Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use Saddlesore's method, a pair of 1.25x el-cheapo reading glasses. They sharpen up my sights and the targets are rather well defined too. I use them with all of my rifles that don't wear scopes, which is most of them. I even wear them while hunting. I let them ride down on the tip of my nose, and when I take a shot I nudge them up in front of my eyes with the thumb that is wrapped over the wrist of the gun as I mount the gun, all in one motion. Takes all of about an extra 1/4 second.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 06/07/12.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
There are no rights or wrongs except how things work for you. For thirty+ years I have hunted my old T/C Hawken .50 with a Lyman peep. I do not use any insert whatever, sighting directly through the threaded aperture. Most of my elk have been taken on dreary, low-light days, and I find the large aperture allows me a better view of the target without adversely affecting accuracy out to 200 yds, generally my maximum game range.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by IdahoElkHunter
There are no rights or wrongs except how things work for you. For thirty+ years I have hunted my old T/C Hawken .50 with a Lyman peep. I do not use any insert whatever, sighting directly through the threaded aperture. Most of my elk have been taken on dreary, low-light days, and I find the large aperture allows me a better view of the target without adversely affecting accuracy out to 200 yds, generally my maximum game range.

Doesn't the front sight cover the whole animal at 200yds?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not if you use the 6 O'Clock hold.

Venor ergo sum
S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Put a williams peep on my 1845 plains rifle and it works good for these tired eyes, with a 6 o'clock hold no problem out to 100 yards with good light.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by txhunter58
Not if you use the 6 O'Clock hold.

I understand 6 O'clock hold, but we're talking about 200yds with a ghost site. Target sights I could understand.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
'Ghost ring' sights are all the fashion these days, but I like a well defined circle of light even with a relatively large aperture. I feel that by giving my brain a well defined circle it will more accurately compute the center of said circle, making for more accurate sighting. A fuzzy, or worse yet invisible outer ring isn't conducive to accurate shooting IMO.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't have a Ghost Ring and really don't know the diameter of them.
However, for a lot of years,I have huntdde with the aperature taken out of my peep sights and just use the trreaded hole. That is about .190 dia. I know a lot of others who do the same.
On targets, I use a samller aperture for finer sighting, but using it for hunting cuts down the ability to quickly aquire the trarget and the hunam eye will automatically seek the center.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A ghost sight, or taking out the aperture (similar) is fine out to about 100yds, or so. I use it too, and it's a fast hunting sight.

However, when the distance starts to get longer. It's not as precise. You need a smaller aperture and an appropriate front sight to go along with it. Front sights that come on muzzleloaders won't work that well at 200yds. It covers too much of the target. Even with a 6 o'clock hold.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I just checked my Garand. The front sight is about as wide as my two Muzzle Loader's and I competed quite sucessfully out to 600 yards. The rear aperature is smaller though.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/23/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How big is that target at 600yds? I've seen 1000yd targets ,and they were huge.

Plus, as you know. An elk at 200yds doesn't have a black bullseye on a white background to aim at. It's just a blob of the same color. (sort of)

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 06/23/12.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As recall and that doesn't mean it's accurate, but the X ring at a 600 yard target was about 12 inches.Most good shooters could put about 50% in there, 25% in the ten ring and 25% in the 9 ring in a 20 round course of fire, prone, in 20 minutes.
No shootiong was done less than 200 yards and those X rings weer quite abit smaller.
Not saying I could do that today.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Way beyond me. We have a range with full size metal animals out to 500yds. The elk looks likes a rabbit to me without a scope.

My max distance for an elk with iron sights is under 100yds. A lot less for deer.

Good thing i'm sneaky. smile

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Same here!!! grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It's all good. What works for one guy is worthless to the next. My eyes are so bad that a ghost ring (or aperture-less sight) disappears entirely for me. There is literally nothing there for my brain to analyze. That's why I stick to relatively small apertures, with the added benefit that a small aperture gives in focusing the light enough to keep the front sight relatively sharp. Sure, it's not as fast for target acquisition, and sucks in low light (necessitating a swap for a larger aperture or dialing open the Merit adjustable aperture, or better yet lingering over breakfast) but my hunting philosophy has me grinning at a buck bouncing away from me in the woods rather than taking a chancy shot. When/if a trophy presents itself at a distance of over 100 yds., I wish him well. The same sighting arrangement is used on my centerfires, and if that same trophy presents itself at more than 100 yds., and I'm carrying one of my Mausers, I take a second and slide the scope onto the QD side mount and decide then if I really want to shoot him.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I don't have a Ghost Ring and really don't know the diameter of them.
However, for a lot of years,I have huntdde with the aperature taken out of my peep sights and just use the trreaded hole. That is about .190 dia. I know a lot of others who do the same.
On targets, I use a smaller aperture for finer sighting, but using it for hunting cuts down the ability to quickly aquire the trarget and the hunam eye will automatically seek the center.
That has been precisely my experience. I discarded the smaller apertures the first day in the field in favor of quicker, brighter acquisition on the animal. Came in handy on my first muzzleloading bull, taken at 15 feet.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
It's all good. What works for one guy is worthless to the next. My eyes are so bad that a ghost ring (or aperture-less sight) disappears entirely for me. There is literally nothing there for my brain to analyze. That's why I stick to relatively small apertures, with the added benefit that a small aperture gives in focusing the light enough to keep the front sight relatively sharp. Sure, it's not as fast for target acquisition, and sucks in low light (necessitating a swap for a larger aperture or dialing open the Merit adjustable aperture, or better yet lingering over breakfast) but my hunting philosophy has me grinning at a buck bouncing away from me in the woods rather than taking a chancy shot. When/if a trophy presents itself at a distance of over 100 yds., I wish him well. The same sighting arrangement is used on my centerfires, and if that same trophy presents itself at more than 100 yds., and I'm carrying one of my Mausers, I take a second and slide the scope onto the QD side mount and decide then if I really want to shoot him.

I have the same problem with a ghost ring. It disappears. I have to use something smaller, and then it's not as good for hunting in timber as a ghost ring.

The only answer for me is a low power scope.

C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I would have a scope on my MZ already if Colorado allowed them for hunting.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by cobrad
I would have a scope on my MZ already if Colorado allowed them for hunting.

They do if your eyesight is bad enough. I have one of those licenses.

C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm glad to hear that. It would be a shame to have to quit hunting if something so easy can keep us going.
I doubt I qualify, but happy for you friend.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (7887mm08, 35, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,415
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.