Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mac84
Originally Posted by RDFinn
"Make your bones"...?

Oh yah, hawkeye said rookies have to prove themselves trustworthy to the old guys by killing somone.

OMG

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that guy high on coke ? Reason I asked is bc of how fast he talks. Ok, so I watched the first 10 min. approx and what I'm sensing is if you're guilty shut your yap....And that's good advise. Has nothing to do with this topic.

Yes, you have to listen fast.

But no, he makes some very good arguments that even innocent people should keep their yaps shut. And the police detective guest he has gets up a little more than halfway through the program and says that everything the professor said was absolutely right.

Has quite a bit to do with this topic.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barak
I can only speak from personal experience and that is if someone I'm questioning just clams up right out of the gate, they are hiding something and it just peaks my curiosity even further.

Of course. But now, you see how the question of whether you're a dirty cop or not doesn't even come up? If I talk to you, you have a choice of whether to act on what I say in bad faith or not. (Remember, folks, it's perfectly legal for cops to tell you barefaced lies, on video, about everything from one end to the other if they think it might get you to incriminate yourself. It's only illegal for you to lie to them.)

But if I don't talk to you, then it doesn't matter whether you're a dirty cop or not: you can't act on what I say in bad faith, because I haven't said anything.

I think I already said, in your case you'd be better off exercising silence. Best case scenario for you would likely result in an involuntary 48 hour observation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe it was on a thread a few years ago abotu a college kid who got killed by cops after pointing an antique rifle of some sort at the police.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
He outran her, huh? Whoopdee doo. Someone like that'd have to practically want to get caught in those conditions, knowing the area as he seemed to. He did almost lose it on that one jump in someone's yard, I noticed, but it looked like to me that he knew from jump he'd not get caught--by her, anyway.

Back in the bad old days, we'd flee from John E. Law on a like, weekly basis. Not for anything truly criminal, but they frowned heavily on kids in the city gathering and drinking and, well, y'know, being wise-asses. Since none of us wanted to get cuffed, stuffed and roughed--or even worse, brought home to your old man--when they came, we'd bolt every single time.

A few of the chases we led them on in cars and on foot, with us always on foot, were the stuff legends were made of. Some epic fails in there too. wink For most of the mob I ran with, rare was the day someone would actually get pinched.

But then, you know and area well, with rooftops, alleys, apartment complex basements, subway tunnels, fences, tracks and backyards... Unless you're too damned drunk to run, or have a really speedy, or determined cop (or both!), the runners always had the upper hand in the inner city. By far.

Not proud of wasting their time, or making a bloody nuisance--and then some-- of ourselves, but hey, that was then, and I've grown up a bit since then. Now I just occasionally pour booze in my eyes to self-punish. I think.

wink

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I already said, in your case you'd be better off exercising silence. Best case scenario for you would likely result in an involuntary 48 hour observation.

So far, as long as I keep my big mouth shut, nobody's been able to discover or manufacture any probable cause.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You're dismissed.
I'll know not to waste my time with you in the future.

Bloody hell......count me in too, please, oh please ignore me too!!!!!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Barak
I can only speak from personal experience and that is if someone I'm questioning just clams up right out of the gate, they are hiding something and it just peaks my curiosity even further.

Of course. But now, you see how the question of whether you're a dirty cop or not doesn't even come up? If I talk to you, you have a choice of whether to act on what I say in bad faith or not. (Remember, folks, it's perfectly legal for cops to tell you barefaced lies, on video, about everything from one end to the other if they think it might get you to incriminate yourself. It's only illegal for you to lie to them.)

But if I don't talk to you, then it doesn't matter whether you're a dirty cop or not: you can't act on what I say in bad faith, because I haven't said anything.

My best friend is now an FBI agent, been doing it about 10 years since he got out of the Marine Corps. He essentially says the same thing as Barak, that if you ever get into a situation where you're detained by the police as a suspect to NOT engage them without a lawyer present. He says not to be a jerk, but any questioning should be answered with "I'll need to talk to my lawyer before I can answer that". All communication with them is a fishing expedition and they wouldn't be questioning you if they already knew the answers. He told me that 90% of the time the suspects do themselves in by talking too much. The cop might think you're guilty but that doesn't man squat, all that matters is what he can prove.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RDFinn
Point I was attempting to make with Barak was, if you haven't done anything wrong, then it should be extremely easy to engage in civil communication. Really simple. His his case, or people who have similar issues, they would be much better served to keep their yap shut.

the policee would not be stopping you, and attempting to engage you in conversation if they felt you were innocent.
The police have no idea of the gut wrenching feeling that being stopped engenders in the average person.
I think it is damn sound advice that a Citizen not offer any info to the police in such a situation, other than to answer a direct question with a factual, direct reply. Offering anything else is not to the Citizen's advantage.
The police are working the encounter to their advantage, why is it wrong for a Citizen to do the same?

Sam......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KFWA
Point I was attempting to make with Barak was, if you haven't done anything wrong, then it should be extremely easy to engage in civil communication

for the average police you run into at the quickie mart or burger king and just strike up a conversation, I have no problem engaging in friendly banter.

