Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Going on a cow elk hunt during 1st season, wondering if size is the best indicator of age in the field? Any other methods? Prefer a younger cow than an old toughy

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting question.
Never had a cow elk to tuff to eat.

Most will pick out a bigger one to have more meat.

Your still going to want to get the 1/4-ers hanging as soon as you can. And hang the meat for about a week makes for some good eating!

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you see a herd strung out and moving, don't shoot the 1st one. She's lead cow and she got the job by being the meanest, raunchiest old bitch in the herd. There's no guarantee that she'll be tough or that any other one will be better, but you'd do well to play the odds.

Some years ago, I shot a really big cow. I had it at a processor's and by his scale, the quarters totalled 330lb., skinned. That's one huge cow. She was pretty good eating, too. In fact, my partner shot a running calf a few days later and it turned out to be tougher than this cow. It was pretty stressed, though, after being chased by some other hunters.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife shot a lead cow a few years ago. A biologist buddy aged her at 8-9 years old based on her teeth. She was a big old girl and was good to eat.

I'd shoot the biggest one you see.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by brymoore
I'd shoot the biggest one you see.

best advise on cows- period

-if she looks healthy-make a clean kill shot - the more meat the better!

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Last year on my brothers cow hunt, there was one bitch and dwarfed the others. When she would walk, her muscles clearly flexed like she was on elkroids and hitting the gym... I was going to have him shoot her, but another, smaller one cleared first and I tend to not look a gift horse in the mouth and had him put the TTSX through the shoulder of that one. She was medium sized. Not huge, not tiny but damn was she delicious!

In fact, Im taking Elk spaghetti to work today!

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
We have had several elk aged by biologists at check stations...One I remember especially..I had a big cow from a Nov. hunt..when the Game and Fish aged her they said she was at least 8 years old..I ask if there was a more accurate way to tell the age, they said yes, but we have to slit the jaw to get to the very back teeth...do you mind..Heck no..they found this old girl was 20 plus years old..she was as good an elk as we have ever eaten, and we have been at it for more than 40 years...

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great photo! That's a couple of happy hunters!

20 year old elk? Wow - I didn't know they could live that long.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I wack a cow each year in addition to my bull.
And try and shoot a young cow,
the method that has worked for me is
don't shoot the large sized (grandma cows) and don't shoot the small sized (young of the year)Pick out a middle sized.
A little less meat but a 2yr old cow will
always melt in your mouth.
you'll know you've done it right when the ivories are still hollow, like a spike bull.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
So my opening question was based on previous info I was told. This will be my first elk hunt as an adult and if you all are saying any age cow is good eating then I trust you guys. Any one ever have a tough or "not so good" elk? And also is there any legal elk that you would avoid taking? Why?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never been one to pass up a "legal elk". Oh I've shot my fair share of cows, spikes and raghorns along with some mighty nice mature bulls but passing on any elk hoping for a better one usually meant an unpunched tag for me. JMO

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If its your first elk hunt, shoot the first cow you see

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I do plan on taking the first cow I see. The question is more so geared towards a situation where several elk would be present. If there was any method to selecting a good cow other than taking the first elk that presented a good shot opportunity. I have always heard/read that younger animals tend to be more tender, didn't know if there was any truth to that or not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If there are several, take a larger/closer/ best-shot cow.

If you have ever seen a herd of elk turn inside-out and vanish with out a shot. You would understand there are ways to over think this.
Something standing broadside in the open would look even better quartered with a tag!

It's my bet that your going to have a lot of fun, tag your cow, and remember the hunt at every meal. Words like 'fantastic' will come to mind!

Track-soup is a choice many hunters made for themselves.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd buy Eillen Clarke's Slice of the Wild to understand how to handle your elk once it is down. Proper care of elk meat is more important than which elk you shoot.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by jcrain1970
I do plan on taking the first cow I see. The question is more so geared towards a situation where several elk would be present. If there was any method to selecting a good cow other than taking the first elk that presented a good shot opportunity. I have always heard/read that younger animals tend to be more tender, didn't know if there was any truth to that or not.

In any cow hunt, the best cow is the one that
A. Falls closest to the road.
B. Gives you the first/best shot.

Simply put, dont over think it. If a cow gives you a good shot, kill her. Dont sit there and try to pick out the best tenderloins, kill one and then enjoy the tenderloins.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I have a pretty good grasp on caring for meat once harvested. Thanks for the advice, can't wait till the season begins only 4 more months. I will be going to scout this coming week, new area to me so it should be an adventure.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
October cow hunts are a TON of fun. My little brother had one last year and on October 8th he brought home his cow, and I brought home a fiance.... Whom I asked to marry me 40 yards from said elk laugh

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have shot the 1st cow, the last cow and cows in between.Can't say I could distinguish the difference,but if I can,I'll pick a smaller one.I am the only one here that eats it so a medium sized 1 yr old cow will last me a year.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you are close to a road, shoot the biggest one. If you are far from a road, shoot the smallest one wink

If I have my choice, I like shooting the youngest ones I can find. Meat does tend to be less gamey, and like Saddle, I'm the only one eating it so getting back 100-150lbs of meat vs 300lbs of meat, means less to give away and less to possibly go bad. Just think, a big old fat cow might process out at 300 (or more)...if it is just you or you and 1 person, that is nearly a pound of elk meat, every day, for a year lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,817
Posts18,477,689
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.