-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Last year my cousin called me to look at a set of lion tracks near his house south of Gainesville Tx. When I saw them I told him yes it was a nice set of tracks but it had five toes and a good 7 inches across. He couldn't belive a bear had gotten that close to the house. I see lions at least once a year but no bears yet. I wouldn't mind a few bear if they would munch on those damn hogs.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrentD

They also continue to deny the existence of Big Foot too. wink

And won't they feel silly when I drag in a dead squatch!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by BrentD

They also continue to deny the existence of Big Foot too. wink

And won't they feel silly when I drag in a dead squatch!

Yes, indeedy. And until then, expect them to keep their secret squatch introductions and plans to destroy America by turning the country over to muslim Squatches a secret. Just listen for the black helicopters - they are out there. smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep thinking a big jag could live pretty well off hogs, if they ever get established in Texas, and start breeding. Last I heard, though, it was only the occasional roaming male that ever made it into the States.

In the deep jungle, a black jag would still be well camo'd, and he'd have no disadvantage in stalking prey. In the desert or semi-desert I would have to think a black cat would be at a disadvantage, and natural selection would limit their numbers. Mutations do happen, heck white buffalo show up every now and then, but I can see why it would be extremely rare.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

They also continue to deny the existence of Big Foot
Yes, indeedy. And until then, expect them to keep their secret squatch introductions and plans to destroy America by turning the country over to muslim Squatches a secret. Just listen for the black helicopters-they are out there.

[/quote]
Muzzy squatch black opps. To hell with my coffee, I need foil! crazy

Sean
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There are a few otters in my area (upper Texas coast) and as I watched one crossing a road one morning I was thinking that if someone wasn't sure of the distance, they might easily mistake it for a cat, possibly a big one?

As to the bears, the Black Bear Recovery Committee has helped get enough bears started again in Louisiana that they may be considering a season soon. Many of these cross into East Texas, and there is also a population in Oklahoma. A friend of mine is director of that program, and I asked him awhile back if he thought bears would kill and eat hogs, because I had heard that the parishes in Louisiana with a bear population had few hogs. He told me he'd personally bet on a big hog in such an encounter. He said bears are not big meat eaters anyway, and the parishes with bears and no hogs are just parishes the hogs haven't moved into - YET.

He also feels Florida may have a bear season in the near future.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
one of my buddy's 5 month old cougar cubs jumped on my back when i was putting carpet in his house. it knocked me flat, plus they hadn't been declawed yet, good thing it was just playing, hate to think what a grown one could do.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I doubt bears would have an appreciable impact on hog populations. Except that they probably would be competing for some of the same food sources. Now lions on the other hand.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
hogs i believe is one reason we have a good lion population in south texas.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We used to check the stomachs of every lion we killed during hunts down here. I honestly cannot remember one that didn't contain hog hair. Without digging out the hunting log, that's probably 25-30 lions over a ten-year period.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The pioneers definitely had problems with bears killing their hogs and other livestock.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A W. Tx. lion trapper I know caught a bear out by Alpine 3yrs. ago. Although a black bear, he called it Cinnamon. He has been trapping out there for years. He said he really didn't know what he was supposed to do because everybody knows there ain't any bears out there. He didn't want to get cross-ways with the Game Warden. He's by himself as usual. He has plenty rope in the truck and gets the bear all splayed out and tied off, so he can get the trap off and lets it go. He says he doesn't want to do that again. The GW said he should have called and he would have helped. Phone service is iffy to none. I still don't know what the law is on trapping bear in W.Tx.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
I still don't know what the law is on trapping bear in W.Tx.

No bears may be harmed in Texas, unless in self-defense.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd take my chances releasing a bear by myself all day long before I took a chance calling a game warden for help.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LOL...I know how things are "released" where you come from.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As long as I've been a cop, I still get nervous around Game Wardens.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
As long as I've been a cop, I still get nervous around Game Wardens.

No [bleep]. I can never get used to the fact that they will chase you around the world in your boat, to make sure you have a whistle, cite you for not having a life jacket while floating in an innertube, or search your person to make sure you don't have lead shot while hunting waterfowl.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen a black panther in Georgia almost 40 years ago, 1973.
Crossed in front of me on a fairly new stretch of Interstate 95 running thru the Ogeechee River swamp between Savannah, and Richmond Hill/Ft. Stewart.

A bit taller than my bumper, long, slanky, long tail, jet black.

Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a whole long story about a set of seized antlers that I finally got back after explaining search and seizure to a game warden captain for about an hour on the phone. If you want an example of absolute power corrupting absolutely, I can introduce you to a couple or three game wardens in north Texas.

But I digress, back to the topic at hand....You know I swear that I saw a black bear track in Broaddus about 18 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's been black bears seen in West Texas on occasion. I think one was hit on I-10 a few years ago. In the Chisos mountains of Big Bend, they used to have a bunch of warning signs for the bears.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (300_savage, 1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 18 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,859
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.