Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by allenday
KC, I like the way you think........ grin

I know of individuals who have purchased or traded their way into anywhere from 20 to 100 "elk rifles" over the last 30 + years. Most of these rifles end up getting experimented with at the range for a while, then traded off on something else. In other cases, those rifles get placed in the back of safe and they're forgotten about, while new "elk" or "all-around" rifles get added to the front row. Most of these rifles are seldom or never hunted with, and the way it works out, some of these guys have gone through 10 or more "elk" rifles for every bull they've actually put on the ground.

And I don't mean to sound too critical here, because in years gone by I've done the same sort of rifle recycling myself, waiting for the good ol' State of Confusion to generously throw me a bone and issue a resident elk tag via the drawing process.

I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time working out, planning hunts, and hunting. If you can't draw a tag and hunt elk every year at home, put in for other states. Either way, the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end............

AD

[/quote]

That's a great quote! If we had a "sticky thread" I'd say it sure should be one of the top ones in the list...

No quit gackin and get to filling arks....grin

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 07/27/12.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
How about a Burgess G33/40 in African Walnut? LOL!
Burgess metal work is awesome and the G33/40 has panache in spades.

Sort of kind of something like this... cool

[Linked Image]

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yep! Very nice!

ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB
Gene is one of a handful of rifle builders that keeps the time commitments which he makes. He is consistently reliable.

That has been my experience with Gene as well. If Gene says you will get a barrel, rifle, etc in eight months, you will have it in eight months.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Originally Posted by pointer
I see guys of modest means driving $45,000 Ford pickups which will be worth $10,000 after a few years. They finance them. Why not do the same for a rifle that will last a lifetime?
I agree wholeheartedly! However, getting my wife to view it that way is a whole 'nuther ball game. I'll take any tips on getting over THAT hurdle... wink

That is a tough one. Some women are untrainable. grin

Chet

Reason with her.... grin Tell her that havinng one really great rifle means you don't have to spend as much time at the range or loading bench,tweaking inferior rifles to find out what works.This means more time for her to drag you around malls and take her out to dinner.....or play with the kids. smile

Financially, it makes sense.....you spend less money in the long run because you will stop running around buying less expensive stuff that never quite cuts it,and gets sold for a "loss".Plus the savings in components because a Simillion rifle is going to "work" and shoot right from the get-go.

Unless you are one of those type folks who jumps around constantly with duplicitous cartridges that do pretty much the same things,one or two Simillion rifles will pretty much cover the gambit of BG hunting. cool

This might work....I don't know as I have never tried it myself. crazy

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeez, Bob, I'm a little torn by your post... on one hand, having two go to rifles sounds like a good idea. On the other hand, it also sounds like a lot less time fooling with stuff I like, and a lot less rifles.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I had an "arrangement" with a gun shop that saved me lots of dollars. I agreed to pay $100 to the owner for a one week use of any used rifle. At the end I could pay the balance of the full price and keep it or return it nice and clean etc. He got to keep the $100. I did this after buying numerous rifles which never got fired. I read about lever 45/70's and owned two. Not my thing. This was just one of many examples. I spent hours trying to decide which 416 was best but this was well before I had any hope of needing one. These diversions cost a lot of time and money.

I thought about the difference between the big 7's and the 270. Which was better? Actually either will work darn well if you can shoot. Much more wasted time.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Buy two, maybe three, rifles for hunting and then use them. You get to replace one if it fails you, not because you failed to perform. Actually, a single 757, 270, 280, 3006, or 7RM will handle about 100% of what needs doin in NA. It would be easy to pay for such a rifle of the very best construction.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK
Jeez, Bob, I'm a little torn by your post... on one hand, having two go to rifles sounds like a good idea. On the other hand, it also sounds like a lot less time fooling with stuff I like, and a lot less rifles.

KDK: Exactly. smile (Before I start I'm talking BG hunting rifles here,not for target or varmints)....Having a lot of rifles and shooting them all is a ton of fun.For decades I lived at the range, on the loading bench,in woodchuck fields all over New England,and in the fall 2-4 western/northern hunting trips between September and December was a "normal" season.

Just a guess but I would say 6-10 (or more)new rifles,whether builds, parts guns or factory,was a "normal" year.I shot and loaded for them all in a serious way;hunted with as many as I could.

