Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
taking, let's say, Oklahoma and Kansas with it. Maybe Louisiana too. If they were to secede after the election, what do y'all think would happen? I mean, lets say the impetus was simple math...the economy. Let's say these three or four states simply said they couldn't continue to do things economically, the way the Feds wanted to and also they didn't agree with the way things were going socially, let's say with the disregard to our borders and the constant clamor for gun control despite the Constitution, Supreme Court rulings and common sense. What would the Feds do about it? I mean, if the msm is truly enough in the pocket of the big boys, I'm sure something could be drummed up...Obama voters being kept down, racism, whatever. But seriously, there aren't any slaves now to free. How could it be spun? The world knows the United States claims to be free. How can a country claiming to be such prevent states that freely entered a union from freely leaving, when there is nobody to "protect"?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would move there if they would have me.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If that were to happen I could see the new republic or whatever forming an L shaped country because I would imagine several of the western states would join.
The reasoning behind any federal intervention would be simple enough, theft by those states wishing to leave the union. The Fed would claim those states still hold assets belonging to the fed and would send in either US troops or the UN to retrieve their assets and take back control of the union.

The original international turd
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
would be like a bad breakup. we could just leave their schit in the yard for them to come get lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
would be like a bad breakup. we could just leave their schit in the yard for them to come get lol

They wouldn't need to prove you weren't going to give it back, they'd just send in troops to get it and in the process try to bring those states back into line.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by T LEE

as would I, especially if OK were involved. My years in Bartlesville and Tulsa were great, and the people there about as friendly as you'll find anywhere.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
IF that ever happened, I think more states than just those named would follow suit.

As to troops being sent in. The South makes up the vast majority of fighting units. No way southerners would enter Texas or any other Southern state, under orders of Obama.

Maybe they could send in the Connecticut National Guard to Texas.....laughin.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by T LEE
Sorry TLee, we got quails, no cats allowed.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
we have been there, done that, and though some of us still keep the faith, and wave the flag, the effort failed. Not only failed, but was damn expensive in men and material.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/04/12.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's not as strange as it might seem and as Maarty said, something I hadn't thought of, an L shaped nation. Hopefully, a confederacy.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
we have been there, done that, and though some of us still keep the faith, and wave the flag, the effort failed. Not only failed, but was damn expensive in men and material.

The North was able to claim the moral high ground because of the slave issue. What's the North's moral high ground this go around? I'm serious.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by derby_dude
That's not as strange as it might seem and as Maarty said, something I hadn't thought of, an L shaped nation. Hopefully, a confederacy.

California wouldn't join but then they'd be left out in the cold and could be given back to Mexico. Not much would change.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
it would not be North vs South this time............

Sam......

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

No need for a civil war. It wouldn't happen.

We're talking about peaceful, amicable, divorce.

Last edited by Foxbat; 11/04/12.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
and that won't/ can't happen. There is no 'just walking away'

Sam......

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If Mississippi didn't join them then I would pack my guns and move to Texas.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Why not? As I pointed out, there is no standing military that would attempt to force Texas et al to stay. It's not 1860.

There is no moral banner, there is no Lincoln and unlike in the 1860's, military units aren't by state.

What would Obama do, order the 1st Cavalry Division to threaten it's neighbors?

Obama's hands would be tied. He would have no mandate from the nation and no military to wield. It would be over in weeks.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, let's assume OK, KS, TX and LA legislatures agreed on where to have the capitol, what to use for money and some Articles of Federation and the Feds don't arrest the legislators individually before they could even get halfway started, and the four states actually declared themselves an independent country.

Uncle Sam won't like it, again, and would take steps to do something about it. I imagine the 82nd and 101st would sieze Dallas/Ft. Worth immediately. The Navy would blockade the coast and the Marines would immediately sieze Galveston, New Orleans and any other deep water ports along the coast line. Interstate roads would be cut off and most seconday roads as well so no trucks could get through.

Smuggling would still get some goods through but not enough, so store shelves would be completely bare in two days as the blockade prevented any resupply. OR, the new confederate gov't would institute strict rationing with severe penalties including death for hoarders.

OK and KS can probably produce enough food to feed the new country but AFAIK there aren't a whole lot of manufacturing facilities in those 4 states. TX and OK probably still have some oil somewhere and LA has some refineries (if the Marines didn't hold them), but any off shore oil supply would be gone, it would all have to come up from underground. You still can't eat it but at least it would be a source of trade to get the manufactured and other goods needed.

Mexico would be the main port of entry for the 1 million and one things the residents need. So Texas would have to cozy up real nice to them, that is if they didn't decide the time was ripe for trying to take back part or all of it.

Any countries trading with the new confederation would get trade sanctions from the US gov't. Now some nations wouldn't care, so the new confederacy would probably reach out to China. Maybe. I don't know if they'd risk their much larger trade relations with the rest of the US.

Let's further assume that the highly mechanized and mobile US Army does not fan out from the airports along the excellent highway and secondary road system to seize everything in sight. A ridiculous assumption, BTW, they'd control 75% of the ground in the first week.

But let's assume they didn't. With strict rationing of food, fuel and everything else, and the only countries ready to deal with you being the Chinese communists, Iran or the Mexicans (MAYBE), the populace - only 52% of whom originally went along with the jingoism and sloganeering to support secession in the first place - would be pretty pissed at their new government within two months. They don't live on farms mostly any more, are not used to self sufficiency, and want their Walmarts back.

I'd give it maybe 6 months before they'd ask to be brought back into the Union.

But I could be wrong. Give it a try, it would be interesting to see how it would actually pan out.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Why not? As I pointed out, there is no standing military that would attempt to force Texas et al to stay. It's not 1860.

There is no moral banner, there is no Lincoln and unlike in the 1860's, military units aren't by state.

What would Obama do, order the 1st Cavalry Division to threaten it's neighbors?

Obama's hands would be tied. He would have no mandate from the nation and no military to wield. It would be over in weeks.

There's no standing army to oppose the Feds either. What would happen is that federal forces would arrest all the politicians who came up with such an idea and charge them with treason.

The issue was settled once and for all in 1865. Once in there's no taking your marbles and leaving just because you don't agree with the rest of the nation.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
and that won't/ can't happen. There is no 'just walking away'
Be easier to leave Islam.They just kill you.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,774
Posts18,515,658
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.