Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by colorado
I'm not saying that lead sleds aren't hard on stocks and scopes, they are. We don't use a sled for the 375 Weatherby except for sight in, because we don't need it, same goes for my older son's LH M70 in 416 Rem. I started out shooting the 500 Jeff "like a man", no sissy pad, no sled, no slip on recoil pad for initial sight in and load development. I quit at 18 rounds (all I had loaded). When my buddy and went to lunch, I suggested somewhere that had beer, because I could already feel the swelling. Here's a lovely pic to go with your breakfast or lunch, and don't tell me I was holding the rifle wrong, I've been shooting rifles for 40 years. It got significantly worse over the next three days. The bruise you see was the morning after, the blood migrated up and over eventually the bruise covered the entire right side of my chest and my right arm below the elbow. That's why I bought a lead sled Swampy. Feel free to come visit and put 20 downrange with my 500 Jeff from a bench wearing a T-shirt like I did with no sissy pads or slip on recoil pad and tell me how tough you are. I shoot the 500 Jeff that way offhand now, but not from a bench (just a T-shirt or a light jacket) because I practice like I hunt. It's my favorite rifle to shoot offhand, which I do everytime I go to the range, but I won't shoot it from a bench without the sled.

[Linked Image]

Man, that ole Jeffery really did kick your azz...

DF

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yup, because I didn't respect her... "Baby" and I know each other better now. Took her to the range today and hit the 10 ring with each of five shots at 100 yards offhand. Didn't shoot it once from the bench lol ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1)Nope
2)Nope

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An RSM stock split with one rifle and a nice Diavari went south on another. Stock was replaced and the Diavari was repaired. Quite frankly though, I don't see lead sleds in use too often outside of maybe some accuracy testing or load development. Most I know would not use the lead sled for zeroing or practice because odds are holding the rifle down into the device would effect your resulting POI compared to other techniques and it is not realistic for trigger time. I don't think the device itself is the issue, but I do think its misuse can be a problem when too much weight is added to quell recoil. It becomes pure physics if you lock down and restrict the rifle too much as the forces are dumped back into the rifle. If you don't think this can damage a stock, scope or mounts, try shooting your rifle with the butt rested against a tree and report back on the results after a few hundred rounds.

As for the 500 Jeffery, I don't see any elephants in my future but I do see a Cape Buffalo or two left in me before its done. For those, recoil from the Jeffery makes me feel good about my choice to use a 9.3x62 smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gary, Thanks for the video..!

I agree with you Gary, anything that bears against the stock as it recoils will increase, (by way of physics) stress/compression to the materials...

....much like a short stocky shooter laying prone behind a bi-pod laden rifle would add more stress/compression than a tall lanky shooter would while standing and firing off hand. grin

Very good to finally hear of a scope failing, whether the Diavari's failure was due to the Sled is questionable though, isn't it.?

I'd like to hear about how the physics of a Sled vs a Shoulder would be more stressful upon a Scope... curious about this dynamic.
---------------------------------------------------------------

As for the RSM (a wooden stock), I remember you sharing with us earlier that;

"...keep in mind that most will crack in the thin webbing between the mag box and trigger inlets. This thin webbing is the only material holding together the stock sidewalls between the front and rear action screws. You may consider adding either a hidden internal cross pin reinforcement, or a through and through external cross pin reinforcement at this location. I've yet to see an RSM without this added reinforcement survive long before this webbing area split from the forces of recoil pushing the sidewalls out."

Based upon your experiences, it seems that stock was bound to fail without any help from a Sled smile

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read this entire thread. Swampman and bigsqueeze seem very anti-lead sled and I'm not sure why even after reading their posts which to me are based on their perceptions more so than their experiences. I'll base my words on my experiences. I have used a lead sled extensively for initial sight in of slug guns. They kick like a mule and the sleds help alot when you're sighting in several. You may have to fine tune the scope slightly when shooting from the shoulder after but that is very infrequent. I have a DFT version and it is overkill. The original lead sled would be fine for most folks application. It saves a person from the bruises shown in the photos in this thread. How that cannot be beneficial is beyond me. I have heard or more distinctly, read, of scopes breaking and stocks cracking from a sled. Very possible. Neither has ever happened to me and I have had some guys use some pretty cheap scopes on slug guns that you would think may be a good candidate for breakage. Not all gun stocks are well laid out and many are anaemic in the grip area. Had a gun stock maker call that to my attention recently on a rifle the folks are asking $4500 for. He said if it were ever dropped it'd be a custom "two piece stock". I was looking at the beauty of the wood and his experienced eye went directly to the weak spot. If it can happen to be laid out that way on a rifle of that stature, I'm sure it happens with every big name manufacturer. My experience with lead sleds have been positive, they are a tool that when used as intended, is an asset not a liablility.

"I will remain what I am until the day I die- A HUNTER"......Sitting Bull
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,391
Posts18,527,800
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.