B

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
His camera told the whole story,broke all the rules and was weeded out of the gene pool. Then the parky rangers killed the bear who did what was natural for g-bears.They otta get fired. magnum man

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bear being killed doesn't bother me, to many of the damn things anyway. Besides ignoring the rules of the park, he also ignored a smart saying, " if your gonna be stupid, you better be tough" ( talking about the tourist)

Last edited by Joel/AK; 08/26/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Regardless of the actual happenings, the result is a sad event for the man and for the park.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Regardless of the actual happenings, the result is a sad event for the man and for the park.

So true! Mistakes were made but in the end a horrible outcome for both. The animal rights activicts and media are the only ones who benefit from this.

Last edited by bamagun01; 08/26/12.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 406_SBC

Pardon my French, but f$%# the park. Way too much of this country has been taken from us and given to the fed govt. If this was an open to hunting area it's possible that the bears might actually have a fear of man.

--"So true! Mistakes were made but in the end a horrible outcome for both. The animal rights activicts and media are the only ones who benefit from this."

Mistakes were made? Are you serious?

A mistake is forgetting your sunglasses. This however is asking for a quick and permanent dirt nap.

IMHO

Last edited by kroo88; 08/26/12.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I feel for the guys parents and family. Not an easy call to get or give..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was in Yellowstone a few years ago with the wife and kids. We came around this corner in the road, and there was a grizzly sow and her two cubs in a meadow right off the road -- about 50 yards. A few more cars pulled over, and pretty soon there were 20 cars, about 75 people, and a park ranger.

I was a little unnerved about how people kept stepping off the road and into the meadow. They would inch toward the bears, and the rangers would call them back. "I remember thinking, these people are idiots. This is what Darwin meant by "survival of the fittest."

All it would have taken was for that sow to perceive that movement toward her cubs, however slight, was a threat, and she would have closed that distance in a second. It would have been all over but the crying.

Last edited by richardca99; 08/26/12.

Chris
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Custer State Park in SoDak I watched countless fools approaching bull Bison. Several have been killed there and Yellowstone. Sorry, but I am not sympathetic for this level of stupidity.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Don't poke the bear. Only a maroon.... And California is a given.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have sympathy for STUPID either in this situation or in Treadwell's case. Esp. if it's a granola cruncher.
The bear shouldn't have been shot regardless.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 08/27/12.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
The bear shouldn't have been shot regardless

Dissagree,

The bear was and should have been killed. Don't need to have a grizz knowing how easy a meal 2 legged critters are.

With that said, the fella was given enough information to more than likely avoid his own demise. He was (at the least) a large reason the bear is dead. He (the hiker) chose wrongly, and (pardon the non-intentional pun) got bit by his decision not to play by the established rules.

Another thread several days older suggested "people are stupid." This fella is part and parcel what it was referring to methinks...

bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I blame Disney. Grizzly bears will eat your face. Way too much grizzly bear propaganda on TV.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That bear needed to die, any bear that made a cache of a human, and guarding it is a behavior I do not want to see continue.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If we'd only legalize drugs, we wouldn't have these problems.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
The bear shouldn't have been shot regardless

Dissagree,

The bear was and should have been killed. Don't need to have a grizz knowing how easy a meal 2 legged critters are.

With that said, the fella was given enough information to more than likely avoid his own demise. He was (at the least) a large reason the bear is dead. He (the hiker) chose wrongly, and (pardon the non-intentional pun) got bit by his decision not to play by the established rules.

Another thread several days older suggested "people are stupid." This fella is part and parcel what it was referring to methinks...

bhtr

sure would make the park the "go to spot" for a interesting time ...the bear was being a bear....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kk alaska
That bear needed to die, any bear that made a cache of a human, and guarding it is a behavior I do not want to see continue.

Couldn't agree more kk! + 100000000000

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm betting this idiot kept inching forward just to see how close a picture he could get for bragging rights. The bear either took umbrage at this, or just suddenly noticed an easy meal close by. Bigger than squirrel, anyway. Or mistook the man for a caribou until too late, then decided to eat what he'd killed.

Remember who was stalking who, here.

What kk and Scop. said.

They Dynamic Duo (Disney/Darwin) strikes again.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by watch4bear
If we'd only legalize drugs, we wouldn't have these problems.

Snort! grin

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,345 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.