Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by dogzapper
I do believe that the Noveske with the Black Hole is going to be a shooter.

Steve,

Who provides Black Hole with their barrel blanks? Looks like all parties concerned know what they are doing...

John

Friend John,

I have no idea who supplies BHW's barrel blanks.

Black Hole Weaponry is seemingly a local legend. The rifling is unusual; a three-grove polygonal ... no lands and grooves, just hills and valleys grin And you cannot believe how a patch whips through.

In theory, it kinda makes sense that the polygonal rifling would clean up like a darn and it should foul less ... or am I missing something???

http://blackholeweaponry.com/

As I stated, I've only fired three five-shot groups for record and all three were pretty remarkable; especially the first group which was basically one-hole with five lobes on it (a little under .300"!!!!!!!)

I just heard about Black Hole from our local tiny AR-15 shop and they love them. The price is VERY RIGHT and they SHOOT.

After firing just three groups, I can say that I am a bit impressed, as well. Of course, only time and sany, many groups will prove the barrel to me, but for now, I can say that after writing over one-hundred feature articles testing rifles, I've NEVER had one shoot it's first three consecutive groups so tight ... never.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
I called Curt today and ordered a SFR!

ddj

What's he building for you, my friend?

By the way, Curt is probably 55 or so, kinda portly and totally knows his stuff. Two guys who work there are about the same age; they are calm, been there and done that. All, if you could meet them, would totally impress you ... not much talk, just fact.

When they build a rifle out of best parts, they take their time and build it as if it were there own. They LOVE this stuff and that is absolutely why they do it.

When Curt asked and I told him about how my Noveske/Black Hole was shooting, he wasn't surprised. I suspect had he been at the rifle range and seen me shoot three consecutive five-shot groups with an aggregate (average group size) of .38", it would have blown his socks off.

Curt and his friends are the real deal. Tiny, tiny shop and fantastic, caring AR-15 men.

PLEASE let us know the exact prescription he's building for you.

God Bless,

Steve

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I drove by that shop the other day but didn't have time to stop in. Have to do that next weekend for sure; sounds like a neat place.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Oregon45
I drove by that shop the other day but didn't have time to stop in. Have to do that next weekend for sure; sounds like a neat place.

Yep, tiny doesn't even describe it grin Beside a "We buy GOLD and Platinum" joint and an RV Repair shop.

My little jewelry store started just like that. My shop was so small that I had to go outside to change my mind grin

My friend, you will enjoy youe visit. Be sure to take your Visa and/or your checkbook.

Blessings,

Steve

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Steve my friend,

I called Curt and told him I was looking for a Pre Election AR that I could use for hunting situations. I think his recommendation was almost exactly your gun. I did mention Cerakoting some of the pieces in Patriot Brown. He is emailing the exact specs. I'll let you know when he emails me.

Thanks,

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Steve my friend,

I called Curt and told him I was looking for a Pre Election AR that I could use for hunting situations. I think his recommendation was almost exactly your gun. I did mention Cerakoting some of the pieces in Patriot Brown. He is emailing the exact specs. I'll let you know when he emails me.

Thanks,

ddj

COOL,

He offered Cerecoating on mine, as well, but I was so anxious to get it that I said "No, but thanks."

So, I have no idea how long it takes, nor what the charges are.

To say I am happy with my rifle would be a gross understatement. It is superb.

I cannot wait to hear what Curt e-mails. You are going to LOVE it, my friend.

Steve

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I emailed Andy Baker from Black Hole and was here is is his response:

"Everything that we do is in house. We get the steel in 12 foot lengths and cut it to order. Then we drill, ream, and rifle each piece of raw stock. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Thanks."

Seems like it's working for them. I think I'm going to give them a try for my AR. I wonder if they'll do standard barrels in addition to AR barrels...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

I wonder if they'll do standard barrels in addition to AR barrels...

John

I'd guess YES.

The polygonal rifling fascinates me. And, from my extensive trial of a whole three five-shot groups grin they apparently are super accurate.

By the way, the barrelmaker's art starts with perfectly deep-hole drilling and then gun-boring the bore. I did an article on barrels several years ago and interviewed literally every GREAT barrelmaker. The great ones did their own deep-hole drilling and gun-boring.

Black Hole Weaponry has a fabulous reputation here in the Portland area.

I gave them a try, as per Curt's (local AR shop) suggestion and I'm delighted.

Please keep us up to speed on everything you find out.

God Bless,

Steve

Below is a photo Noveske sent me today:

[Linked Image]

I about pissed my pants with laughter.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
That kid's way smarter than most voters...

I'm with you on the polygonal. I sure don't see any disadvantage to it. I need to have a polygonal guilt edged PPC chambered up and see how it would do in comparison to conventional rifling...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Friend John,

I can see why the polygonal would clean up like a whiz, too. And the three-groove makes sense; lotsa sense.

I was shooting Winchester Supreme (Black Box) 55-grain Ballistic Silvertips. After the twenty rounds, I ran a wet patch through my barrel and got a little black. And, in having driven a few million patches in my very long life, the barrel felt incredibly smoooooth ... actually smoother than I've ever felt.

I do believe that we are onto something, my friend.

Steve

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have emailed him as well, I am looking for a lighter barrel but want to talk to him.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Curt is a good guy. Talk to him.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Curt seems to be First Class. I can see why he and Steve get along well.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I called Curt today and ordered a SFR!

ddj

What's he building for you, my friend?

By the way, Curt is probably 55 or so, kinda portly and totally knows his stuff. Two guys who work there are about the same age; they are calm, been there and done that. All, if you could meet them, would totally impress you ... not much talk, just fact.

When they build a rifle out of best parts, they take their time and build it as if it were there own. They LOVE this stuff and that is absolutely why they do it.

When Curt asked and I told him about how my Noveske/Black Hole was shooting, he wasn't surprised. I suspect had he been at the rifle range and seen me shoot three consecutive five-shot groups with an aggregate (average group size) of .38", it would have blown his socks off.

Curt and his friends are the real deal. Tiny, tiny shop and fantastic, caring AR-15 men.

PLEASE let us know the exact prescription he's building for you.

God Bless,

Steve

Here are the build details for Special order SFR AR:

Noveske Gen 2 lower
Wilson single stage trigger
Noveske NSR rail
Ni Bix bolt
BCM charge handle
Rainier Arms brake
Magpul STR stock black
H buffer
Magpul + grip black
Upper, lower and rail coat in Patriot Brown

Thanks for the help Steve!

ddj

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Curt also suggested I go with the Black Hole 18" barrel.

ddj

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

ddj,

That is precisely the rifle I had him build for me, except for the Patriot Brown sections. Dang, that will be a spectacular rifle, my friend.

Yours, with the brown, will be way classier than mine.

And I'll bet it will be an unbelievable SHOOTER!!!!!

Steve

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Curt must know what works!

ddj

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My simple Daniel Defense M4V7 5.56 with a Burris 2-7X FF-II and Geiselle SSA trigger is a <1" rifle.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have the same upper with a pencil barrel and and LMT lower smile

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
jimmyp, EDM, Have yall shot any 64 gr pp or 62gr tsx out of those Daniels? Thx

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 117LBS, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,982 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,978
Posts18,480,844
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.