Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I realize this has probably been beat to death here, but after looking through the recent topics, I did not see where it was discussed in the recent past. I will be using these boots for mainly hunting/hiking anywhere from the September archery season (90 degrees plus)to rifle elk season (-20 and snow). What is the best all around boot made if money was no object? How about if one was on a budget of, say, $250.00?

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what clients tell me, Meindl is a good way to go and especially within your price range.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Crispis and Kenetrek - for the upper end of the boot market, if you are on a budget, watch camofire.com, they have both brands for sale pretty regularly and at a price cheaper (>$250) than any other site. They also take calls to the warehouse for orders if you need them now, and they have your size on hand.

As far as the temperature range you are looking at, it's going to be hard to find a non-insolated boot that is light enough to get you through the 80-90 degree temps, and still have enough room for the layers you will need for the sub-zero layers. With a 100 degree span, you are really looking at two pair of boots to do either end of the range well. JMO...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd pick and choose the type of boot you need based on your requirements. Once you narrow it down to a type of boot, I'd look at samples from all the major makers, do not get locked into any specific maker if you've never worn their boots. At this point, it is a matter of fit, the different makes do not always fit quite the same. You may be so generic that a broad range may fit you well. On the other hand, you may have a fit that only a very few of the makes will work well. I know for a fact, through trial and error, that certain boots that are praised by some on this board are a quick and certain death upon my feet making them my absolute worst of the worst list. Some will just not accommodate the shape of your foot, be it too narrow, too wide, too short, or too long. You'd think the sizing between them all would be the same, but this will not be the case.

Personally, my favorite boot for upland use is a Redwing 914. I get them fit and adjusted through a Redwing cobbler so this boot ends up having a custom fit. I can get about ten years extreme service out of these boots and they'll go through several resoles. I use them for any uninsulated outdoor work down to a bit below freezing, to include bow hunting.

My favorite packs are Schnees and my favorite mucks are Muck boots. When it comes to a stiffer pack boot for the hills and mountains, I happily used Lowa Sheep Hunters for a number of years and I have more recently switched to Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. As I've aged and have suffered injuries, my requirements for boots have become more specific. Certain boots that served me well when I was younger and stronger, no longer work as well for me. There was a time I could run the hills barefoot without issue, but those days are long gone.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 07/13/12.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GaryVA
I'd pick and choose the type of boot you need based on your requirements. Once you narrow it down to a type of boot, I'd look at samples from all the major makers, do not get locked into any specific maker if you've never worn their boots. At this point, it is a matter of fit, the different makes do not always fit quite the same. You may be so generic that a broad range may fit you well. On the other hand, you may have a fit that only a very few of the makes will work well. I know for a fact, through trial and error, that certain boots that are praised by some on this board are a quick and certain death upon my feet making them my absolute worst of the worst list. Some will just not accommodate the shape of your foot, be it too narrow, too wide, too short, or too long. You'd think the sizing between them all would be the same, but this will not be the case.

Best smile

Yes, you definitely need to try them on with the socks you'll be wearing while hunting, and not just ordering "blindly" from a catalog. A client ordered a pair of Kenetrek boots and they murdered his feet. For the following year, he ended up buying a pair of Danners at a store and only after trying them on.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
troutslayer,

I don't know where you are in Montana, but if you're anywhere within a reasonable drive of Bozeman you can go to Kenetrek headquarters and try boots on. They can fit just about anybody, and Kenetreks that FIT are among the best boots available.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i know everyone has an opinion, but i've always been a fan of danners. i've got 5 pairs of hunting/ hiking boots.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A pair of boots that will do it all from +90 to -20 is a tall order indeed. Realistically, I think you are looking at two or, or preferably three pair, for that kind of temperature span.

I'd be looking for a pair of high quality non-insulated boots to cover Spring, Summer and early Fall. I roll with a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme.

Around here, depending upon where you go and what you do, a similarly high quality insulated boot works well for most elk and late whitetail hunting situations. But then again, our general season ends the first week of November for elk and it rarely gets below the double digits. Mostly 60's to mid 20's, though I've seen it not get above 16 for a few days. Toe warmers help expand the comfort range. I've got a pair of Cabela's Mountain Hunters, now discontinued, that are awesome comfy. Italian made, Dave Page says they're Miendls made for Cabelas.

