-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been a regular shooter for well over 60 years and have never even SEEN a lead sled.

GB1

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by zimhunter
I have been a regular shooter for well over 60 years and have never even SEEN a lead sled.

So then, It's safe to say that you've never broken a synthetic stock or blown a scope due to using one... grin

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
GWB,

Thanks for posting more pics, Great Hog.

Best to you on your hunt tomorrow..!

I hope you have success with that awesome 35, I too love my Whelen..!!!

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
358wsm,
Thanks for the kind words.
Had hoped to get away today but that didn't work out. Will stay through Monday though. Dove Season opens the 9/1 so I'm taking a shotgun, some bacon and some jalepenos. Hard to beat bacon wrapped, jalapeno stuffed dove breasts grilled over mesquite coals. Do a little varmint calling, maybe bust a hog or two. We also trap and snare hogs and that can be fun also. All and all, hoping to cure the symptoms of SDD (Shooting Deficit Disorder).

Best

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/30/12.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If I said I didn't envy every aspect of that, more than just a little, I'd be lying. cry

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We all should be so lucky.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swampman700

We all should be so lucky.

How so Swampy, and why..?

Seriously, I've conducted a little Campfire poll here to gain honest information based upon experiences of members, and guess what.

Here's the facts that have come in so far..

(1) Not one report of any solid stock (other than wood which is often broken, split, or cracked when simply shot from the shoulder) being damaged.

(2) Not one report of a quality scope being damaged due to the Sled.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Just 2 simple questions.

(1) How many actually have lost a Quality Scope (Leupold or better) due to shooting from a Lead Sled.?

(2) How many have actually broken a Weather Stable Stock (Not Wood) due to shooting from a Lead Sled.?

Answers only need to pertain to the 2 above questions and not turn into comments about your manly ability to shoot 1000 full house rounds out of an Elephant Gun in your Tee Shirt while leisurely passing time on a sunny afternoon grin

Just the facts, thanks smile

............Answer to #1...........No scopes lost!

Answer to #2..........Never damaged a stock.

Why?.........Because I have never used nor will I ever use any lead (pussy) sled.

If anyone needs a lead sled to enjoy bench shooting and/or to tighten up the groupings because of flinching, then that cartridge really isn`t for that individual.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bigsqueeze,

That philosophy would also suggest to include that,

".... if anyone needs a recoil pad, a PAST pad, and even hearing protection to enjoy bench shooting and/or to tighten up the groups because of flinching, then that cartridge really isn't for that individual..."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bigsqueeze,

That philosophy would also suggest to include that,

".... if anyone needs a recoil pad, a PAST pad, and even hearing protection to enjoy bench shooting and/or to tighten up the groups because of flinching, then that cartridge really isn't for that individual..."

............Well I`ll disagree with your analogy comparison.

Recoil pads are usually built in to the stock butt and come with the rifle. Slip on recoil pads and padded shooting vests are additional options for those who wish to own a heavier recoiling cartridge, which as aids will help with any recoil or flinching issues.

Compared to the simpler and far more convenient aids I mention above, lead sleds are bulky, inconvenient, a PIA to tote around, and do diminish imo the development of better shooting skills (eliminating bad habits) either with shooting positions or to correct flinching.

And regardless of whatever centerfire round is being fired, hearing protection should always be worn anyway.

Using a slip on pad, a shooting vest or both to correct flinching and to reduce felt recoil is all well and good. But if one has to use a lead sled to better enjoy bench shooting his particular cartridge, to reduce flinching and/or to achieve better groups, then that cartridge imo isn`t for that person.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess sand bags and shooting bags are for puzzies too? Only way to shoot is free handed or from the hip like the "dead man"
The sled is merely a rest if you choose to load it up with weight and use it as a recoil suppressor then take what ya get

And no to broken scope or stock but I don't load her up with weight

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I guess sand bags and shooting bags are for puzzies too? Only way to shoot is free handed or from the hip like the "dead man"
The sled is merely a rest if you choose to load it up with weight and use it as a recoil suppressor then take what ya get
................Hey Georgie! I never mentioned anything about not using shooting bags, sand bags or a tripod. I use them.

Those are shooting rests which shouldn`t be equated entirely to a lead sled. A lead sled is not only a rest, but it is also a complete recoil nullifier for the most part.

And to suggest from my posts that I meant any type free hand shooting from the bench is idiocy on your part.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
But anyway, getting back to the OP.... grin

Just 2 simple questions.

(1) How many actually have lost a Quality Scope (Leupold or better) due to shooting from a Lead Sled.?

(2) How many have actually broken a Weather Stable Stock (Not Wood) due to shooting from a Lead Sled.?

Answers only need to pertain to the 2 above questions and not turn into comments about your manly ability to shoot 1000 full house rounds out of an Elephant Gun in your Tee Shirt while leisurely passing time on a sunny afternoon grin

Just the facts, thanks smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Put 20 rounds downrange from a bench with my 500 Jeffery without a sissy pad or other aid, and I guarantee you'll have either an epic bruise or flinch or both ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by colorado

Put 20 rounds downrange from a bench with my 500 Jeffery without a sissy pad or other aid, and I guarantee you'll have either an epic bruise or flinch or both ...
............That`s why just about all of us including me don`t own and would not own a a 500 Jeffy.

For the heaviest recoiling bigs, then I suppose the puzzy sleds would have their place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I guess sand bags and shooting bags are for puzzies too?

No, they are for people who actually want to touch their rifle when shooting it.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sooooooooo Swampy, when it comes to "touching," what part of the firearm do the sand bags contact, that the sled doesn't..?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by rifle
never..either one..not a problem!

This.

this this

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can scarcely touch the rifle in one of those Rube Goldberg contraptions.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh... I see. Thanks for the response.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,415
Posts18,528,222
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.