But if a policeman comes to me to discuss a pontential situation that he may view me as a offender, I'm not talking to him at all.
From sitting on the grand jury, I've learned enough that those that talk end up in jail that night. 90% of the cases that made it to the grand jury were because the defendant incriminated himself in some way by cooperating with police.
Exactly right. If a cop has initiated conversation with you in anything close to an official capacity, his mind is working over time trying to find a way to get you into the system. That's their path to advancement.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Maybe you can explain how innocent people incriminate themselves.
They don't have to. A cop can wrongly believe he heard something incriminating just because his mind was bent in that direction.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I can only speak from personal experience and that is if someone I'm questioning just clams up right out of the gate, they are hiding something
I've never been questioned by the police except for traffic stops. Then it's readily apparent they feel the need to combine a fishing expedition into a stop for 11 over on a deserted road. If they don't know the speed limit on the road, they shouldn't be asking me. Where I'm going, where I've been, why I'm on that road, is not pertinent to the issue of speed over the limit they purport not to know. No wonder traffic stops have become dangerous events for cops. They believe they can assert themselves into peoples lives in ways not relevant to the issue at hand. It pisses people off. What they may appear to be hiding is contempt. I don't hide it, though, I want them to know full well what I think of their tactics.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

You have no idea why he didn't stop.
Yes I do. And I'm more than likely correct.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"Make your bones"...?
Yes, sort of a rite of passage, a barroom bouncer's first toss out, a cop's first successful armed encounter, etc.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"Make your bones"...?

Oh yah, hawkeye said rookies have to prove themselves trustworthy to the old guys by killing somone.
Not quite the way I put it, but no surprise there. "Making one's bones" is a slang expression. Look it up.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JSTUART
You're dismissed.

I wasn't speaking of using the ignore feature. I was merely stating that it had become clear there was no point in attempting the use of reason with him. Seems to be a common trait among the cops on the Fire, with a few exceptions.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART
You're dismissed.

I wasn't speaking of using the ignore feature....

Ah...fruit!...I knew it was too good to be true.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
He outran her, huh? Whoopdee doo. Someone like that'd have to practically want to get caught in those conditions, knowing the area as he seemed to. He did almost lose it on that one jump in someone's yard, I noticed, but it looked like to me that he knew from jump he'd not get caught--by her, anyway.

Back in the bad old days, we'd flee from John E. Law on a like, weekly basis. Not for anything truly criminal, but they frowned heavily on kids in the city gathering and drinking and, well, y'know, being wise-asses. Since none of us wanted to get cuffed, stuffed and roughed--or even worse, brought home to your old man--when they came, we'd bolt every single time.

A few of the chases we led them on in cars and on foot, with us always on foot, were the stuff legends were made of. Some epic fails in there too. wink For most of the mob I ran with, rare was the day someone would actually get pinched.

But then, you know and area well, with rooftops, alleys, apartment complex basements, subway tunnels, fences, tracks and backyards... Unless you're too damned drunk to run, or have a really speedy, or determined cop (or both!), the runners always had the upper hand in the inner city. By far.

Not proud of wasting their time, or making a bloody nuisance--and then some-- of ourselves, but hey, that was then, and I've grown up a bit since then. Now I just occasionally pour booze in my eyes to self-punish. I think.

wink

I don't think I've ever known anybody that didn't run from the cops. At least a few times.

Thank God we were able to dodge all those bullets and murderous po-po!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There seems to be a natural conflict between the idea that if you are innocent you shouldn't be afraid to talk to police and basic mantra of our law being that EVERYONE is innocent until proven guilty.

And innocence may just be a matter of degree. What a policeman may think is a simple trespass may turn into a B&E, Burglary or even home invasion once someone decides to talk to a policeman, and they are going to do everything possible get you on the most significant charge or multiples. The average citizen may not know the difference.

I stick with my statement given how the sentencing structure is, incentives for conviction and the general approach of police once they are fully engaged in investigating a crime, you will NOT talk your yourself into walking away.

If the policeman doesn't have anything on you when talking to you, he isn't going to have anything more on you if you don't talk. He may think you are guilty but he isn't going to act on it without proof. If he has proof, then talking only makes it worse.

Its really as simple as that.

Last edited by KFWA; 07/06/12.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
never really understood the concept that if you question anything the police do, you are a 'cop hater'.
The attitude of 'us against them' that cops have, is creating a wider gulf between Citizens and cops.
The criminalization of damn hear everything, and the push to collect civil fines and forfeitures seems to drive law enforcement. Traffic law enforcement is seen more and more, as being all about the money it creates.
Despite all the millions of arrests, and the collecting of billions of dollars in fines, folks still speed.
The war on drugs, another massive failure when compared to it's goals, has resulted in the incarceration of a quarter of the population.
Throw in the fact that most cops are public service employee union members, and it's hard to escape the feeling that they are indeed 'different' from the rest of us Citizens.

That just shows you can't fix stupid. If people continue to be ticketed/arrested why shouldn't the state/muni keep taking their money? If they don't take it someone else will.

The cops vs citizen mentality is driven by civilians. People are jealous of police. Being a cop is one of the very few jobs that you can be fired for something you do own your time even if it's not illegal but people insist we are treated if we are above the law.

Dink

Teachers can be fired like that too...

Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,122
Posts18,522,927
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.