Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Friends,

I was messing around in an AR shop yesterday and kinda went crazy. Yes, Milwaukie, Oregon has a dedicated AR shop and it's pretty amazing.

Anyway, I have my S&W M&P M-15TS with the H-1 Aimpoint for our bedroom gun. Loaded with 1-up and 29-down, that should be fantastic for things that go bump-bump-bump in the night.

But I got to thinking, while I was seeing boo-coo ARs in the gunshop, that the S&W is a super carbine ... 14�-inch barrel with a minimal pinned vortex hider. Perfect for criters in the house and such.

How about a RIFLE ... an AR with a slightly longer barrel, made of top-grade parts and intended ranges beyond those of the effectiveness of my S&W carbine w/Aimpoint???

Hmmmm.

So I kinda worked on a wish list, looking at parts and pieces and came up with the following rifle (which I will pick up in two hours). Please bear in mind I am greatly ignorant of AR nomenclature, so forgive any stupid names I might give stuff grin

Noveske Lower - Generation 2
Noveske NSR Rail
Black Hole Barrel w/ Polygonal Rifling, 3-groove, 18-inchs, 1-8" 5.56 chamber
Wilson Single Stage Trigger
BCM Gunfighter Charge Handle - Medium
Nickle Boron (NiB-X) Bolt Carrier Group
MagPul STR Buttstock

There was some more stuff and it is all of like quality ... NICE!!

Anyway, I had a blast finding cool and wonderful parts for my new AR-15 RIFLE.

I've got a few scopes left in my safe (that I haven't given to worthy kids) and either a Leupold 3.5-10X40 or a 4.5-14X40 would look good on my new rifle. Prolly with a LaRue LT-104 detatchable mount.

I DO BELIEVE this dawg will hunt.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
My coyote calling rifle is similar in build, sporting a 20" bull barrel..... I have it Set it up with a 3.5-10x40 Leupold and have been very thrilled with it!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Steve,

You are getting crazy over this AR stuff!

I plan on getting my first in the next couple of weeks. My old buddies and I have a "Nanny Blast" every couple of years. 20 points for a head shot, 15 for neck and 10 for body. I plan on bringing a very accurate RRA to the hunt and doing some precision shooting. My plan is that if I see a herd of deer I might be able to get off a couple of accurate shots before they run off. I've won the compeition twice with my .264 but just looking for something a little different. Will probably order one in .223 though I am tempted by the 6.8.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
My coyote calling rifle is similar in build, sporting a 20" bull barrel..... I have it Set it up with a 3.5-10x40 Leupold and have been very thrilled with it!

Excellent. That is very good news, my friend.

I wanted to keep it kinda light, but still be a tad heavier than my carbine and with a few inches longer barrel. The rifle still won't be a heavyweight.

Just for [bleep] and giggles, I'm going to take a flier and try the Black Hole barrel with polygonal rifling. Locally, they have a fantastic reputation for being crazy accurate, a breeze to clean (no rifling edges at all) and FAST.

http://www.majorpandemic.com/2012/02/black-hole-weaponry-ltm-ar15-barrel.html

And if the Black Hole turns out to produce a turd (Steve made a little joke grin), I'll throw a Krieger or some top-drawer barrel at it. No problem.

Whatever, it should be a blast

God Bless,

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Steve,

I plan on getting my first in the next couple of weeks. My old buddies and I have a "Nanny Blast" every couple of years. 20 points for a head shot, 15 for neck and 10 for body. I plan on bringing a very accurate RRA to the hunt and doing some precision shooting. My plan is that if I see a herd of deer I might be able to get off a couple of accurate shots before they run off. I've won the compeition twice with my .264 but just looking for something a little different. Will probably order one in .223 though I am tempted by the 6.8.

My friend,

Please don't tell anybody, but I've killed a few pickup loads of mule deer and not a few antelope with a .223. The 55-grain Hornady Spire Point simply kills them dead ... and quite often the bullets exit, for pity's sake.

The 5.56/.223 is a totally amazing cartridge. Incredibly accurate and it surely kills way out of it's league.

Please share your new rifle with us.

May God Bless You,

Steve

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just for [bleep] and giggles, I'm going to take a flier and try the Black Hole barrel with polygonal rifling. Locally, they have a fantastic reputation for being crazy accurate, a breeze to clean (no rifling edges at all) and FAST.

Steve
Keep us informed on the performance of the BHW barrel. I have a 16" on a Wilson upper that I have not shot yet but I hope to get it out in the next couple of days.

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Oklahoma,

The shop is tiny, but it is dedicated to strictly ARs. The guys totally know what they are doing.

Curt, the owner, knowing I've popped off a about a million rounds in my long life, told me "Steve, given a good benchrest, a decent shooter and using benchrest techniques, you should easily get .50" to .70" five-shot groups out of BHW barrels. I love them and they NEVER come back to haunt me."

By the way, Curt will make a gun deal right, no matter what. If the BHW barrel is a turd, he will gladly trade me out of it ... full credit.

OK, I think I'll take him at his word.

When I got down there, the entire rifle was Noveske, except for the NiB-X bolt and the Gunslinger Charge Handle.

Actually, my new rifle is GORGEOUS

Here are some photos:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a180/dogzapper/ARSideView007.jpg[/img]

I'm drooling all over this almost-totally Noveske rifle of mine. The Wilson trigger is wonderful.

