Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I guess that is the difference in our interpretation of' blows them away" IMHO that is exactly what S&B does

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Speaking of what you've done, just how were these tests done that proved S&B blew everything else away ? For instance, what kind of controled lighting conditions were used ? How were the scopes adjusted ? E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

I guess that is the difference in our interpretation of' blows them away" IMHO that is exactly what S&B does

A little bit is alot, when its the only shot you got.
Zeiss and Swaro are just divisions of much bigger companies.
S&B only makes one product.
Rifle scopes.
I tend to think they do a better job of it, than just about anyone.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Eremicus not guessing would "blow me away"...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
....that just ain't possible with any high end glass over another.

You and E should "hook up"

dave

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
The optics testing folks at Outdoor Life Magazine ran comparison tests of Rifle scopes in their June/July 2,012 issue and the results really IMPRESSED me!
The testers picked the Leupold VX-2 3x9x40mm Riflescope over such expensive and renowned brands/models as the Zeiss Duralyt 2x8x42mm, the Swarovski Z6i 1x6x24mm, the Leica ER 3.5x14x42mm, the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 3x9x50mm, the Weaver Kaspa 3x12x50mm, the Steiner Predator Xtreme 2.5x10x42mm and the Oculus 4x16x44mm!
Thats right the Leupold costing $300.00 outperformed and outscored the Swarovski at $2,400.00, the Leica at $1,600.00, the Zeiss at $1,000.00, the Steiner costing $800.00 along with the other three brands that cost slightly less than the Leupold!
The article comparing and scoring the Riflescopes runs on pages 44, 45 and 54! The explanation of how the staff compared and scored the Riflescopes is on page 52 of the June/July 2,012 issue of Outdoor Life Magazine.
One short excerpt/quote from the description of the Leupold VX-2 by the Outdoor Life Magazine staff: "This VX-2 is a pure Hunting scope - light, bright and simple. The VX-2 is balanced, features a clean duplex reticle and finger friendly turret controls, and is configured for most big-game Hunting applications. It is one of the great bargains of this or any other age"!
Now Leupold "naysayers" from under every rock may come out and decry this test and they may cry foul in 100 various ways but the fact remains this fine, reliable and great looking scope is an excellent optic and is made by an American company!
And seeing how the Leupold was compared to foreign made scopes costing FIVE times more money, EIGHT times more money, THREE AND A THIRD times more money and another costing TWO AND TWO THIRDS times more money then Leupold naysayers had better take notice and make up some more "whoppers" to try and combat this test!
In fact the Leupold VX-2 won the Outdoor Lifes Editor's Choice Award in the Riflescope section.
Of ALL the categories scored for all the scopes only two individual categories had scores that bested the Leupold (and in these instances only slightly outscored).
Maybe the Leupold naysayers should get a copy of the June/July 2,012 issue of Outdoor Life Magazine and review the results and how the scopes were compared and in what categories?
I have LONG been an advocate of the Leupold line of Riflescopes and they have served me exceptionally well for 50+ years now, and, I have always espoused how the money spent on a Leupold is money well invested - this article just adds more creedence to my contentions.
I have NEVER said that Leupold Rifles scopes are the best ever made - they may or may not be but they certainly are MUCH better than many Leupold naysayers and rumor mongers give them credit for.
Long live Leupold & Stevens an AMERICAN Company!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

varmint gal and outdoor life says loopie is the only scope you'll ever need. smirk

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
dave7mm,

You should know by now = Schmidt & Bender sucks!!

I only own 6..............................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, but you could have bought 37 Leupold's for that silly man...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just what I want 37 Leupolds....................NOT!!!!

LOL!!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dave7mm
S&B is first rate stuff no doubt.

Your wrong about alot of things.
But your right about S&B.

dave

Like what? Some of the things you post are as laughable as E's.

You gonna give examples or were you just talking out your azz again?

Still waitin' dave7mm, still talkin' out your azz ?

Last edited by JGRaider; 06/22/12.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Eremicus not guessing would "blow me away"...

