Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Formidilosus, I'm not sure I get the point of your post. Is it;
a) You're a good shooter to be able to go in cold and place well?
b) The level of competition in 3-Gun is not high and everyone has a chance even if you haven't trained and prepared?
c) Soldiers and Cops are not well trained because they don't do well with 3-Gun which is a good indicator of their job proficiency?

...or is it some combination of the three or some other? Sorry, I'm not the sharpest at understanding these things some times.

A and C for sure. If you think it is B, you are an ignoramous, and have never shot on the same range with world class shooters who frequent the major three gun matches. I have, I KNOW what it is like to be humbled, you should give it a whirl, it'll do you some good.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's not what I think...it's what he's sayin'. I don't know if it's a,b or c...hence my question. I might not know if it's b, but I'm still probably an ignoramus.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm saying that anyone who states that IPSC/3-Gun competitors use gamer guns and that's why they shoot that fast/accurate is smoking crack. I'm also saying that the golf range rifle people need to realize that NRA Highpower is not the measure of practical shooting skill for military, police or civilians. Just like ultra marathoners are not the measure of fitness. Being able to shoot slung up might be important, just like being able to run long might be important. But we live in a 0-400 meter world where being able to lift heavy things, sprint across the street, crush someone's throat and shoot and manipulate our guns extremely fast and accurately is the measure of skill.

As for the level of shooting skill in the military and police world, as much as it pains me to say.... across the board it is atrocious. Take the average Infantryman, SEAL, Ranger, etc. and put him in a 5k race and they will at least make a solid showing if not do very well. Take that same person and put him in a 3-Gun or IPSC match and it's embarrassing. Then they generally start smack talking the "gamers" about how they couldn't do it for "real". Ironically no one ever talks about how the runners couldn't run for "real"..... Fortunately after 11 years of constant war that is starting to change with the Army, Air Force, and Marines all having their own action shooting teams and a lot more individual SOF members starting to compete. At one time the collective shooting knowledge was held within the military and hopefully it will be so again.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
.... NRA Highpower is not the measure of practical shooting skill for military, police or civilians. Just like ultra marathoners are not the measure of fitness. Being able to shoot slung up might be important, just like being able to run long might be important. But we live in a 0-400 meter world where being able to lift heavy things, sprint across the street, crush someone's throat and shoot and manipulate our guns extremely fast and accurately is the measure of skill.

That's so good it needs repeating. However I must say that those Camp Perry position shooters can be taught to turn your 400m world into an 800m nightmare with a few weeks of stalking and fieldcraft though. Don't forget that.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 30mmplumber
I don't want to start a fight, but I am old school and in my opinion...from what I have seen of '3-gun' matches on TV,,,,that game is for people who don't know how to shoot.

I've shot against Robbie Johnson (former AMU 3 gun shooter) and would venture to say that he would probably do pretty respectably in whatever shooting competition he cared to enter. Plus as a combat experienced Ranger he's pretty handy on a 2 way range also.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I heard Johnson left the Army and is working for Remington now.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by dodgefan

I've shot against Robbie Johnson (former AMU 3 gun shooter) and would venture to say that he would probably do pretty respectably in whatever shooting competition he cared to enter. Plus as a combat experienced Ranger he's pretty handy on a 2 way range also.

Indeed. He served in 3/75 sniper section prior to the AMU, where he also won the International Sniper Competition twice. Then he shot Limited Division (iron sights only) in 3-gun for a while.

TAK,

I agree on the position shooting and the skills there. Just addressing the "real shooters" comment....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Johnson did leave the Army and is working for Remington.

I shot against him at the 08 Ft Benning sniper match. His partner St John was a service pistol shooter (IIRC) and Johnson wasn't to far behind him in skill. St John was a another Ranger Batt sniper.
They were a good team.

S
S
We shoot some 3 gun matches at local clubs. One club has a mock house setup that we run through and up on the hill we extend the ranges out to around 200 yards. I love shooting 3 gun.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've never shot 3-gun but have recently had some interest in giving it a whirl. From what I've heard, it's shooting at various unknown distances, with all three platforms, add a little stress of competition, and that seems to add up to good practice if not just plain fun. It seems to me that if you just run whatever kit you have without setting them up to "game" the competition.

Any advice for a guy interested in dipping his toe into the 3-gun world?

Thanks,
Mark

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Westy, this should get you started. Go down to the Multi-gun subforum:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry Gang,
I'm back, and had a chance to read the thread a bit. Contrary to some of the views expressed here, I try to find value in each of the shooting "games" from a skills development perspective. Highpower has taught me the basics of building good solid field positions (with or without slings). From offhand I've learned good trigger control when a solid position is not possible. And wind and condition reading is a given across the course. Value for the warrior in the current theaters? Not my battle. It's just a game for me. I can tell you that the Corps reevaluated their qual course a while back and moved from KD to a more combat style course to meet the needs of the theater at the time.

I had a chance to watch some Robby Johnson video. Some here; http://kellynealsblog.wordpress.com/tag/robbie-johnson/
Looks like something I'd like to give a whirl. Just from the little I've seen on video and in watching a little of matches, I see the premium in mounting and fast acquisition and execution. I could love that.

Robby Johnson seems to excel in anything shooting (he's won the President's 100 tab, as well as a few 1000yd interservice matches while slung up in a jacket), and distinguished himself in combat. Carl Bernosky who won his what 10th NRA Highpower Championship is also a high level Bianchi Cup competitor.

Ain't it great that it's not either or?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 257 roberts, 16penny, 44mc, 21 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,652
Posts18,512,721
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.