-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've learned to frown on waking up to find a LARGE Black Bear finishing my Hot Chocolate, while my Dog snores contentedly, and the shotgun is slightly out of reach,......

After THAT, I'd have to say close in heavy gunfire and grenade blasts.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
I can think of many, but I'll always remember the one that made me the most angry.

I was in a tent, out cold from a long day of deer hunting. In the middle of the night, a wiseazz coyote trotted up to the tent, about one foot from my head, and sounded off at full throttle, causing me to eject from my sleeping bag somewhat like a Trident missile ejecting from a submarine. I wanted to kill that coyote bad... but, of course, he was long gone by the time I went looking for him. I've had a thing for coyotes ever since...

A black bear pawing the tent at 2:00 am definitely had me screaming like a girl. The weekend was also made memorable, by the bear attack victim I met two days later crazy

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can think of many, but I'll always remember the one that made me the most angry.

I was in a tent, out cold from a long day of deer hunting. In the middle of the night, a wiseazz coyote trotted up to the tent, about one foot from my head, and sounded off at full throttle, causing me to eject from my sleeping bag somewhat like a Trident missile ejecting from a submarine. I wanted to kill that coyote bad... but, of course, he was long gone by the time I went looking for him. I've had a thing for coyotes ever since...

Did you know that when in sizeable groups, Coyotes appoint a "Director",.....I've never SEEN one,....(HTF could you when you're sawing logs ?)

Dunno whether the little Yodel Hound bastidd dips his nose, waves his paw, or wags his tail, but a whole PACK of those romantic little bastids can fire their loudest cries / yips / yodels and screeches within MILLISECONDS of one another.

They do it just down my lane pretty near every night, when there's some Moon.

OK ready, ? ....3,.....2,.....1,....OWWWOOOooooo

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i woke up to a tent full of javilinas when i was in scouts. we were camping on the flowers ranch up near coutola .

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tracks
Not from a deep sleep, but becoming cold sober in a hurry kind of thing I offer this.
One night back in my wild and crazy days, I went out drinking with a young lady who usually ended up spending the night at my place.
The morning after I became sorta simi aware of where I was and that it was going to be a bad hangover day. I could feel somebody in bed with me, and with some reluctance I opened one eye to face the day.
What I saw instantly made forget the hangover, it looked like the back of some guys head, and the entire head was covered with about a half inch of hair.
I swear, I knew I had never been that drunk!!!

Turns out the young lady had done something to her hair that damaged it, she had to cut it short and had been wearing a wig which had come off during the night.

So for a split second you knew what it was like to be gay...Dude thats a heavy load to live with! blush

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Tracks
Not from a deep sleep, but becoming cold sober in a hurry kind of thing I offer this.
One night back in my wild and crazy days, I went out drinking with a young lady who usually ended up spending the night at my place.
The morning after I became sorta simi aware of where I was and that it was going to be a bad hangover day. I could feel somebody in bed with me, and with some reluctance I opened one eye to face the day.
What I saw instantly made forget the hangover, it looked like the back of some guys head, and the entire head was covered with about a half inch of hair.
I swear, I knew I had never been that drunk!!!

Turns out the young lady had done something to her hair that damaged it, she had to cut it short and had been wearing a wig which had come off during the night.

So for a split second you knew what it was like to be gay...Dude thats a heavy load to live with! blush

Interesting choice of words. whistle

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Getting used to the fire pager at my age at any time out of a deep sleep, but being able to get socks on and have pants half on by the time they get to giving the location.... well I don't know how I'm doing it, but it probably aint good on the body to go from deep sleep to being in a vehicle hauling it to town to the station in likely less than 90 seconds...

So far its not been a bad phone call at night, though thats bound to come sooner or later

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE
Hearing the sirens and "INCOMING" right before the mortars and rockets start landing inside the wire!

Was gonna say something about mortars and 122mm rockets myself, face down in a wet ditch wearing skivvies and flip flops...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
General Quarters being called in the middle of the night sucks

I actually slept through a GQ alarm on the submarine once during an inspection when I was operating on one or two hours a sleep a night for a week.