Below that, I'd be looking at a decent pair of packs, some boiled wool socks, arch support and extra liners inserts. I've been using Sorels ever since we lived in Billings MT as a kid, but there's no doubt something "better".

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Maverick940
From what clients tell me, Meindl is a good way to go and especially within your price range.

I really like the Meindls as well. The Alaska Hiker version is a great all around boot.

Hanwag makes a good boot too.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
troutslayer,

I don't know where you are in Montana, but if you're anywhere within a reasonable drive of Bozeman you can go to Kenetrek headquarters and try boots on. They can fit just about anybody, and Kenetreks that FIT are among the best boots available.

Hi John,
Given your experience where does Kenetrek's abilities stop? I have to buy extra wide 13's to fit my size 11.5 feet.
12 eeeee usually is just right with good socks. Think they are up to that challenge?

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've done some glaciar hiking, including climbing mt ranier, in my meindl alakans. You can layer wool socks pretty well to bump up your thermal needs. I hunt on the wasatch front in all sorts of weather including snow and ice and all i use is my meindls in different flavors with good socks.

I use a lot of the same boots in hot weather with a different sock setup. Not ideal, but it can be done.

As far as which I like best, or which anybody likes best, it comes down to foot shape in many cases. I'd recommend you try stuff from lowa, meindl, hanwag, raichle, crispi - as many of them as you can get your hands on. Ordering from places like zappos.com or sierratradingpost allow you to try things and send them back if they dont work.

here's a vid i did with many of the suggested boots. It may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfApS_NRQjg

BB3 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Irish Setter brand is pretty good. They are high quality, well built boots.

"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean."

-Sir Isaac Newton
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've had good luck with Hanwags from Lathrop and Sons. My feet used to really hurt after 3 miles or so....not anymore...

http://www.lathropandsons.com/

Last edited by ken999; 07/15/12.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by rem338win
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
troutslayer,

Hi John,
Given your experience where does Kenetrek's abilities stop? I have to buy extra wide 13's to fit my size 11.5 feet.
12 eeeee usually is just right with good socks. Think they are up to that challenge?

What you need to do, is to call Viberg's in Victoria and consider having a pair of custom boots made to PROPERLY fit your feet. This, is not as costly as it may seem and they make good boots that will work in BC conditions and last.

A few years ago, some people on HBC or maybe CGN were having a similar problem and Gatehouse decided to ask and then act upon my advice. He got boots from Viberg's to fit and he also has big, wide feet.

If, you are, as your foot size indicates, a big and heavy man, you will tear up Cabela's Meindls, Kennetreks, and other recreational level boots in BC in mere weeks. You can take my advice or not, I do not care, but, I am giving you sound info. here that WILL work.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I just bought my second pair of La Sportiva Glacier boots. Tough heavy, waterproof, and with gaitors I even wear them in snow. I have worn many in my life and these are some of the best.
Can be tough to break in!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think that fit is everything when you talk boots, and the brand that better fits me feet, ergo the best boot for me is Lowa.

When the mountain gets more technical, the super light Sportivas Trango S Evo are hard to beat for me.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
STP has Kenetreks for $200 if you have a coupon;

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kenetrek-boots-mountain-400-10%e2%80%9d-hunting-boots-waterproof-insulated-leather-for-men~p~4675w/?filterString=hunting-gear~d~32%2F&colorFamily=01

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
...you will tear up Cabela's Meindls, Kennetreks, and other recreational level boots in BC in mere weeks

Ha! Kute, I'd love to see the look on Lance Kronberger's face after you informed him that he's only wearing recreational level boots.

http://www.kenetrek.com/testimonials.asp

[Linked Image]

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
His boots are one thing, but that axe is a POS.

SMC in Ferndale would hook him up with a proper 100cm walking axe with a lower end that won't fold in half if put in a bad spot...but maybe Lance Kronberger doesn't stumble in the boulders like I do. He sure puts his clients on a lot of big sheep.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not to get the thread too far off base, but I wonder why he doesn't just use a whippet?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,262
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.