I hunt in "real" light, not controled light therefore I test in real light looking into the tree shadows at 487 yards. We go from one scope to the other and weed them out as they falter. I was very surprised to see how quickly the US Optics scope fell out in the low light test. Resolution is excellent with this scope and it holds its own with the best of them in good light

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have alot more faith in Mule Deer's tests because he tests under controled conditions and makes sure all scopes are carefully adjusted for accurate, repeatable results.
What he has learned is that there aren't many scopes that test at his highest level, but some of them are made by Leupold. The latest VX6, for instance, resolves just as well under low light conditions as the best from S&B, or Leica.
The other thing is that there really is very little difference between fully multicoated, name brand rifle scopes. E

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Testing the way MD does makes sense for testing different scopes at different time. When one can stack the scopes and test them together nothing best "real" world lighting and that is why I believe my eyes and my tests, not someone eles's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too think that MD's test is valid from a repeatability standpoint, but I'm not so sure what his night time test is supposed to reveal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I believe to replicate the exact same lighting conditions every time he tests something, and to take atmospheric conditions such as heat waves, dust, haze, etc out of the equation. Makes sense to me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I hunt in "real" light, not controled light therefore I test in real light looking into the tree shadows at 487 yards. We go from one scope to the other and weed them out as they falter.

jwp
Let me know when you figure out how to hang a eye test chart on the side of a live hog for some twilight testing ok?

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Just what I want 37 Leupolds....................NOT!!!!

LOL!!!

Man, I still have over 20 loopies.
I feel bad. frown

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The latest VX6, for instance, resolves just as well under low light conditions as the best from S&B, or Leica.
The other thing is that there really is very little difference between fully multicoated, name brand rifle scopes.

My hands on testing did not bear this out. There is indeed a difference, and if one actually takes time to compare scopes stacked or side-by-side, it's readily apparent.

I tested the VX-6 against Zeiss Conquest, Zeiss Diavari, Swarovski Z3, and S&B Classic.

To both my eyes, and my 16 year old son's eyes, the Diavari and S&B Classic had better resolution, color rendition, and a brighter image. And the difference was readily apparent.

The VX-6 easily edged out the Conquest.

The VX-6 and Swaro Z3 appeared to be an optical tie. My son and I spent most of our time testing and comparing these two scopes (since these two were the closets optically). Half the time they were stacked on a tripod. The remainder they were mounted on rifles and placed side-by-side in cradles on a bench rest.

Well into the 30 minutes after legal sunset was when we could discern an optical difference between these two scopes. The Swaro Z3 edged out the VX-6 in brightness and resolution.

Eremicus,

Should your travels ever bring you to South Central Texas, you have an open invitation.

I have a multitude of scopes (Leupold through high end S&B Zenith) in which we can test and compare side-by-side and/or stacked to your hearts desire in various conditions (off the porch, in the woods, or in the canyons and hills).

I'm confident that once you have an opportunity to actually observe and handle various scopes first hand, and compare and test them at the same time in various conditions and light, you'll come away admitting there IS a difference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe I should have been more specific. His test is in black and white and uses artificial light. The resolution part makes sense to me and I realize the he recognises that people see things differently (color). I am not trying to be a wise arse. I just don't understand what the night test is supposed to do for individuals that are shopping for a new scope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunt in "real" light, not controled light therefore I test in real light looking into the tree shadows at 487 yards. We go from one scope to the other and weed them out as they falter. I was very surprised to see how quickly the US Optics scope fell out in the low light test. Resolution is excellent with this scope and it holds its own with the best of them in good light

The idea that someone would find fault with you comparing scopes in real world conditions is ludicrous.

"In good light" is the key. My Bushnell has been better than every scope ( at any price point) at the range, except one Leupold with the cut out at the bottom. They were equal in brightness and image quality; although the Leupold was limited to 14X while the 6500 goes to 30X. When that same good light scope gets to low light time it looses out to my 4200's and the Swarovski z5.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 38 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,039
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.