Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by noKnees
I wish they would make the archery season in northern tier longer. Maybe start it when early bear opens up.

I quit hunting ADK's 10 years ago.

Never saw anyone anyway.

You can bowhunt the entire season.

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by mike103
Originally Posted by noKnees
I wish they would make the archery season in northern tier longer. Maybe start it when early bear opens up.

I quit hunting ADK's 10 years ago.

Never saw anyone anyway.

You can bowhunt the entire season.

I don't care if I am bow hunting I just want more time to hunt. I bear hunt now, but its a low probability thing, I see a bear about every 10 days I hunt in early bear, I would rather be deer hunting instead.

I live right on the line between north and south, with the longer southern season I am going to conflicted where to go for the first couple of weeks of the season. Oh and I wish that they would make the licence year sept-1-Aug 31, as it is I lose the first couple days of bow season because its rare to have left over tags from the year before.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yea I never understood the Oct 1st thing. Don't know why it's done that way.

I hope a one buck per year rule is next. Any season, any weapon, one buck.

And baiting bear.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I believe adding the early weeks in Oct for Bow will open later dates for crossbow/ MZ Dec just using this Route

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PA went thru the same crossbow haggle some years ago. They were originally only allowed in archery season with a special permit, based on a doctor's "note" describing allowable achy parts, to qualify for the crossbow permit.

That rapidly became a joke, as the number of such permits increased year after year. Then crossbow manufacturers began coming to Game Commission meetings, lobbying for inclusion in all archery seasons. They were intitally allowed in firearms seasons and muzzle loader seasons (had to buy the MZ stamp).

Some PA bowhunters' orgs fought "inclusion" in archery season for years, but finally lost that battle. Crossbows are now legal in archery seasons here. From a statistical standpoint, they really haven't raised the number of archery licenses all that much, nor have they affected total archery kills all that much (yet), but they have done so a bit.

The crossbow battle caused lots of rifts in the hunting community that still exist today. Same for more firearms and youth seasons in what was once "archery only" parts of the fall.

As for NY, I hunt just across the state line from Steuben County, NY and have for over 50 years. Never made much sense to me that those southern tier NY counties only allowed shotguns for deer? Glad they finally went to rifle deer hunting, might finally get a NR license this year, so I can hunt over in NY. Many of my kinfolks already do, some have lived in NY most of their lives.

I tend to disagree that offering more youth hunting opportunities doesn't bring more kids into our sport. PA license sales have shown slight increases the past two years, with much of that coming via JR licenses and Mentored Youth Hunting permits.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by dubePA
PA went thru the same crossbow haggle some years ago. They were originally only allowed in archery season with a special permit, based on a doctor's "note" describing allowable achy parts, to qualify for the crossbow permit.

That rapidly became a joke, as the number of such permits increased year after year. Then crossbow manufacturers began coming to Game Commission meetings, lobbying for inclusion in all archery seasons. They were intitally allowed in firearms seasons and muzzle loader seasons (had to buy the MZ stamp).

Some PA bowhunters' orgs fought "inclusion" in archery season for years, but finally lost that battle. Crossbows are now legal in archery seasons here. From a statistical standpoint, they really haven't raised the number of archery licenses all that much, nor have they affected total archery kills all that much (yet), but they have done so a bit.

The crossbow battle caused lots of rifts in the hunting community that still exist today. Same for more firearms and youth seasons in what was once "archery only" parts of the fall.

As for NY, I hunt just across the state line from Steuben County, NY and have for over 50 years. Never made much sense to me that those southern tier NY counties only allowed shotguns for deer? Glad they finally went to rifle deer hunting, might finally get a NR license this year, so I can hunt over in NY. Many of my kinfolks already do, some have lived in NY most of their lives.

I tend to disagree that offering more youth hunting opportunities doesn't bring more kids into our sport. PA license sales have shown slight increases the past two years, with much of that coming via JR licenses and Mentored Youth Hunting permits.

Great post.

Don't thing the New York Bowhunters Association will agree.

They are truly color blind on this subject.

Time will tell. I hope the youth weekend is safe and brings in a large number of kids.

I will do my part by taking out a young man.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,658
Posts18,512,809
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.