Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
What I see, more and more in these sort of threads, is that the police and the citizens truly live in different worlds. No wonder the majority of people don't trust, respect, or want anything to do with the police.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9
For example, I attempted to make contact with a young lady last night. My new guy has her cold on a fairly serious DV charge. Based on the information available right now, my guy should be burning warrants. If she speaks to us and tells me what I think she's going to, I can justify going to my boss (and the CA's office) and possibly argue against arrest. If she wants to avoid me and/or "not speak to the police"........

George

So I'm curious. Sounds like an interesting story, but much of it is over my head. Who's your "new guy?" What's DV? What does "burning warrants" mean? Who's the CA?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by RDFinn
As I said earlier, the way folks talk [bleep] here and they way they actually behave if they have contact with LEO's, are vastly different.

What would you do if you pulled somebody over for some minor traffic infraction and he gave you his license and registration when asked, but no matter what you said or did to him he just stared wordlessly at you?

What--are you going to arrest him? You'd look like a complete idiot. Drag him out of the car and Taser him until he talks to you? Even worse.

I've had several cops make a few attempts at getting a response, then shrug and attend to business with no further interruptions. One of them got a drug dog and ran it around my car. One little scrawny guy worked himself up into a real lather until he was nose to nose with me (well, nose to chest, anyway) with his Taser out, blowing spit up into my face and screaming, "You got a problem with me? Huh? Huh? You got a problem, you son of a bitch?" until his partner pulled him aside and calmed him down.

One cop came to my house asking for permission to take photos of my truck to prove that it had been involved in a hit-and-run incident the previous day (it hadn't). I just stared at him without answering, and after making some pretty dire but empty threats he gave up and went out to the end of the driveway and took his pictures from there while I recorded video on my cell phone from the porch.

Another saw me land a plane after dark at an unattended airport (absolutely routine, but he apparently didn't know that) and came roaring up as I was offloading stuff from the plane into my car (harmless stuff) and hollered that I wasn't allowed to be on airport property after hours. (Utter bullcrap.) I glanced at him once, then continued loading my car and putting the plane to bed, ignoring him. He hollered at me a few more times, then got back in his cruiser and started talking on the radio. When I got the plane tied down and locked up, I just drove away; he didn't follow.

I'll grant you that it can be tough to find the courage to keep shut when a big scary cop, laden down with all sorts of weapons, demands answers in his best "command voice," and maybe tougher to fight down the ego that tries to force a response when he tells you what you did and is completely wrong. But after you manage it the first time and see the pickle it puts him in, and how much control it gives you over what he can do, as opposed to him having the control over what he will do...all of a sudden it's nowhere near as scary or difficult anymore.

Matter of fact, with the spit-blower guy I had to consciously resist laughing: he was so impotently furious he was pretty funny. Reminded me of Joe Pesci a little.

I have a hunch you and DINK might end up the same way he did.

You are a liar.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 07/06/12.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
domestic violence

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I said earlier, the way folks talk [bleep] here and they way they actually behave if they have contact with LEO's, are vastly different.

What would you do if you pulled somebody over for some minor traffic infraction and he gave you his license and registration when asked, but no matter what you said or did to him he just stared wordlessly at you?

What--are you going to arrest him? You'd look like a complete idiot. Drag him out of the car and Taser him until he talks to you? Even worse.

I've had several cops make a few attempts at getting a response, then shrug and attend to business with no further interruptions. One of them got a drug dog and ran it around my car. One little scrawny guy worked himself up into a real lather until he was nose to nose with me (well, nose to chest, anyway) with his Taser out, blowing spit up into my face and screaming, "You got a problem with me? Huh? Huh? You got a problem, you son of a bitch?" until his partner pulled him aside and calmed him down.

One cop came to my house asking for permission to take photos of my truck to prove that it had been involved in a hit-and-run incident the previous day (it hadn't). I just stared at him without answering, and after making some pretty dire but empty threats he gave up and went out to the end of the driveway and took his pictures from there while I recorded video on my cell phone from the porch.

Another saw me land a plane after dark at an unattended airport (absolutely routine, but he apparently didn't know that) and came roaring up as I was offloading stuff from the plane into my car (harmless stuff) and hollered that I wasn't allowed to be on airport property after hours. (Utter bullcrap.) I glanced at him once, then continued loading my car and putting the plane to bed, ignoring him. He hollered at me a few more times, then got back in his cruiser and started talking on the radio. When I got the plane tied down and locked up, I just drove away; he didn't follow.

