Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just 2 simple questions.

(1) How many actually have lost a Quality Scope (Leupold or better) due to shooting from a Lead Sled.?

(2) How many have actually broken a Weather Stable Stock (Not Wood) due to shooting from a Lead Sled.?

Answers only need to pertain to the 2 above questions and not turn into comments about your manly ability to shoot 1000 full house rounds out of an Elephant Gun in your Tee Shirt while leisurely passing time on a sunny afternoon grin

Just the facts, thanks smile

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
never..either one..not a problem!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rifle
never..either one..not a problem!

This.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My .243 broke the lead sled.... grin

Actually, I've never used one.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My questions are obviously inspired by responses given to gahuntertom's post about these Lead Sled things grin

It's a direct question and I'd like to get a feel for the actual scope and stock destruction anyone has experienced due to the use of the Lead Sled.

I'm not talking about the Walmart blister pack scopes or the foolishness of plopping a wood stock in there. Heck,I've broke the wrist on a Winchester 1897 12 gauge by shooting from my shoulder (Wood ain't hard to break). No I am talking about an all weather type of stable stock (either laminated, fiberglass, carbon, etc).

I find it interesting that a few thousand 22 pound F-Class rifles, shooting a couple thousand rounds, don't seem to have the ill effects upon scopes that a similarly weighted Lead Sled is said to have.

So, let's have it guys...

Again...

Who here has actually blown out a "Quality Scope" (Leupold or better) or broke a "Weather Stable" stock (Laminate/Fiberglass/Carbon/Tupperwear) due to shooting in a Lead Sled.?

Just the facts..

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nope and nope.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have repaired 3 or 4 laminated stocks that were damaged in a Lead Sled. The first had the rear swivel stud completely torn out. The butt support extension on the bottom came close to contacting the stud. When the recoil pad compressed from recoil the stud was torn right out of the stock. Two others developed tang splits, trigger web splits and recoil shoulder splits. These wre heavy recoiling rifles and were not partciularly well bedded before they were brought to me for repair. Two were Lapuas and one 378 WBY. I think there was a fourth but can't recall the specifics. No synthetics that have come to my attention. I have no idea how the users had the sleds weighted. I quit doing public stock work about 3 years ago so that`s the extent of my exposure to their effects.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Stocker,

Thank you for sharing these details.

Pretty obvious that this sloppy handling within the cradle (Butt Extension) of the Sled by the shooter in order to tear a sling stud out.

Okay, still waiting on those reports where synthetic stocks have been broken in the Sled... I've "heard" it's hell on stocks but now I can't get one single testimony where a quality synthetic stock has been broken. Anyone..?

Pics would be awesome grin

And where are all those guys that have had their good quality scopes broken by this destroyer of scopes..?

Let's hear about it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have seen 2 stocks broken on lead sleds. One a Ruger walnut stock and another a Tikka. Ruger was a 338WM and the Tikka a 30/06.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Thank you Scott..!

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 400 plus rounds through my 500 Jeffery, 100 or so using a lead sled. My standard load is a 570g TSX or A-Frame at 2300 fps, but have gone as low as 2150 and as high as 2510 fps. I've been lucky, my Leupold 1.5-5x scope is still fine as is my pretty wooden stock. I only use the lead sled for load development or initial sight in, but am too wimpy to do those things without it. I started without and got an Epic bruise! If the scope breaks I'll send it back to Leupold. If the stock breaks I'll put in a synthetic and CeraKote the metal. In every cloud there's a silver lining or a lightning bolt waiting to hit you!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by colorado; 08/30/12.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Repaired a Weatherby stock damaged by a Lead Sled. I hate the fuggin things.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A synthetic "Weatherby" Swampy..?

Like I said earlier. "wood ain't hard to break... I've broken it shooting from my shoulder.."

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image] [/quote]

I'm a little off topic here but.... THAT is a beauty.!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
FWIW,

I use a lead sled with 40 lbs of shot. A conservative estimate, I've probably shot 25 rifles chambered from 17 hebee to 458 lott off this rest, both wood and synthetic in the last two years with nary' a problem.

[Linked Image]
I usually remove the rear stud before I shoot. Easy and saves problems.

The front support is adujstable front to rear.
[Linked Image]
Mauser 98, 35 Whelen

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little pipe insulation that you can buy at Lowes, Home Depot or most hardware stores works fine for absorbing recoil.

[Linked Image]

Another tool, used judiciously, works fine.

Best

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/30/12.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

geedubya,

What about the Redfield.. how do you keep the cross-hairs and glass in that optic.?

I hear that the "tool" destroys scopes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know why splitting wood stocks "doesn't count" in your poll.

Being that most rifles are still stocked using the stuff.

For the record, I've seen a Sako 75 in 300WSM that split at the wrist whilst being shot on one.

Was shown a 700 stock in .300 WM that was split right behind the slot for the recoil lug. They took the rifle apart and discovered this after the groups started opening up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty much destroyed the laminated stock on a RMC 50 caliber flintlock. 6 pound rifle, 410 grain conical over 100 grains of Swiss FFFg in a lead sled with 2 bags on board. Should have known better, but I really wanted to shoot a bison with that rifle.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
John Moses,

I eliminated wood stocks simply because I have split, cracked, and completely broken them while shooting them against my shoulder. (Wood ain't hard to break)
I have not split, cracked, or completely broken synthetic stocks by shooting them against my shoulder.

So, to keep all things equal, I want to see if those things (synth stocks) which have NOT broken against my shoulder are breaking when shot from the Lead Sled.

Hope that helps in the understanding as to why smile

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This rifle was built by a fellow named Wayne Barnett. He was a long time gunsmith in the Pasadena, Texas area. I do believe this rifle was built in the eighties. I've owned it close to 10 years.

It has made at least a dozen trips to the range. Before I started using a lead sled, I used a similar rest and strapped it down to the bench with ratchet straps. I usually take 5 or 6 rifles to the range when I go and make at least a 1/2 day of it.

The old redfield seems to work fine in the field

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I took it to the range last Sunday, two groups out of a clean barrel. First is with 225 gr Spitzers
[Linked Image]

The second is with 225 gr Nosler Accubonds

[Linked Image]

I'm using the Accubonds.

And a couple of adjustments to get ready for pokin' porkers this weekend.

Shot one, too far left, so back right a touch (no clicks on this scope)
Shot two, good, but up a touch just for grins.

Shot 3 is where I left off

[Linked Image]

I'm off to the lease tomorrow. See if I can't poke a hill country hoglet or two with it this weekend.

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,387
Posts18,527,654
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.