I suffered no ill effects, which was more than can be said for the supply officer on our boat when the same thing happened to him on another patrol. We were doing some kind of missile accident drill so were in our anti-contamination suits with air masks, the whole nine yards, and all the lights were out on the boat. He was out cold on his rack so three of us went into his stateroom, tapped him on the forehead with a flashlight, and said "Holy crap, I hope you've been holding your breath for the last half hour". After he got done having a heart attack, he was pretty pissed, but afterwards he had to admit it was pretty funny. Long afterwards.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Broke, hung over, and hoping I heard her right when she said she was on the pill.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not much of a life for you then huh?????????? Sad for you

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Made me recall when I was maybe 9 or 10, sleeping out on the porch on a hot summer night. Woke up in the middle of the night, sort of, something crawling on my upper lip, still in a daze I reached up and squashed it, turned out to be one of those big ol' black stinkbugs.

[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Back in the late 60's, I recall my Dad telling one of my younger brothers (he was about 4) to wake up one of my olders brothers (he was about 12) and tell him breakfsat was ready. Moments later, little brother comes back from the bedroom. Dad asked younger brother if he woke up older brother. Younger brother says "Yep. I hit him in the knee with a bat."

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Did you know that when in sizeable groups, Coyotes appoint a "Director",.....I've never SEEN one,....(HTF could you when you're sawing logs ?)

Dunno whether the little Yodel Hound bastidd dips his nose, waves his paw, or wags his tail, but a whole PACK of those romantic little bastids can fire their loudest cries / yips / yodels and screeches within MILLISECONDS of one another.

They do it just down my lane pretty near every night, when there's some Moon.

OK ready, ? ....3,.....2,.....1,....OWWWOOOooooo

GTC

I love it when they do that. Gives me good ideas on where to make stands. smile
I have several howls on my Foxpro that can set them off. Two of the best are the female invitation howl and a couple of different challenge howls. I've been able to set off as many as three different packs howling in response. Great way to get a general location on them.

That little bastid had no idea what he started that night when he just about blew me out of my tent. I have extracted considerable revenge in the intervening years.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
One of my fellow hunters woke the rest of us in camp up with panicked, horrified screams for help. We were chasing bear in SE AK at the time. In that 3/4 asleep stage, not a whole lot makes much sense, but when it's as a result of a man's screaming, and seeing people grabbing rifles and running out of the tent into bear country in their skivvies, well...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was awakened this morning when I "heard" my 82 year old mother's voice calling from downstairs. I've been her caretaker for a while. Problem is, she passed away last week.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
by a bear draggin your ass out of the tent.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
In a scientifically curious sort of way, I find it interesting that no one, thus far, has admitted to waking up after a rough night next to some fat, ugly skank they wouldn't be seen with in daylight because, in this group, you damn well know THAT has happened.

I can only deduce that:

A) Our Campfire brethren would rather face a charging grizzly than admit to such a transgression, or...

B) Standards around the 'Fire are even lower than we suspect, because such incidents are viewed as routine and possibly even desirable outcomes for some. Not that I'd point any fingers, mind you, but a few suspects spring immediately to mind...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
Hearing the sirens and "INCOMING" right before the mortars and rockets start landing inside the wire!

By far the most terrifying experience of my life. That siren goes off and your heart rate instantly spikes. Sweat forms on your upper lip and the hair stands up on every inch of your body. Muscles tense with anticipation.

You KNOW it's coming. You just don't know if you're the destination or if the tent 5 doors down is.

Do you run, dive, freeze or just crap your pants?

There is just no possible way to get small enough to feel secure...

Then it hits and you're left with that sick feeling, somebody you know is wounded...

That happens 20 times in 24 hours, sleep doesn't come easy for the next few days...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's nothing like a 2am phone call. Your 1st thought is 'who died' or 'who's in the hospital'. When it turns out to be a drunk with a wrong number, it's actually a relief.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 4th_point, 2ndwind, 21 invisible), 17,372 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,996
Posts18,540,247
Members74,053
Most Online21,066

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.