I'll grant you that it can be tough to find the courage to keep shut when a big scary cop, laden down with all sorts of weapons, demands answers in his best "command voice," and maybe tougher to fight down the ego that tries to force a response when he tells you what you did and is completely wrong. But after you manage it the first time and see the pickle it puts him in, and how much control it gives you over what he can do, as opposed to him having the control over what he will do...all of a sudden it's nowhere near as scary or difficult anymore.

Matter of fact, with the spit-blower guy I had to consciously resist laughing: he was so impotently furious he was pretty funny. Reminded me of Joe Pesci a little.

I have a hunch you and DINK might end up the same way he did.

You amuse yourself into thinking you're that important. If someone wants to exercise "the code of silence" it simply erases any chance they had of a verbal warning, which accounted for more than 50% of my MV stops.

Please don't let me curtail your cyber fantasies though.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
What I see, more and more in these sort of threads, is that the police and the citizens truly live in different worlds. No wonder the majority of people don't trust, respect, or want anything to do with the police.

The State has pretty much abandoned the pretense of being subject to the people, and everybody understands by now, even if they don't want to admit it, that the people are the subjects of the State. Cops are the tools with which the State maintains the people in subjection to it; therefore, the relationship is fundamentally an adversarial one, just as the relationship between a corrections officer and a prisoner is fundamentally adversarial.

Now I have to tell you that I know a couple of COs, personally, who are so good at their job that they are beloved by everyone, prisoners, staff, and security alike. They have managed to take an adversarial relationship and make lemonade out of it. It does happen.

But only two, out of maybe a thousand COs I've met and a couple hundred I know.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with cops.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK
You are a liar.

Dink

You're funny.

And so predictable!

I wouldn't be surprised if you even look a bit like Joe Pesci.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

The State has pretty much abandoned the pretense of being subject to the people, and everybody understands by now, even if they don't want to admit it, that the people are the subjects of the State. Cops are the tools with which the State maintains the people in subjection to it; therefore, the relationship is fundamentally an adversarial one, just as the relationship between a corrections officer and a prisoner is fundamentally adversarial.
Very true.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by sgt217
domestic violence

?
You asked what DV was.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by deflave
Great stories.

Travis

All true.
I love it. Great stuff. Good on you.

Boyhood dreams............lol

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
George, I think you are one of kind and the last dinosaur standing.

Montana being a rural state with everybody armed to the teeth the police around here aren't to bad but still one had better be careful what one says to a cop. It could land one in the State's Five Star Hotel in Deerlodge.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
domestic violence

?
You asked what DV was.

Got it--thanks.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I thought it was Deo Volente ?

Learn something new every day, Deo Volente...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
domestic violence

?
You asked what DV was.

Got it--thanks.

They didn't use those terms on Adam-12.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
You are a liar.

Dink

You're funny.

And so predictable!

Why don't you tell everyone the story about the the cop seeing the gun case in your truck while they were directing traffic at a crash seen? I bet you can't with out looking up the old post/lie.

For someone that does not like the police you sure have a bunch of run ins with them. Now the only question is whether those run ins are real or make believe.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
I thought it was Deo Volente ?

Learn something new every day, Deo Volente...

What's that--God wills? The only Latin I know is from the Mass--from classical choral church music.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are a liar.

Dink

You're funny.

And so predictable!

Why don't you tell everyone the story about the the cop seeing the gun case in your truck while they were directing traffic at a crash seen? I bet you can't with out looking up the old post/lie.

Crash scene? Hmm. Maybe you're the one who doesn't remember it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If it's something like a traffic stop I see no reason to be silent. Also, I'm always told the reason they pulled me over was speeding and by how much without me asking. I then tell them the truth; either I wasn't paying attention or I was in a hurry to get to work. I haven't been written a ticket in years.

However, if I was being questioned about something serious I would not volunteer any information without an attorney being present.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okbowman
If it's something like a traffic stop I see no reason to be silent. Also, I'm always told the reason they pulled me over was speeding and by how much without me asking. I then tell them the truth; either I wasn't paying attention or I was in a hurry to get to work. I haven't been written a ticket in years.

However, if I was being questioned about something serious I would not volunteer any information without an attorney being present.

Exactly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Got it--thanks.

They didn't use those terms on Adam-12.

Really? With the incredible diversity in professions, competencies, and expertise represented here, you want to get into a jargon-off?

For each one of us here, there are probably a dozen others who could advise us in the mechanics of autocopulation in their own jargon and have us thank them for the compliment.

Let this serve as public notice: I'm not interested in participating in or promoting any such contest. I'm perfectly happy to expand my own jargon into layman's terms wherever it crops up, and I love it when people in other disciplines do the same.

Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1234, 17CalFan, 1_deuce, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,105
Posts18,522,468
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.