Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by Ackman
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Don't forget that a diesel engine requires a hell of a lot more oil than a gasser, has 2 batteries, several filters, and diesel fuel is more expensive than gas. In cold weather they can be a pia, under 20 degrees they recommend that you leave your truck running or keep it parked inside a garage.

I'm not trying to convince you to not buy a diesel, obviously your the one that know's if it's worth it or not. I'm just saying I won't own one because it's not worth it to me. Upkeep is too much plus I don't like having to deal with them in the cold.

Diesel maintenance isn't any worse than with a gas engine. Fuel filters, that's about it. More oil.....can't imagine anyone cheaping out over an extra gallon or so of oil. Under 20* isn't any problem. It gets -20* here now and then but starting isn't a problem. And two batteries..... big deal, I replaced them after the first 6yrs.

Pretty stupid arguing diesel with somebody who doesn't own one but knows all about these things from what his best friend told him. Somebody who says diesel fuel is too expensive yet buys a gas hog that gets 1/2 the mileage with nowhere near the same power. Diesel costs the same or less than regular here.

Lighten up francis, your taking things a little personal over a conversationa bout a [bleep] truck. crazy

You keep saying dumb things.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lol........ have a nice day.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dick, when you get the truck, get a hold of me, and I'll set you up with a mechanic that'll do an EGR delete for you. Improves fuel economy by as much as 35%, and gives another 50 horses or so, and you never have to deal with all the EGR related maintenance issues. No brainer. JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Dutch,

I am about to do the EGR delete on my 6.0. The truck has been good, but the engine takes too long to spool. It has the stock tune and I didn't want to risk head/head gasket trouble with this engine until I got the energy to do a Cummins swap.

The question that I have is do you think the EGR delete will help the turbo spool quicker. I am a bit suspicious that there may have been a "de-tune" flash put in this truck and is causing a change in how the variable turbo reacts.

What are your thoughts?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Anybody here in the market for a '08 Dodge 3500? We found a good one last night but we have no use for a 1 ton. Diesel, manual tranny, 58k miles. They've had a flat bed on it and put the original back on to sell. The bed is brand new except they scratched it in a few places doing the swaps.

Are you aware that the Cummins engines don't need the exhaust additive? According to the local Chevy service manager, they saw it coming and designed a filter system that reburns the particles in the exhaust so they meet the requirements without the additive. He said that the EPA might outlaw their system in a couple years but for now it's good.
The Chevy engineers are nuts with their system. On the new ones, the tank is behind the right front wheel, outside the frame, and it hangs below the frame a few inches. It's guaranteed to get hit every time you drop the wheel over a rock or something. The service mgr said they have to put a skid plate for it on all the new diesel trucks they sell. You'd darn well better keep that tank full, too. If it runs out, you get towed. It will last for about 4 tanks of fuel.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How hard is an EGR delete to reverse? We don't have emissions testing here now, but I intend to have this truck a long time and sometime we might live where it's required.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well, we dunnit. Hopefully, this will last us until I'm too old to drive. '08 Ram 2500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 spd manual, not the top of the line trim but certainly all I can use. It's set up for hauling with axle air bags already installed.
I can't believe how hard these are to find in a long bed. I found only 1 other one in this condition and it was in Pendleton, OR, which is a long way from here. I did find a few with a lot more wear on them.

Now I'm looking at EGR delete kits. Dutch - what can you tell me?
I talked to the service mgr where we bought this. He's installed some delete kits (not at the dealership) and highly recommends it. He says some of the trucks he converted went from 17 to over 20 mpg with an amazing increase in power.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
damn fine looking rig! congrats!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice looking rig! Wish I was driving one like that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice truck, great find!

NRA Patron Member.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
go to cumminsforum.com or dieseltruck resource.com and start reading up on those trucks

one thing you can do right away is simply unplug the EGR valve.....you will get a check engine light but it will run fine and you are likely to pick up a couple of mpg

before you get into the EGR delete you will want to install a tuner and get rid of the DPF.....a straight pipe will go in place of the DPF

most liked tuners for those trucks are the Smarty or the Minimax.....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you start thinking about the tuners just buy the Smarty Jr. and be done with it. That's what I did for my 5.9 two years ago and have no complaints. I just leave mine on the tow mode (middle setting)and the throttle response is a lot better. When I put it back to the stock setting it feels like a slug. The Smarty Jr. is considered a very mild tuner and a "safe" box made to be used with stock trucks.

Nice looking rig by the way! I am planning on driving my 2006 until the wheels fall off. I picked up a set of the Cabelas floor mats (I think they are the Trail Gear or Trail Gear II) when I first got the truck. They cover most of the carpet and make one for the back seat area too. They are still going strong and save the carpet from muddy boots and spilled everything from my daughter. Highly recommend them.

