Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 23 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 22 23
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
well, this interesting thread has morphed into the usual 'I'm a cop, so I defend cops' crap.
Yep.

Erroneous. I was discussing who does, and does not have a vagina.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was in lots and lots of chases with ORV's in the same general area that is depicted in the video. I also chose not to chase lots and lots of ORV's due to various safety factors during that time. I wound up catching the offender about 25% of the time. The unusual thing about this chase was how long the rider chose to stay on the pavement before taking it off road. I think he was having fun.

It is illegal everywhere in Michigan to ride an ATV on the main travelled portion of the roadway. Counties can declare the shoulder and right-of-way open for ATV's. The deal was, if you never chased anybody, nobody would stop for you. If you did chase and caught people now and then, the word would get around and most people would stop when you tried to pull them over.

I wouldn't chase kids and wouldn't chase in a densely populated area or on roads that had blind curves or other similar hazards. The chase in the video was much longer than a typical chase but not particularly dangerous due to the open roads, low traffic, and the fact that the officer didn't crowd the ATV while the chase was in progress.

Nobody got hurt in any chase I was involved in. Normally the chase was won or lost in the first half mile or so and backing off never made us feel bad.

One time I chased a dirt bike for a short distance, until the rider left the pavement and disappeared into the woods. I got out of my car and couldn't hear him. Then I saw him running through the woods on foot and noticed that he had tried to hide his bike in a brush pile...he was kind enough to leave the key in the ignition, so I wound up chasing him down on his own bike.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/05/12.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
so I wound up chasing him down on his own bike.

LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by rockchucker
you have no point or a clue, cuz your blinded by your rose colored glasses
I'm not advocating a society without rules. But in order to understand why he ran, you only need to look at the situation objectively. He ran because he didn't want to be punished for violating a societal rule. It's as simple as that. There are some here who seem perplexed by that.

So what's your point then ? Eliminate the "rules" ?
See above: "I'm not advocating a society without rules." Just explaining why he didn't stop.

Very well. Now my question is still unanswered. If no one wants to stop, pull over, get arrested etc what are you proposing the cops do ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rockchucker
you have no point or a clue, cuz your blinded by your rose colored glasses
I'm not advocating a society without rules. But in order to understand why he ran, you only need to look at the situation objectively. He ran because he didn't want to be punished for violating a societal rule. It's as simple as that. There are some here who seem perplexed by that.

So what's your point then ? Eliminate the "rules" ?
See above: "I'm not advocating a society without rules." Just explaining why he didn't stop.

How the [bleep] do you know why he didn't stop?

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He has multiple degrees in psychology too.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...so I wound up chasing him down on his own bike.

That was mean!!!!

grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not know what the Roscommon County SO policy is on High Speep persuit but I do know of at least 2 small municipal agencys here in Michigan that have a policy of "no persuit over the speed limit".

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Then I saw him running through the woods on foot and noticed that he had tried to hide his bike in a brush pile...he was kind enough to leave the key in the ignition, so I wound up chasing him down on his own bike.

Holly [bleep] that is funny.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
He didn't stop because he didn't want robo-bitch hooking up to his quad and tossing it into the back of a wrecker... wink

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I was in lots and lots of chases with ORV's in the same general area that is depicted in the video. I also chose not to chase lots and lots of ORV's due to various safety factors during that time. I wound up catching the offender about 25% of the time. The unusual thing about this chase was how long the rider chose to stay on the pavement before taking it off road.

It is illegal everywhere in Michigan to ride an ATV on the main travelled portion of the roadway. Counties can declare the shoulder and right-of-way open for ATV's. The deal was, if you never chased anybody, nobody would stop for you. If you did chase and caught people now and then, the word would get around and most people would stop when you tried to pull them over.

I wouldn't chase kids and wouldn't chase in a densely populated area or on roads that had blind curves or other similar hazards. The chase in the video was much longer than a typical chase but not particularly dangerous due to the open roads, low traffic, and the fact that the officer didn't crowd the ATV while the chase was in progress.

Nobody got hurt in any chase I was involved in. Normally the chase was won or lost in the first half mile or so and backing off never made us feel bad.

One time I chased a dirt bike for a short distance, until the rider left the pavement and disappeared into the woods. I got out of my car and couldn't hear him. Then I saw him running through the woods on foot and noticed that he had tried to hide his bike in a brush pile...he was kind enough to leave the key in the ignition, so I wound up chasing him down on his own bike.

That's hilarious.

I remember when we were kids thinking 'Just gotta make it this next trail!' grin

Which was dumber than hell because the Deputy's were always cool anyway.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know for certain that in Keewatin, MN, in the mid 80s, If the young man would have dumped his machine and not been hurt, he would have gotten a ticket for fleeing a peace officer on a motor vehicle.

Then the officer would have sent him home on his machine and called his mother and told her that her son was on his way home. (she would be waiting in the driveway hands on hips)

Later the court would have issued him a drivers license number just to revoke it(if the rider was too young to have a DL.) and given him 100 hours of community service (which was fine cause I, oops he, wasnt getting any where near his wheeler for the rest of that summer. blush

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Very well. Now my question is still unanswered. If no one wants to stop, pull over, get arrested etc what are you proposing the cops do ?
It would depend, I think. If the cop has a high degree of certainty that the fleeing person is a violent felon, it might be justified to engage in a high speed chase. Short of that, not. In the latter case, the cop should merely observe and record in order to assist the department in their efforts to identify and cite or arrest the individual at a later time.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

It's my best guess based on my understanding of human nature.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
He has multiple degrees in psychology too.
That sounds impressive. Multiple degrees. grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

It's my best guess based on my understanding of human nature.

JFC...

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It would depend, I think. If the cop has a high degree of certainty that the fleeing person is a violent felon, it might be justified to engage in a high speed chase. Short of that, not. In the latter case, the cop should merely observe and record in order to assist the department in their efforts to identify and cite or arrest the individual at a later time.

Still haven't answered my question. If you can't/won't answer why respond.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Still haven't answered my question. If you can't/won't answer why respond.
Look up above, directly above your last sentence in this box. That's right. Now read.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got it now. You can't answer it. Thank you.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I got it now. You can't answer it. Thank you.
frown I very clearly and straightforwardly answered your question. What part of it is confusing you?

Page 8 of 23 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (219DW, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 50 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,108
Posts18,522,625
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.