Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Damn...all this time I coulda been makin' the rules?

Yeah. You don't sound much PC from where I sit. whistle

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm working on it. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My town was incorporated, so in retrospect, I guess I was working for a private sector concern.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
"Some of us believe there's no need for government police, that private police would do the job better and more efficiently and there'd be much less trouble with the public.

But the job needs doing, yes."

So, Barak, should your wife get mugged, who you gonna call? Some private cop?

Sure, if we could afford one. At least he'd be interested in the case, lest we take our custom to one of his competitors. It'd be a lot easier to afford a private cop, though, if we weren't paying all that tax money to government cops who couldn't care less about something like a mugging, beyond taking a police report to send to the insurance company.

Gonna have one on standby all the time?

Who knows? We might even have the money for that if we didn't have to pay the government cops to ignore crime.

Ya need to come face to face with what is real and what is not, man.

You seem to have an exceptionally good handle on that yourself. Perhaps you could assist me.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"You seem to have an exceptionally good handle on that yourself. Perhaps you could assist me."

I am sure that I couldn't offer up anything that would interest you in the least.

Check with TRH as he seems to be more your type.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess Barak hasn't heard of an Oath of Office taken by every sworn police officer in the USA.

Most look something like this...

" On my honor, I will never betray my badge, my integrity, my character, or the public trust. I will always have the courage to hold myself and others accountable for our actions. I will always uphold the Constitution, the community, and the agency I serve, so help me God."

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah, and Obama swore to uphold that same CONSTITUTION! He's done a great job of it hasn't he?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I guess Barak hasn't heard of an Oath of Office taken by every sworn police officer in the USA.

Most look something like this...

" On my honor, I will never betray my badge, my integrity, my character, or the public trust. I will always have the courage to hold myself and others accountable for our actions. I will always uphold the Constitution, the community, and the agency I serve, so help me God."

Yahhh...we're familiar with the whole "oath of office" business. We've seen what it means.

Specifically, for people to whom it's important, it's entirely unnecessary; that is, they'd be perfectly decent people without any oath at all. For the rest, it is entirely irrelevant--means nothing at all.

"I'm a sworn police officer" tells you just about exactly as much about a person you don't know as "I'm a Christian" does.

Ever notice that private-sector jobs involving great responsibility don't require any oath at all? An oath of office, like a trial by jury, is a Jerry-rigged government hack that attempts to distract the public from an immense conflict of interest. "I'm in a position to commit great acts of corruption for significant personal benefit, but...you can trust me because I promise not to."

Yeah.

Last edited by Barak; 07/09/12. Reason: Clarification

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My town was incorporated, so in retrospect, I guess I was working for a private sector concern.

Were you paid with money your customers freely chose to pay you for your services, money that they could just as freely have chosen not to pay you in exchange for the cessation of those services, or to pay to somebody else for his services instead of yours?

Or were you paid with money that was forcibly extorted from people who were coerced into tolerating your services regardless of their choice?

That's the question that's important, not whether your town was incorporated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Folks moved from [bleep] areas into our town and similar surrounding towns for the safety, services and schools.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Folks moved from [bleep] areas into our town and similar surrounding towns for the safety, services and schools.

It's okay...I knew the answer before I asked the question. Took a page from NH K9's book.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barak
Ever notice that private-sector jobs involving great responsibility don't require any oath at all?

Yes, and it's one of the reasons there's no loyalty to any specific company or cause these days. Anytime someone gets a better offer (money) they're gone. Police officers, don't job shop for 40 years of employment.

Regarding "great responsibility" in the private sector ? It's strictly a monetary responsibility. Cops have a far greater range of responsibility than anyone in the private sector.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's okay...I knew the answer before I asked the question. Took a page from NH K9's book.

If you knew the answer, why ask ? Just to hear yourself speak ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ever notice that private-sector jobs involving great responsibility don't require any oath at all?

I can't imagine that you've ever been in such a field. If you had, you would know that those jobs require contracts. An oath is a verbal contract.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Yeah. This whole thread is a chess match and RD just can't compete with your brilliance.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

He is THAT smart.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He speaks of places that sound as if he's only familiar with residing in a concentration camp. Extorting money ? Does he live in the USA ? Just being funny, as I know he and Penny O' live on LI.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Yeah. This whole thread is a chess match and RD just can't compete with your brilliance.

Travis

It's like speaking to someone living in a different universe but strangely he knows English.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, and it's one of the reasons there's no loyalty to any specific company or cause these days. Anytime someone gets a better offer (money) they're gone.

Not quite. For example, you could theoretically get me away from the company I work for now, but not with money. Even ridiculous amounts of money wouldn't interest me, because there are non-monetary relationships, benefits, and capabilities I have here that I value more highly than money. The way to get me to move would be for my present company to destroy those benefits (by which I don't mean forms of insurance: those aren't particularly great wiht my company, actually) or for another company to offer me better ones.

But I know what you mean. And I don't see a problem with it. Seems to me that if a company wants the loyalty of its employees, it ought to have to make itself worthy of loyalty, rather than just demanding it. My company has, so far.

Police officers, don't job shop for 40 years of employment.

That's not a positive thing. It means you can't attract good cops away from the jobs they have now, and you can't get rid of bad cops.

Regarding "great responsibility" in the private sector ? It's strictly a monetary responsibility. Cops have a far greater range of responsibility than anyone in the private sector.

Oh, horse-puckey. You only say that because you're a cop.

How often do you hold the lives of more than 350 people in your hands, the way a 747 pilot does every day, frequently more than once a day?

Heck--a lowly airport shuttle driver probably has more responsibility in real terms than you do.

And these are people who actually do real productive work that folks are willing to pay for, of their own free choice. They produce more than they consume.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No, just to hear you speak. I was curious about which dodge you'd take.

Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,104
Posts18,522,417
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.