After awhile it became apparent that a lot of the stuff was nothing but a warmed over version of something else that had existed earlier....that within broad parameters there was little to no difference in terminal effect among many of them since they all did pretty much the same things,so a lot of duplication was unneceessary.

It all boiled down to the bullets,not the cartridges;and I don't meanthe ability to "buck wind"...I mean terminal effect on animals,which is really the only thing that counts....the reason I get a chuckle when someone tells me a 280 is a better killer than a 270 or vice versa....this is mostly horseshidt.A 270 (or 280)with a good bullet will kill more game in more places than a 280 AI (and vice versa)with some tin foil piece of crap that explodes on a sunflower....you get my drift.

Besides,keeping up with it all moves it from the realm of "fun" to "negative addiction",and after awhile all you want to do is shoot and go hunting and stop the endless dicking around with components and work on your own skills with a rifle,which is far more important than another duplicitous cartridge,a bullet with a little more BC,or some other new "trick".

With the money spent, I could easily have afforded as many Echols or Simillion rifles as I wanted,but 2-4 of them and a couple of spare barrels would have been a better idea.And if you like to hunt and shoot,a smaller number of rifles(they don't have to be customs) and a spare barrel or two is a better investment than a whole bunch of silly builds chambered for every imagineable cartridge out there,and suffering under the delusion that one is a whole bunch better than the other at killing BG animals.(Here I'm talking about killing animals,not what works on gongs and rocks at 800 yards with sighters, which is certainly fun and educational,but in my world has next to nothing to do with killing BG. YMMV) I don't feel entitled to shoot at every animal I see regardless of distance or conditions.

There's a lot of merit in blowing the farm on a really good rifle or two and learning them well.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/01/12.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob...perfect!

IC B3

ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bob...perfect!

+1. Now, if we could only follow this sound advice.......... grin

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Chet, it's impossible! blushgrin

Until you get a lot older, that is....when you're younger you are just too intrepid and your better judgement is clouded by testosterone crazy

I will say this....since I got my Simillion-built Mashburn, there are a LOT fewer rifles round here.It gets downright impossible to justify very much else. frown

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Fewer rifles=more hunting AND more familiarity with what you use!

ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That is true. Unlike the majority of hunters, I actually decided that was the case while I was in my mid twenties. At that time, I decided I would get two really good rifles and be done with it. I bought two Echol's Legends, one in 300 Wby and another that has a 338 WM and a 416 RM barrel. I was pretty good for a while, then I decided I needed a pre-64 M70 in a nice wood stock, then a lighter rifle for backpack hunts, then a really nice rifle on a g33/40 action because I just had to have one. Then I was offerered a Legend in 270 W.C.F........

After all of that, I have decided that I could get by with the 270 Legend, 338 Simillion and the 416 Legend, but I already have the others so what the hell. grin

In all reality, I only have eight rifles, albeit pretty nice ones. That is part of the reason why I hang out on the CF.....I feel relatively normal when surrounded by some of the loonies on here. whistle

Chet

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fewer rifles=more hunting AND more familiarity with what you use!

I've long prescribed to this, not that I don't play with this or that rig from time to time. But, in the end they rarely make the cut and are just something to pass some boredom.

I'm a firm believer in being intimate with your rifle and to do some takes time. My 3 main rigs have been with me a total of 84 years, and between those 3 I've went thru something like 14 barrels. So, most days I feel fairly in tune with them. Just not on Mondays...... cool

Dober

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
They are all in the same class. Each one does things a little different but when it comes to feeding and accuracy they all perform flawless. Mark does not make wood stocks for his rifles and is a little cheaper than Gene. Mark also builds rifles on all rifle actions.

ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I agree. The differences are fairly subtle and you can largely make your decision based on where you live, who you want to work with and how much you can spend.

Chet

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Very true.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
it pays to buy a really great rifle that you will use for a long time.You will likely forget how much you paid the first time you hunt with it;and over the years of use, it won't matter anyway.
smile

+1

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Guys, interest rates are at record lows. Time to get that perfect rifle. Will gladly supply Gene's contact information. You snooze, you loose!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,531
Posts18,472,723
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.