rifle. But I want to buy so that I can expand my collection without buying rifles that will duplicate each others purpose.

The 3 calibers that make the most sense to me is
.264 Shooting 140grain (or even 160grain for moose and elk)
.284 Shooting 160grain
.338 Shooting 200/225/250grain as needed

They are all calibers that have a wide variety of bullet weights in factory loaded ammunition.

They have the highest sectional density available in factory loaded ammunition.

After some consideration I think I have narrowed my choices to
1) .264/6.5mm such as 6.5x55 SE, .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor. in a 22" barrel rifle of about 7 pound.

2) 7mm Rem Mag for the longer work

3) .338 win mag for the really big stuff. (.338RCM if the win mag kicks too hard)

I don't see how that does not cover the whole spectrum of hunting worldwide. For everything other than Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo etc. But I don't plan on hunting that. If I was, I would add a .375 and .458 to the list.

I know you can get heavy for .270 and .308(the whole family) bullets. But then you have to hand load. And even then there are still bullets available with higher sectional densities in the above mentioned three calibers.

So why the massive popularity of .270 and .308(the whole family) calibers?

Oh yes... I have not taken varminting into account. That is another topic on its own I think...

If you want one rifle to cover all the hunting you listed then just get a 30-06.....I know its boring but it will get the job done....been there done that...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Surely we should choose our cartridges without taking into account availability. The choice should surely be made on the merit of the cartridge. That way we can move on to new. Technically superior cartridges.

I am pretty sure that there are a lot of people that have seen that the .264 has lots of potential, but said "Well its not a popular enough round".

If they all went for it, it would become a popular and readily available round...

Same goes for .284. Either .284 or .264 paper looks better than a .270 ... and I am sure that a .284 with a 160gr bullet can do everything that a .308 can do with a 180gr or even 200gr..

Last edited by Andre123; 05/23/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome, Andre, YOU post,

"I have been doing some reading in order to buy my first rifle."

...yet are pontificating about "SDs'.

HMMMmmmm.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And lots of folks today shoot a light-for-caliber bullet, like a TSX or TTSX, that is tough, and they still get good expansion, and penetration.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
@crossfireloops

Well here in South Africa getting a rifle is a big deal "Legally". So doing your research is very important.

You have to get a licence for each firearm you own. And for each licence your home has to be inspected. And so does your safe... Its a real hassle... So reading around as much as I can and ended up thinking that the deciding factor when choosing a caliber should be sectional density.

Which is where my post springs from...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In your situation, I would start with one of the 6.5mm cartridges you listed. You might find you don't really need anything else for North America (with the right bullet) unless you go after large bear (grizzly/brown bear) or bison.

In fact, if you get one of the 6.5mm chamberings you are considering, you might very well find out you don't "need" a 7mm for long(er) range. Wouldn't preclude you from adding other rifles, but a 6.5mm might fill all of your needs.

I've thought about the same topic and came to the conclusion that three centerfire rifles would cover everything in North America with the minimum overlap:
1. a .260 Rem or 6.5x55 for everything up to elk (perhaps including elk depending on your comfort level),
2. a .308, .30-06, .338-06, .35 Whelen, or 9.3x62 for anything larger in North America and for plains game in Africa, and
3. a .223 for varmints (might get an AR-15 in 5.56 NATO for a couple purposes).

Edit to add: After I wrote my original post, I saw your post about living in South Africa and the situation there. My advice would be to decide what you would be hunting to start with and match your first rifle to that. I realize adding guns to your collection is difficult there, but you probably want to get a rimfire rifle chambered in .22 LR for practice (it's nice to get one that is somewhat similar to your primary centerfire rifle). I've read that hunting herd animals is a little different in that tracking a blood trail can be more difficult for herd animals (like many African antelopes) than for animals who are solitary or live in small groups (typical of most North American game). In that case, you might consider a .308 Win as a do-everything short of dangerous game.

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 05/23/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Surely we should choose our cartridges without taking into account availability. The choice should surely be made on the merit of the cartridge. That way we can move on to new. Technically superior cartridges.

I am pretty sure that there are a lot of people that have seen that the .264 has lots of potential, but said "Well its not a popular enough round".

If they all went for it, it would become a popular and readily available round...

Same goes for .284. Either .284 or .264 paper looks better than a .270 ... and I am sure that a .284 with a 160gr bullet can do everything that a .308 can do with a 180gr or even 200gr..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup,...."First rifle" my azz

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again JMO.... but, what you buy, should be depending on what and where you hunt.

Deer hunting in the plains is a lot different than deer hunting in the forest of the south. Same gun will work either place, but maybe a 30-30 wouldnt be my first choice, for plains hunting. Take a look at my avatar... 30-30 laying on the seat and it is great for hunting where a 100 yd shot is a long one.

Gonna hunt grizzly bear? Antelope? Moose? Elk? Black Bear? If your gonna get just one rifle, make sure you get enough rifle. Better to have a little extra, than not enough.

I just saw where you were in S. Africa, also. I'm not familiar with any of the animals that are hunted over there, so anything I have said, pertains to hunting here in the US.

Last edited by Oldmanms2003; 05/23/12.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Andre

I am glad that you posted that you were from South Africa. I think most people have and were going to answer you base on North American hunting. I have no experience on animals in Africa. One thing to keep in mind is what animals you plan on shooting, but I am sure that you have thought about that. What ammo is available where you are at is another important thing. Good luck with what you get.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
The other reason that in South Africa one must really do your research is that you are only allowed 4 firearms. Of which no more than one may be for self defense. So if you want a handgun of some sort, that only leaves 3 rifles. And selling a second hand rifle in South Africa is not easy. The law changed a couple of years back resulting in people owning more than 4 firearms being forced to sell some of their firearms. And it is still a ongoing thing. Some people say that they will not give up their firearms... We will see what happens...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

"Well here in South Africa" [quote=Andre123]"Surely we should choose our cartridges without taking into account availability."

I am having a difficult time reconciling your statements. A rifle is no good without ammunition and if you really live in RSA you certainly know this. You are BSing us.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
308 makes sense, flip a coin a get the 30.06. Section Density is great but I'm concerned about killing game. 30 caliber has a great selection of bullets that let you specialize for the game you want or long range shooting. It is also widely available and is very common at a reasonable price. A 30 caliber hole in something tends to bleed well and die quickly from the animals I have taken with it. I can't ever see myself without one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
@crossfireloops

Well here in South Africa getting a rifle is a big deal "Legally". So doing your research is very important.

You have to get a licence for each firearm you own. And for each licence your home has to be inspected. And so does your safe... Its a real hassle... So reading around as much as I can and ended up thinking that the deciding factor when choosing a caliber should be sectional density.

Which is where my post springs from...

Well, I did not KNOW you were talking about S. Africa, and was going on the 'everything but the big bears' theme, it sounded like a N. American's post.

Compliments on the studious approach, and best of luck in getting well armed, and KEEPING them.

Don't neglect (or be shy of) the opportunity to run your questions and questings past our very own Campfire Treasure, Ken Howell,....He WILL help you out.

GTC

GTC

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Well if from s.a. i guess your post makes a little more sense..kind of..?

You probably should have stated that before you questioned the 270 and 308 tho.

Folks here are probably still recovering..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 280Ackleyrized, 29aholic, 59 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,270
Posts18,504,984
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.