Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MuleyFan
Pack goats have had my interest for several years now.. I have thought about getting a couple but haven't really looked that much into it.. I have a question for those that have them..

Where I live there could be snow on the ground for up to 2-3 weeks from late November to February and get down to the low 20's..

Can they live in this environment?
Our goats regularly are out feeding in the pasture in very cold temps. If they get wet, however, they will chill much faster, especially if it's windy. If you plan to hunt in wet, cold, windy conditions, it might be wise to invest in some waterproof goat blankets to keep them dry. They also serve as windbreakers. A well designed one can also be used over the pack to keep your gear dry.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What kind of terrain can they pack through? We hunt some areas with a lot of downed timber due to the pine beetles. Can they get across areas like that? Some of those areas you most certainly have to go over the logs...there are just too many to possibly go around them. Anybody have pictures of some nasty terrain that the goats still handled? Goats sure would make life easier I think.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Goats are acrobats. You wouldn't believe what they can get over, under, or through (they can get through about any fence, for example). The tall, long legged breeds are best at it. I put stacks of old pallets & tires in the pasture for them to climb on. Even the older ones like to climb and play. I've seen a 4-high stack of pallets with 5 goats crowded on it. They can easily jump up into the back of pickup, too.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Vigilguy and Rock Chuck, Thanks for the info...

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by Diyelker
What kind of terrain can they pack through? We hunt some areas with a lot of downed timber due to the pine beetles. Can they get across areas like that? Some of those areas you most certainly have to go over the logs...there are just too many to possibly go around them. Anybody have pictures of some nasty terrain that the goats still handled? Goats sure would make life easier I think.

Depends on how much mine are loaded. Some of my packers are very agile, some are not so much. They do very well on boulder field. WE went fly fishing at our favorite brookie lake which is over 11,000+ ft, and we have to go through boulder fileds to get to it. They do fine. Deadfall? It depends. Some deadfall are at a height where they cannot go under, and getting over is a pain.

IC B2

Diyelker,
The goats really can go just about anywhere you go. They may pick their own path to do it, but seem to get through, under or over anything. At the end of the pack out, they will jump, fully loaded, into the back of the truck when I am not using my horse trailer.

Aaron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i am in ne montana, i have mules and have been wanting to get a few goats forever,, my kid could use them for a 4h project and we could hunt with them we i dont feel like catching mules for a 1/2 day hunt,

anyone no where i can get some babies without driving 1000 miles...

300stw,
There is a breeder in the Malta/Zortman area who regularly advertises on Craigslist. I know nothing about them. Just make sure wherever you get them, they are healthy and disease free. CAE, Jonesses etc. There are also breeders in the Roundup area. Stick to the dairy breeds and none of the little sawed off nigerian crosses.

Aaron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 300stw
i am in ne montana, i have mules and have been wanting to get a few goats forever,, my kid could use them for a 4h project and we could hunt with them we i dont feel like catching mules for a 1/2 day hunt,

anyone no where i can get some babies without driving 1000 miles...
A lot of 4H projects are for meat goats, which usually means Boers. Those are a problem for packing. Besides short legs, they have broad backs and no withers to hold a saddle in place. You can't keep a saddle on one for any money.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i want my boy to start the 4h goat deal with pack goats,,, something for the locals to look at besides the little milk goats,,,hes been winning the hog deal at the fair time for something else,, then i can use them,,,, i met a guy in juntura oregon using goats to pack in and chukar hunt that way when your wayyyy down in a canyon late in the day just make camp and climb out the next day,,,, roasted chukar for dinner to make up for possesion limits,,,

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I didn't know they have pack goat projects now. Good!! 4-H has changed a lot since my days in it. Like Sharpstick said, stick with the dairy breeds, big ones.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had done the packgoat thing for about 6 years, just selling my boys this year.
It can be a good way to go, but is like any other pack animal. They are a year around investment.
The only reason I sold them is from lack of use. I have the next 2 years of hunting season planned out and they didn't involve trips with goats.

For gear get ahold of northwest packgoats. Rex is a good guy and a serious hunter himself.

300stw,
I have two kids showing packgoats in 4-H this year. This will be our first time and hopefuly will stir some interest in packgoats. It should be fun and I know will get some looks at the fair this year. i always like the looks on peoples' faces and the ensuing questions that follow. About half way through my packgoat "information seminar", you see the light bulb come.

Aaron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Goats, llamas,horses, whatever. They still need to be in condition for hunting. I take my llamas out a couple times a week this time of year for conditioning hikes. I fill the panniers with jugs of water for weight. It's good for them and it's good for me but it does take time. Saddling 4 animals isn't a 2 minute job. Luckily, I only have to drive about 12 miles to find some steep hills to work them on.

I'll be retiring in 2 years and then they'll get a lot more use during the summer. Right now I have a hard time even getting away for a weekend.

― George Orwell

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.