Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's the kind of bet that gets made in the county rec-yard, only there losses (and probably wins too) involve showers.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logcutter

Bring it like a man...

Can you keep that homo ass rider chit in jail?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I feel I got the rifle end of things pretty figured out and it isn't very hard. I could use many different combos and not be handicapped.
Given this I try to invest most of my time in learning to think like an elk and sending rounds down range with the clubs I got.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Can you be a man and back up your mouth?

Whomever questions my address,please pm Big Redhead and ask him as he and his lovely family and friends came to my house and I showed them where to hunt Elk and they all were a joy......I brought them firewood and told them where the Elk were..I couldn't hunt that year so I wanted to share my area with someone who never has shot an elk.....Luck was not on there side but they saw elk.

Loco and Wapoozy are both cowards behind the keyboard macho men.

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In all seriousness, I think there are times when guys have perfectly adequate equipment, but their skills haven't been honed enough. I've been guilty of spending too much time worrying about silly stuff when I could be out shooting my rifles and getting in top shape for the season, and that's been something I really tried to focus on this year.

If I can feel like my hunting rig is an extension of my body, then I'm all good to go.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Bring it like a man...

Where are you, you little piece of.I can be a prick also but I will never be called a "Boy [bleep]"..Seems this chit gets by on this forum for some reason beyond my comprehension.

So if you can do it,so can I or anyone else.

PM Big Redhead then come visit you coward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jayco mad

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Tanner
In all seriousness, I think there are times when guys have perfectly adequate equipment, but their skills haven't been honed enough. I've been guilty of spending too much time worrying about silly stuff when I could be out shooting my rifles and getting in top shape for the season, and that's been something I really tried to focus on this year.

If I can feel like my hunting rig is an extension of my body, then I'm all good to go.

Tanner

Your a nice guy but don't get a big head..Elk hunting experience comes from hunting Elk year after year.You can't get it off the net however bright you are.

I have 6 kids from 44 to 23 and sometimes they also think they know it all until I bring up past hunting experiences with them.I taught them all along with my dad, how to shoot and how to hunt when my dad was an outfitter,so to speak.

They listened young and new it all in there teen aged years.That's life...

Don't get your hooks into any method until you have been there done that regardless who tells you on the net.

Good luck to you,young man..Keep an open mind and see things for yourself.

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you mean, a big head? I stated that I've been guilty of not practicing enough and worrying about things other than doing so. I'd say that's quite the opposite of big headed.

Each time I hunt with someone new I try to keep my mouth closed and ears open, and it's served me so far. I don't hunt elk on the internet...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 340mag
do you really feel that the rifle combo your using for hunting elk is really about the best match you can get or afford, and have you ever been in a situation using your rifle where you knew you were at a disadvantage?
are you thinking thru your rifle choice?

Nearly two years prior to my first elk hunt in 2001, I ordered a Remington Custom KS/SS Mountain Rifle in .300 RUM. This choice was made after prior careful consideration of my existing rifles versus a new rifle was heavily influenced by the wow-factor following the release of the .300 RUM chambering in 1999. I topped her off with Dave Gentry rings/bases and a Leupold Vari-XIII 2.5x-8x. All in all, this rifle choice was a theoretical, leap-of-faith combination of capability, affordability and portability.

During break-in and initial use, the muzzle blast (due to the chambering and muzzle brake) took some getting used to. This was offset by the fact that she printed tiny, cold/clean bore or warm (3-shot groups) with no shift in point of impact.

Proper mounting/positioning of the scope and frequent practice helped make target acquisition nearly automatic, as did remembering to keep the scope on 4-power most of the time, 2.5 in heavy cover or on final approach to downed game, and on 8 only prior to making shots that needed it and also allowed for adequate preparation time to turn the dial.

With her 26� barrel and added muzzle brake, this rifle easily became my longest rifle and thus the most �clumsy� in heavy cover. Two things cured me of that bias:

First, I realized that the �clumsy� RUM was a half-inch shorter than my trusty wingshooting 12 ga. Remington 870 with her 26� barrel, which I�d never complain about in heavy cover. At a well-balanced 8 pounds scoped and slung, the weight of the RUM was not an issue either.

Secondly, I forced myself to use the RUM for all of my rifle hunts prior to my elk hunt. We didn�t get drawn in 2000, so until November 2001, it was what I carried here. In addition to range time, this practical field/hunting use made it feel as natural as my trusty older .308, 7mm-08, .270, etc.

A year and a half on the calendar may not seem like a lot of hunting to some, but here in Hawaii, we�re blessed with ample game, generous bag limits and various rifle hunting seasons on public land throughout the course of the year, in addition to even more liberal hunting on private land (daily, year-around). In other words, my RUM got more than ample hunting use, equal to many seasons for some of my friends living in the CONUS.

Admittedly, she was a bit cumbersome for swim-in hunts or climbing cliffs after goats. One of my Model Sevens (7mm-08 or .308) would have been better for that!

With lessons from real-world use, I made some upgrades over the years to make the rifle even more ideal:

(1) To help with longer shots and private range practice to 650 yards, I upgraded the scope to a Leupold VX3 3.5x-10x with custom reticle - 300 yard zero, with dots out to 600 and the reticle post as a final mark.

(2) To make the stainless steel even more resilient and to smooth the internals, I had Robar NP3 the whole thing.

She�s gone on 6 public land elk hunts, harvesting 4 elk - feeding at 150 yards, bedded at 400, running at 80 and standing at 661. I guess I�ve been fortunate with her from concept, purchase, break-in, and so-on, all the way to the present.

NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Hunter Education Master Instructor
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I believe I do. As someone who just hunts high timber. I need a fast handling gun. In the past that was always a Winchester 94 in 30-30.

Now i've moved to the muzzleloader season. I looked and tried many muzzleloaders before picking what I have now. I wanted it light and fast handling. It also had to be weather proof and reliable.

i went with the new released CVA Mountain Rifle. I put a 1.5x5x32 scope on it, and pretty much leave it on 1.5x for quick acquisition. We'll see how she does this year in the timber for elk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZDHYx484Q&feature=player_embedded

I just wanna know when Colorado began allowing scopes during muzzleloader season?........

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I can't figure out whose mad at who in this thread.......how the heck can a guy take sides?........ grin

Tanner:
M700 with a short LOP classic style stock with or without a cheekpeice and 22 inch bbl, with a reasonable variable set at lowest power in low mounts. A little judicious polishing of the action/bolt, "tune" the safety, and a "flat knob" safety lever from the M700 "carbine" years--generally around 6 3/4 lbs all up.

I've been jump shooting elk in the spruce/fir blowdown for 40+ years--I've killed more elk at 40yds than I've killed at 400 yds........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I believe I do. As someone who just hunts high timber. I need a fast handling gun. In the past that was always a Winchester 94 in 30-30.

Now i've moved to the muzzleloader season. I looked and tried many muzzleloaders before picking what I have now. I wanted it light and fast handling. It also had to be weather proof and reliable.

i went with the new released CVA Mountain Rifle. I put a 1.5x5x32 scope on it, and pretty much leave it on 1.5x for quick acquisition. We'll see how she does this year in the timber for elk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZDHYx484Q&feature=player_embedded

I just wanna know when Colorado began allowing scopes during muzzleloader season?........

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I can't figure out whose mad at who in this thread.......how the heck can a guy take sides?........ grin

Tanner:
M700 with a short LOP classic style stock with or without a cheekpeice and 22 inch bbl, with a reasonable variable set at lowest power in low mounts. A little judicious polishing of the action/bolt, "tune" the safety, and a "flat knob" safety lever from the M700 "carbine" years--generally around 6 3/4 lbs all up.

I've been jump shooting elk in the spruce/fir blowdown for 40+ years--I've killed more elk at 40yds than I've killed at 400 yds........

Casey

They don't. My vision has become so poor the DOW gave me a licence to use a scope in ML season. They have a form that your eye doctor fills out. I'm real picky about taking humane shots, and I didn't feel I could do it with fuzzy iron sights anymore. I've used iron sights all my life, and it's like losing an old friend to not use them now, but you have to do what you have to do. I'm not giving up hunting. If they had said no. I would have just used the scoped ML in rifle season.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

They don't. My vision has become so poor the DOW gave me a licence to use a scope in ML season. They have a form that your eye doctor fills out. I'm real picky about taking humane shots, and I didn't feel I could do it with fuzzy iron sights anymore. I've used iron sights all my life, and it's like losing an old friend to not use them now, but you have to do what you have to do. I'm not giving up hunting. If they had said no. I would have just used the scoped ML in rifle season.

I should have remembered that--I knew a gent some years back who went through the same process to use a scope.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm glad they have the option. I really like the ML season.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Tanner
What do you mean, a big head? I stated that I've been guilty of not practicing enough and worrying about things other than doing so. I'd say that's quite the opposite of big headed.

Each time I hunt with someone new I try to keep my mouth closed and ears open, and it's served me so far. I don't hunt elk on the internet...

He's just pissed that you actually hunt instead of sitting around the campfire in your tennis shoes, swilling PBR, and telling the same old lies.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Jayco, I have a serious question. If you live in a trailer, do you stay in someone's house when you go "camping"?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen
I never felt under-gunned until I lost a couple of elk that I hit right where I was aiming. After that, I paid a lot more attention to bullet construction--and still do. I would go back (and have done so) to the cartridge that I used on the two elk that I lost, but would definitely not use the same bullets or bullets of similar construction.

Curiosity strikes,. What is the cartridge and what were the bullets?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Bring it like a man...

Where are you, you little piece of.I can be a prick also but I will never be called a "Boy [bleep]"..Seems this chit gets by on this forum for some reason beyond my comprehension.

So if you can do it,so can I or anyone else.

PM Big Redhead then come visit you coward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jayco mad

Watch it, you're going to stroke out, old man..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a sickness.
My first rifle was a 7600 Gamemaster 30-06 with a 4x Bushnell,packed that rifle 10 seasons,killed lots of game. My Uncle Bill packed a .338 win mag,watched him drop a bull accross a canyon with it.... the sickness began.

BBJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I try to match my rifle to the area I'm hunting.
My all purpose rifle is a nice little 338-06 with a 3X9 compact Leupold. For hunting the sage flats or evening setting up over a long meadow I bring out a 338 WM wearing a 3.5X10 Leupold. Heavy timber or hard snow falling I go to my Stainless 45-70 Guide gun with a red dot sight
All three are in camp every year.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like to hunt elk with a singleshot Sharps or Ballard loaded with blackpowder, paper patched bullet and sighted with a vernier tang sight.

While a lot of folks would not consider that an optimal rig, I like it, and I haven't missed an opportunity that a .338 Lapua SuperDuper Mag or the like would have made possible. Don't see the need for that sort of stuff myself.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,214
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.