Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I'm trying to be cheap here and use my Weber Gas grill for low/slow smoking. Can I put some pizza stones or some other diffuser directly over the tents on the burners, and a pan of wet wood on top of that? I'd put my actually grill inserts on top and target the 225-250 temps. Would the diffusers prevent hot spots well enough to make this happen? Indirect cooking of larger cuts doesn't really work on this grill as the burners run left to right instead of front to back.

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They make some smoker boxes for gas grills that seem to work. They are covered and keep the grease from mixing with the wood.

I've had a weber genesis for 20 years or better. It's really not made to do what you're asking of it. I have an old Brinkman smoker that I smoke in. Try the pizza stones or find some old bricks...you'll just have to try it.

Not sure how big you're cooking, but I've had good luck with the two outside burners on med or low and the center burner off for low and slow with no flares.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I only had a gas grill I would use heavy duty foil folded twice and shaped loosely like a box for my wood chips.

For your larger cuts have you tried a roasting rack and pan? It will prevent hot spots and catch your grease. Also makes it a lot easier to wrap in foil for meat to rest or to stick in the oven to finish.

You can use a pizza stone but they get kind of nasty if you just let the drippings run all over them.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Soak your wood chips, then roll them up in foil. You will want to make it tube shaped and leave the ends slighty open. Put that below your grates on top of the tents about your burner. You will need to use indirect heat and keep that burner hot enough to keep the smoke coming.

While not as good as a real smoker, it works in a pinch.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Ribs in racks on old cookie sheet. Wood chips in foil with holes poked in it with a toothpick. The wood chips are over the only burner lit. Cooked the ribs @ 225�F

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Youre probably finished cooking by now, but you can use firebrick. TSC usually has it. A whole lot cheaper than the fancy ceramic stones. Also, I have used landscape bricks from lowes as well. I use them on my weber gas and primo ceramic cooker.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 49 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,578
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.