Andy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aheider
If you start thinking about the tuners just buy the Smarty Jr. and be done with it.

Lots of recommendations for the Smarty's everywhere, but these days it's EFI that's quickly becomming the standard.

You can buy an EFI V2 and tune yourself, or go with one of the many different branded auto cal units.

cumminstuner
efi by ryan
starlite diesel

are a few of the recommended guys selling their brand/tunes on autocals

Skys the limit on what a guy can do, but even on stock trucks and just keeping a mild tune there's lots of nice options to smooth out the truck, pick up a little power and maybe a few mpg's

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Now I'm looking at EGR delete kits. Dutch - what can you tell me?
I talked to the service mgr where we bought this. He's installed some delete kits (not at the dealership) and highly recommends it. He says some of the trucks he converted went from 17 to over 20 mpg with an amazing increase in power.

[Linked Image]

The EGR is a horrible thing. It sends exhaust crap back into the engine and you wouldn't believe how much gunk builds up in the charge pipe and manifold. Getting rid of that thing is good if you don't need it for an emissions check.

The 6.7 is sluggish compared to a 5.9 and gets worse mileage. For emissions they altered the tuning. Put some good tuning in there and it will come alive and improve economy. For DMax the absolute best tuner is EFI Live. Nothing else has the same flexibility. It's recently become available for the 6.7 Cummins. EFI isn't a canned tune, it's a tuner.....a program that allows your laptop to talk with the ECM. Numbers are fed into the tables, then sent to the ECM. They can be tested and then custom altered to suit your particular truck and conditions. Call Zach at Starlite Diesel in Grantsville, Utah. He was an EFI beta tester for the Cummins tuner.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by cal74
Originally Posted by aheider
If you start thinking about the tuners just buy the Smarty Jr. and be done with it.

Lots of recommendations for the Smarty's everywhere, but these days it's EFI that's quickly becomming the standard.

You can buy an EFI V2 and tune yourself, or go with one of the many different branded auto cal units.

cumminstuner
efi by ryan
starlite diesel

are a few of the recommended guys selling their brand/tunes on autocals

Skys the limit on what a guy can do, but even on stock trucks and just keeping a mild tune there's lots of nice options to smooth out the truck, pick up a little power and maybe a few mpg's

For the money I still think the Smarty Jr. is a great option.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just out of curiosity, you guys will scream bloody murder when someone shoots a deer out of season but it doesn't bother you to break federal pollution laws with the EGR deletes?

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just out of curiosity, you guys will scream bloody murder when someone shoots a deer out of season but it doesn't bother you to break federal pollution laws with the EGR deletes?

Problem is with the EPA, don't know all the technical terms and how they measure pollution but to them it's better to have lower emissions and burn more fuel, than to burn less fuel per mpg and have slightly higher emissions while doing so.

Personally I'm guessing a truck that gets a couple mpg more per gallon of fuel is going to produce less emissions (on average) than the same truck getting a two mpg less overall on a tank.

Do the deletes, pick up some economy delete the 3rd injector event (via EFI) and pick up some more economy along with some increased timing, etc. and you'll have a much more efficient truck than the handicapped stuff manufacturers are forced to produce.

Doesn't make sense? EPA might fundamentally be a good idea, but it's an agency with their heads so far up their asses it's ridiculous.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No

No sleep lost here. I got into EGR deletes backwards from semi trucks. The EPA applies a one size fits all solution to reduce particulate and NOX emissions to reduce smog in cities.

I've lived 6 miles from Filer. You have no smog.

To be able to reach the smog reduction, the EPA mandate increased Semi (diesel) fuel consumption between 15 and 20%. Semis burn about 20% of this country's fuel. We're sending our finest overseas to secure oil, and then we mandate technology to increase the consumption by 20%? Semi's burn 95% of their fuel somewhere on I80 in Wyoming, or I70 in Colorado... not in the cities. What smog?

Insanity.

BTW, you can reach the smog reduction equally by running a hybrid natural gas/diesel engine. Look for it in the next couple of years.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You ask for information about EGR delete, and about reversing it if necessary. Then come up with this....."Just out of curiosity" do you even know wtf you want? Get your act together.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just learning more about the delete and it's implications. I can see that the delete is a way to promote independence from foreign oil by increasing mileage and a way to fight back against a rogue agency. However, there's also the moral issue of being legal. We're a nation of laws and ignoring a law we don't like isn't the way we've always done things here. There are ways to change a law but fighting to change a regulation made by a rogue agency seems pretty fruitless when they're backed by both the senate and the president. We claim to support the American way, but....

― George Orwell

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.