Anyway, I'm absolutely EXCITED.

God Bless,

Steve

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That is a nice looking rifle! Looks like a Nanny Blast winner for sure!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
That is an incredible set-up Steve....you done GOOD!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Damn, I feel like I am a new bridegroom .... simply cannot keep my hands off this rifle.

Hey, LaRue has their OBR (which Curt had in stock!!), the Optimized Battle Rifle. And it is a really nice rifle, but not nearly what I'm stroking right now. grin

For an acronym-lover, maybe this is my Noveske SFR ... Serious F.....g Rifle. Yeah, I like that, my Noveske SFR. gringringrin

Dang, I'm loving this rifle. I wonder if Karen would mind if I took it to bed with us tonight???

Blessings,

Steve

PS. These are the fanastic folks that helped me with my SFR: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fi...count-shooters-supply-awesome-store.html

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oklahoma,

The shop is tiny, but it is dedicated to strictly ARs. The guys totally know what they are doing.

Curt, the owner, knowing I've popped off a about a million rounds in my long life, told me "Steve, given a good benchrest, a decent shooter and using benchrest techniques, you should easily get .50" to .70" five-shot groups out of BHW barrels. I love them and they NEVER come back to haunt me."

By the way, Curt will make a gun deal right, no matter what. If the BHW barrel is a turd, he will gladly trade me out of it ... full credit.

When I got down there, the entire rifle was Noveske, except for the NiB-X bolt and the Gunslinger Charge Handle.

So did you get the BHW barrel or did he use a Noveske barrel?

Last edited by Oklahoma; 08/21/12.

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old friend of mine you have the fever grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oklahoma
Oklahoma,

So did you get the BHW barrel or did he use a Noveske barrel?

Black HOLE barrel, Wilson single-stage trigger, NiB-X bolt .... And the rest of the rifle is Noveske.

Black Hole is a local legend and I have seen them shoot beyond spooky-good. And if the BHW barrel craps out, Curt will trade me out of it at my cost.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Here are some photos:

[Linked Image]

Great looking setup, DZ. I have a Stag lower and a Timney trigger, that will eventually get mated to a Noveske 18" upper like yours. I'm thinking all-around hunting 5.56...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There's no rule that says a carbine-length AR can't also be a great scoped shooter. Here's one my newer toys, an R-15 carbine with a Leupy VX-3 3.5-10 X 50. Wouldn't shoot so great with the crappy trigger it came with, but it routinely shoots very tight groups since I dropped in Timney's AR trigger. It's now one of my favorite predator rifles.

[Linked Image]

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Here are some photos:

[Linked Image]

Great looking setup, DZ. I have a Stag lower and a Timney trigger, that will eventually get mated to a Noveske 18" upper like yours. I'm thinking all-around hunting 5.56...

Friend Tex,

The balance of my little S&W with the 14�-inch pencil barrel is superb for down-the-hall two-legged critter killing. I was a bit worried about the balance of this one ... adding 3�-inches and a considerably heavier barrel (the diameter at 18-inches is .740", so we're looking at about a four-contour tube).

Here are the precise stats: The rifle weighs exactly seven pounds, six ounces. The balance point is not at the front of the trigger guard, nor is it at the front of the magazine well ... it is right in the middle of the mag well. And by-damn, the balance feels PERFECT.

Add a Leupold 3.5-10X40, a LaRue LT-1-4 mount and a short-mag of twenty rounds ... We'll have a perfectly-balanced rifle that weighs slightly over eight and one-half pounds. The resultant rifle is heavy enough to be steady for long-range kills, yet light enough that I can hump a few miles with it.

Even better, I have not duplicated my hall sweeper; I have a dedicated short range carbine that handles like a whip AND this new Noveske-based rifle is an up-to-400-yards chopper.

All in all, this is not a bad combination of rifles.

God Bless,

Steve

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Your rifle and mine sound a lot alike, although mine is a bit chubbier, but it balances well and I have shot a few coyotes out past 250 yards by merely placing my elbow on my knee... One running coyote that was hit so perfectly there had to have been another shooter, I was amazed. You will be pleased how that handles on the predator calling stands and over sand bags! To top it off, shes as sexy as can be!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
In fact, I'd name her Tyra.... After Tyra Banks!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Steve,

My friend,

Please don't tell anybody, but I've killed a few pickup loads of mule deer and not a few antelope with a .223. The 55-grain Hornady Spire Point simply kills them dead ... and quite often the bullets exit, for pity's sake.

The 5.56/.223 is a totally amazing cartridge. Incredibly accurate and it surely kills way out of it's league.

Please share your new rifle with us.

May God Bless You,

Steve

Steve, you had any luck with the Sierra 65 grain game king? That bullet over varget is simply amazingly accurate in my Colt 6720. I have 200 more being delivered this week, and want to shoot them at little 150-170 pound White tails in October. Thoughts??

I have a hankering for a new rifle, all my guns are 16 inch as well! I see they make an LTM with the 3 groove barrel.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great looking rifle Steve. It looks all business. I really like the handguard. The 18"-20" rifles is where I find my fun. I bet you're really going to enjoy this one.

I like your choice on the optics too. Add a set of M1's to the scope and you'll be good to go.

Terry

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (300_savage, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 673, 18 invisible), 1,249 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,127
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.