-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My friend, my brother and I used them in the 80's and very early 90's. Some very spectacular blowups and lack of penetration on Alberta deer, one even at long range. I have never been able to trust them since. But given MD tedimony about how the lead hardness and jacket thickness has cahnged so drastically, I may have to reconsider in some circumstances.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A question for those who believe that energy kills... Where did all that energy go? In what way was all that energy transfered to the deer that it did not even break the scapula,lessover kill it?
BBerg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tell ya,when that bullet hit the shoulder,he went in a straight up jump that would have made Roy Roger's horse Trigger jealous!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
No offense, but how 'bout let's stick with thoughts on the BT's made in this century if you don't mind. I'm well aware of how the BT's performed when they first came out, and I didn't care for them much either, but..........that was 30 freakin' years ago and lots has changed ! smile

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Swiped this from the "innerweb".

[Linked Image]

L-R, 120 gr BT, 150 gr BT, 140 gr Accubond, .308" 168 gr, and .308" 180 gr

From the looks of hte cut-away photos, they got the 150 gr. weight by using more lead and less jacket.

Well, they made it longer.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I used plenty of the old BT 7MM 140`s on Deer,Antelope.Never lost one or had to shoot twice.

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
No offense, but how 'bout let's stick with thoughts on the BT's made in this century if you don't mind. I'm well aware of how the BT's performed when they first came out, and I didn't care for them much either, but..........that was 30 freakin' years ago and lots has changed ! smile

Thx JG!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ackley33806
Dober
Wasn't worried about stuff dieing of BT poisoning but was wondering about blast holes. I have been shooting the BTs awhile too and I don't think I have found one yet. But had a surface blast hole with my 250 3000 last year but that was with a 100 bt @ maybe 20 feel and it still went in to the dirt.

Ack-by surface blast do you mean you had what I call a "splash back" and yet the bullet continued on with penetration?

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Ack-by surface blast do you mean you had what I call a "splash back" and yet the bullet continued on with penetration?

I am curious about this as well. Whenever these NBT threads come up it seems the terms: surface wound, splash wound, blow-up, etc. get used quite often. I've shot a lot of NBTs into animals, and I've never seen one 'blow-up' on the surface or 'splash on the shoulder/ribcage'..... not even 6mm/55s at 4100+, they typically exited coyote size critters... and a couple of does.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
I can vouch for the "tender" characteristic of the first BTs. Shot both 130s and 150s from my 270 featherweight into deerses back in the '80s and never had an exit.

It was kinda' like shooting them with plastic tipped potatochips........pronghorns, deer, elk......didn't matter.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mark,

I've seen what many would call "splash-back" with a 140-grain TSX from a .270 on a coyote. Entrance hole (right behind shoulder) was 2-3" across. But the bullet did exit!

In my experience splash-back depends almost as much on what the bullet hits as the bullet. In this instance it hit soft tissue initially, but hit a rib after that. Maybe a piece of rib "splashed back"....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I am curious about this as well. Whenever these NBT threads come up it seems the terms: surface wound, splash wound, blow-up, etc. get used quite often. I've shot a lot of NBTs into animals, and I've never seen one 'blow-up' on the surface or 'splash on the shoulder/ribcage'..... not even 6mm/55s at 4100+, they typically exited coyote size critters... and a couple of does.

I have indeed witnessed the effect of "Splash-back" with a Ballistic Tip made in this century. I've posted this before so forgive. The killing involved a poor little doe whitetail maybe 110lbs or so (victim) and a roughneck heathen white boy (assassin) accustomed to hunting in the coastal jungle of South Carolina where "if they got out of the food plot shot they were probably lost". So he was up in the Piedmont area hunting with my then club with his drop-em-now rifle; a .340 Weatherby Mag with factory loaded Ballistic Tips. Seems he said they were 200gr but not sure. At 20 yds or so the bullet made an entry wound approximately the size of a small dinner plate but the exit was only about the size of a saucer. Deer still almost made it out of the greenfield but how I'll never know.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I too have seen some gnarly entrance wounds via NBT... but all were accompanied by exit wounds and fur in the dirt.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I've seen that I would call a splash back I've normally seen on yotes. From a round that was sort of hyper (22/250, 6/06 you know) and pretty much on two different angles.

Angle one, a yote comes in and is taken quartering to me.

Angle two, a yote comes in and I take him head on, thus hitting what I call the breast bone.

Holes can be wide and narly looking, bullets go on thru and the yote hits the turf absolutely right now!

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing I don't like about NBT's made in this century is the mess they leave behind.

For some it's not an issue, but I hate throwing away front shoulders. Seems like a waste to me.

For predators they're fine. On big game, they're other choices that don't do as much unneccesary damage.

YMMV

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I have indeed witnessed the effect of "Splash-back" with a Ballistic Tip made in this century. I've posted this before so forgive. The killing involved a poor little doe whitetail maybe 110lbs or so (victim) and a roughneck heathen white boy (assassin) accustomed to hunting in the coastal jungle of South Carolina where "if they got out of the food plot shot they were probably lost". So he was up in the Piedmont area hunting with my then club with his drop-em-now rifle; a .340 Weatherby Mag with factory loaded Ballistic Tips. Seems he said they were 200gr but not sure. At 20 yds or so the bullet made an entry wound approximately the size of a small dinner plate but the exit was only about the size of a saucer. Deer still almost made it out of the greenfield but how I'll never know.

Cut the barrel on that puppy down to 18" and what a brush rifle you would have. crazy

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Who the [bleep] would use a 340 Roy for shooting deer in SC? Truly amazing, I'd rather hit them with a 223AI.

I guess lots of folks still buy into the the 'foot pounds' [bleep].

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Its a Freudian thing....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Who the [bleep] would use a 340 Roy for shooting deer in SC? Truly amazing, I'd rather hit them with a 223AI.

I guess lots of folks still buy into the the 'foot pounds' [bleep].

No joke! People kill me....! You'll see bigger rifles back east from deer hunters than what you'll find out west. The 7 rem mag and 300 win being most popular...then I can think of one tool bag with pretty hair that likes to brag about his 30-378. Funny thing is the dork had to pay someone to zero his scope for him...lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I'm one of those Eastern tool bags, since I've primarily used 7MM cartridges to kill a couple of hundred hogs and deer.

Amazing the things you can learn on the Internet.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,516
Posts18,509,571
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.