Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The Cardinals make a miracle comeback and win in overtime to go 4 and 0... that's proof Jesus loves me most...

Kent

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I knew it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I saw your reply this morning after I had finished some loads and fixed breakfast. I didn't have time to respond at that time, as I had to drop my Mom off at the beauty shop on my way to the range.

Had some fun, confirmed some good loads, and doubled my Beowulf eek . That was exciting. smile

now let's discuss generalities.

Fair enough.

Generally, I find Paul's letters, as well as those from James, Peter, and John, to be essential in understanding and giving proper context to the four Gospels.

Peter named Paul as a beloved Brother in his second letter but maybe you would toss out Peter's letters, also.

Paul's letters were not prophetic. He was an apostle whose job was to teach and primarily he expounded on the Gospel not expanded it.

As to whether Paul's letters are God's literal word, I would say not His Word, unless Paul is quoting something told to him by Christ, but given or inspired by God through His Holy Spirit.

Paul's letters are also instrumental in instructing believers about the Holy Spirit, who Jesus spoke about but had not yet arrived to minister to His followers.

But, generally, I can tell from some of your posts later on this thread that you fully believe Paul was inconsequential and possibly even a charlatan. I don't.

It seems you split hairs over hope and faith claiming the thief on the cross had no faith, only hope. Jesus mentioned faith 25 times in the Gospel's and hope once, and then in the context of hoping to be paid back for lending. I think He was pretty set on the importance of faith and saw that in the thief's heart. But believe what you will.

So generally, you won't convince me that Paul's letters have no place in the Gospel's and I won't convince you that they not only do, but are essential which is why they are there.

Fair enough.

Thanks for the reply and have a nice evening. smile

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The their realized (and knew and believed) that Jesus was the Son of God. His faith was that Jesus was the Christ, though that realization was sudden and astounding.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to whether Paul's letters are God's literal word, I would say not His Word,

You don't accept Apostle Paul's statement "when you received from us he Word of God's message, you accepted no the word of men, but what It really is, the Word of God"? 1 Thessalonians 2:13

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fatjack34
My Dad would get pissed at something or someone and more than once exclaim loudly: "Jesus H. Christ!!!"

He is long since come and gone from this place so I cannot ask him. Does anyone of you knowledgeable Church folk know for sure what the "H." is for?

Thanks!

Jake, the heavy set one of the Blues Brothers, taught me that the correct way is "Jesus H. Tap Dancing Christ". Was that what he was doing during the "missing years"?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Glad you had a good day and hope for a better evening...

I appreciate Paul's letters and understand the context of them, I doubt he ever believed there would be a new testament and that his letters would be taken by some as gospel. The issue is the Rapture, which Paul introduced because the Thessalonians were concerned about their dead and Jesus's second coming. I have no problem what he wrote, just the interpretation by the church, it has made his words prophetic and I don't believe Jesus needed to talk through Paul about these issues every time the new churches were concerned.

Paul also wrote things that conflicted with Jesus's word, again we are all human and it's not an issue until we are told Paul's words are gospel or Jesus's words.

I believe Jesus came and gave his message, he lived it, didn't write it and he could have, there was a reason and a lesson. I trust the words of his personal disciples first, though much of the gospels were written by assistants/confidants well after.

My overall issue is the exclusionary prophetic mention of the Rapture in this thread... When Jesus spoke of the end times he said something to the effect of gathering his chosen from the 'heavens' and the four winds of the earth... My mention of the criminal also references the criminal as being with Jesus in paradise immediately after death... the faith issue isn't stated and just something I found interesting, but I said it could be in translation, though Jesus didn't reference faith either in that instance, just acceptance, don't try to insinuate I was denying faith overall... So why raise the dead if they are already in heaven?

I don't know why you guys bring this kind of stuff up on the open forum, Jesus isn't offended about talk of dogs in heaven, he may enjoy the levity... but I imagine he is offended every time someone undecided gets turned off by bible thumpers when the message isn't even his.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by eyeball
The their realized (and knew and believed) that Jesus was the Son of God. His faith was that Jesus was the Christ, though that realization was sudden and astounding.

I can accept that though it wasn't stated, he still wasn't baptized or obviously following any tenets or commandments.

Kent

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by fatjack34
My Dad would get pissed at something or someone and more than once exclaim loudly: "Jesus H. Christ!!!"

He is long since come and gone from this place so I cannot ask him. Does anyone of you knowledgeable Church folk know for sure what the "H." is for?

Thanks!

Jake, the heavy set one of the Blues Brothers, taught me that the correct way is "Jesus H. Tap Dancing Christ". Was that what he was doing during the "missing years"?

One of my all time faves! Have you seen the light?
[video:youtube]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=z5KGLPs_gls&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dz5KGLPs_gls[/video]

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By: eyeball

I can accept that though it wasn't stated, he still wasn't baptized or obviously following any tenets or commandments.

Kent

If you read the Gospels in Their entirety you will discover baptism was not instituted until the day of Jesus' ascension.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What do you call the act that "John the Baptist" was doing if not baptisms?

How about the ritual cleansing baths required under Jewish law to remove uncleanliness?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Ringman

Originally Posted By: eyeball

Kent

If you read the Gospels in Their entirety you will discover baptism was not instituted until the day of Jesus' ascension.

When did it become a requirement for salvation?.... Gospely...

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, in 1 Convictions 2:18 it talks about the thief on the cross being taken dawn, baptized than nailed back up. That is the only way he could join Christ in Paradise.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
See, if I hadn't slept through that seminary class, I wouldn't have missed that.... thanks.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
APDDSN0864,

I was not clear enough. Sorry. Here's what Apostle Paul thought about John's Baptism:

"It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. He said to them, �Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?� And they said to him, �No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.� And he said, �Into what then were you baptized?� And they said, �Into John�s baptism.� Paul said, �John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.� When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. There were in all about twelve men."
Acts 19:1-7

You can see Apostle Paul re-baptized them in the Name of the Lord.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What makes any of you think that WE are good enough to go to doggy heaven?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Glad to help.

grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pets will be in heaven but they will hopefully be quite and not crap in other people's yard.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Ringman
APDDSN0864,

I was not clear enough. Sorry. Here's what Apostle Paul thought about John's Baptism:

"It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. He said to them, �Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?� And they said to him, �No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.� And he said, �Into what then were you baptized?� And they said, �Into John�s baptism.� Paul said, �John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.� When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. There were in all about twelve men."
Acts 19:1-7

You can see Apostle Paul re-baptized them in the Name of the Lord.

So is Paul the one that came to baptize with the Holy Spirit and the Fire?

Kent

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 55 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,883
Posts18,518,231
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.